Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Police ID motorcyclist killed in collision on Galleria Blvd.

Published 12:00 am PDT Thursday, September 4, 2008
Story appeared in OUR REGION section, Page B2

The Roseville Police Department has identified the motorcyclist killed on Galleria Boulevard as Igor Kravchuk, 21, of Sacramento.

Kravchuk's 2007 Honda motorcycle collided with a 2003 Mercedes Benz four-door sedan Tuesday afternoon on Galleria Boulevard near Antelope Creek Drive.

The Mercedes was turning left into the Galleria mall from northbound Galleria Boulevard. Kravchuk was riding his motorcycle southbound on Galleria Boulevard and struck the Mercedes broadside, according to a Roseville Police Department press release.

The 65-year-old driver of the car did not require ambulance transportation. Kravchuk was declared dead at the scene.
Southbound lanes of Galleria Boulevard were closed for about four hours during an investigation. The collision remains under investigation.
– Bill Lindelof

http://www.sacbee.com/roseville/story/1209146.html
Another rider killed in my neck of the woods by a cager turning left in front of him...always always ALWAYS assume a cager is going to turn in front of you!

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
yep, i always assume that. basicly cause it happens to me constantly. i don't even post about it no more it happens so much.

i just told my youngest boy the other day, when your out riding two wheels, figure every body is out to kill you, even other bikers (some are idiots ya know).

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
It's true that you should always ride defensively and expect the worst. However, sometimes these things are (all but) unavoidable...

RIP

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Thoughts and prayers to the loved ones left behind.

--David

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
thats my number one rule, they always seem to think they can make that left turn before you get there

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I know this isnt what the threads about, but where did the word cager come from?
Well Timmy, back when I was a boy...

The word is basically just playing on the fact that in a car/truck you are surrounded by the frame (as if it were a cage). Bikers use the word, b/c we are not surrounded by a cage. Get it?

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
I know this isnt what the threads about, but where did the word cager come from?
No clue where it originates, but refers to people in cars as having a "cage" around them...vs. riding in the open. I'm thinking it was probably Bad Bob Barber or some surfer from California that coined it.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
It's true that you should always ride defensively and expect the worst. However, sometimes these things are (all but) unavoidable...

RIP
They can be at least greatly reduced if you slow down and plot an evasive route any time you see an oncoming motorist stopped or slowing for no apparent reason, with or without using their left signal. Most of the riders who crash this way just continue on throttle with blind faith that it won't happen.

Cager was coined from the car driver being in a "cage" surrounded by metal, as opposed to being out in the elements as we riders are.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
They can be at least greatly reduced if you slow down and plot an evasive route any time you see an oncoming motorist stopped or slowing for no apparent reason, with or without using their left signal. Most of the riders who crash this way just continue on throttle with blind faith that it won't happen.

Cager was coined from the car driver being in a "cage" surrounded by metal, as opposed to being out in the elements as we riders are.
Ya man, that's for sure. Def. not arguing that. I was just pointing out that sometimes it's not foreseeable. For instance, a guy comin' at you decides at the very last second that he's gonna pull into the store across the street and cuts it over w/o looking. Know what I mean Vern?;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if this was a factor, but I'm always really extra aware when the sun is behind me (dusk and dawn) since that makes it even more difficult for oncoming traffic to see you.

And the brakes are your friend.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Ya man, that's for sure. Def. not arguing that. I was just pointing out that sometimes it's not foreseeable. For instance, a guy comin' at you decides at the very last second that he's gonna pull into the store across the street and cuts it over w/o looking. Know what I mean Vern?;)
Fer sure. I just think too many riders "trust" that the cager sees them and won't make the move. You just can't take things for granted the way you can when you're in your car. If you're in a high traffic area with shopping plazas on both sides that's a real danger zone and you need to recognize it and slow down. You're absolutely right though, man. There's a reason why this kind of situation kills more riders than any other. :(

·
Registered
147 Posts
My number one street riding rule is "Always assume EVERYONE is trying to kill you at all times". Always anticipate what each car could do to try to kill you. I would have been killed a few times by now if I did not treat EACH and every car on the road as a threat. When someone does something that could cause a crash, I am ready for it because I have been anticipating that exact move already.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Old people are the worst. Had an old dude in a big ass caddy flat out look me in the eye the other day, then pull out in front of me anyway. Locked up the rear in a panic, scared the shit out of me.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Old people are the worst. Had an old dude in a big ass caddy flat out look me in the eye the other day, then pull out in front of me anyway. Locked up the rear in a panic, scared the shit out of me.
Ever heard of front brakes? :p

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
My number one street riding rule is "Always assume EVERYONE is trying to kill you at all times". Always anticipate what each car could do to try to kill you. I would have been killed a few times by now if I did not treat EACH and every car on the road as a threat. When someone does something that could cause a crash, I am ready for it because I have been anticipating that exact move already.
:plusone: Truer words were never spoken.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts