Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on a ride with a few friends the bolt that holds on my gear shift lever fell out leaving me stuck in 6th. Fun fun.

Use this site for reference: http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/9/Kawasaki.aspx

Bolt:
Tag #: 92002
Kawi #: 92002-1926
Anyone know the thread pattern of this bolt/size?

also, my friend managed to bend my tie rod assembly, the rod that runs off the lever to the transmission side of the linkage. Any idea what size rod it is and what thread pattern? thinking about buying a piece of rod and threading it.

Rod Assem.
Tag #: 39110
Kawi #: 39110-1075

·
Registered
313 Posts
this same thing happened to me a little while back, i was riding down the road, went to down shift, but the shifter was completely limp, though i was only going like 25-30mph and was able to pull off right away and luckily the bolt had gotten caught in the linkage (it didnt fall off to be lost forever) and i was able to get it back in with the tool kit on the bike good enough to get home and re-locktite and torque it, but in your situation i would probably just got to the dealer and buy the oem parts to fix it, hope you get it back on the road soon

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it would take at least 4 days to get the parts in. Everywhere i've tried calling is Kawi. Direct and they have to order the parts in before they can even get them for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
do you still have the shift lever?

if so, why not just take it to the hardware store and find a metric bolt that fits?

why not just straighten out the rod? how bad can it be? if you want to thread your own, do you have metric threading tools and a source to some metric sized rod?
a buddy of mine has a $600 tap and die kit (so he says) and can do the rod. Home Depot sells this rod apparently and some say they sell it threaded as well. I'm waiting on my gf to get home so i can go look. The bolt on the other hand isn't just threaded all the way. It has a smooth fatter part that fits snugly in the lever itself, and then it tapers down to a smaller threaded portion that threads into the mount that bolts to the bike. Hope they have something like this at home depot too. Will def. be looking to get some loctite this time.

I'm going to attempt to bend back the rod first as mentioned. Requires me to purchase a Benzo torch. At least by the time this little unexpected project is fixed i may have a few new tools in the arsenal....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fixed the bolt issue. Used a 8x1.25 bolt, although i'm not sure thats the proper thread pattern as it snugged up quickly. It worked however because the bolt was just long enough that when it snugged up it was tight already. I used two washers on either side of the leaver to keep it from having side to side play because this bolt isn't tapered at the top with the smooth portion that runs through the lever. I put some blue loctight on the treads and tightened it enough that the lever can still play up and down to shift but not thread itself out again. it's a good temp-fix.

That being solved, We heated up the rod to bend it back into shape (mind you it was bent along the threads). Well not thinking about the thermodynamics of metal, in hindsight this was a poor idea. The threads expanded and will no longer thread on this side... *sigh*. If its not one thing it's always another.

Seems home depot and lowes only like to carry Standard threaded rod and i saw no metric rod anywhere close to the size i needed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Try McMaster Carr for your threaded rod, but you may be better off ordering OEM. (go to the site and enter "threaded rod" in the search box).

The thread expanded?? Did you get your friend to run a die down the threaded part to see if it would go? There may be some slight resistance, or even a little shaving, but whatever, don't force it if it doesn't want to go.

Also, if the thread is exanded, try freezing it, then install it while it's still frozen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread from the grave, however I would like to thank '91slicktop' for your follow up information which got me out of a tough place last night.

Here's some more information which I hope will help some poor sod out when the bolt falls out of their bike!

So your holding your gear selector in your hand thinking 'bugger, what now'.
While this bolt is very important, thankfully its not to much of a drama to fix

First off you will need;
-M8 x50mm bolt with nut (8x1.25)
-Nylon Washers to prevent scratching
-Thread Tape
-Thread locker (to stop the damn thing falling out again)

1) First put a nylon washer on the bolt
2) Wrap the top half of the bolt up with tape to build it up so it snuggly fits through the large hole on the gear selector without moving around. Look at the picture of the original bolt if you have no idea what I mean.
3) Push the bolt through the gear selector and put another 1-2 nylon washers on the end of it.
4) Add the Nut and thread it half way along the remainder of the bolt
5) Add another nylon washer on the other side to prevent scratching up the bike.
6) Add your thread locker onto the end of the bolt then tighten the bolt up into the bike
7) Use the nut to get as much of the bolt inside the bike while keeping the lever straight and to reduce lateral movement.

This fix isn't perfect and probably won't last the test of time however it will last a week or two or a genuine replacement bolt.

This is what the bolt looks like according, it can be obtained on ebay at the following link.
NEW Genuine Kawasaki GPZ500 GPX600 ZZ R600 Gear Lever Pivot Bolt 92002 1926 | eBay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts