Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happens every once in a while but this is the first time in a long time that someone was a real asshole about it.

Im driving my truck home from work tonight in a pretty decent rain. Ive got my running lights on and can see just fine. I come up behind some (presumably a kid) in a car with darkened tail lights and shitty aftermarket HID's. I'm only doing 50mph in a 55.

As I come up behind him he accelerates to match my 5mph under the speed limit speed so I'm thinking "OK whatever, I'll just chill back here its no big deal" although I had a long day at work and just want to get home.

Suddenly he hits his breaks shaving about 15mph off of his speed. (I was not even close to tail gating) I just chalk it up to him not being able to see because of his shitty headlights and when its clear to go by I go to pass him as politely as possible.

As I come up on him the guy crosses the center line right in front of me. I honked the horn and shit can it to get out of his way. Now I'm in front of him. I'm not sure if he did it on purpose or not, but I decided to tell myself it was an accident.

This is where it gets crazy.

The guy throws his high beams on like an asshole. I still decide to ignore the dumbass. Then the guy speeds up and starts flashing his high beams at me. I completely lost my shit after about 20 seconds of constant HID flashing in my mirrors. I dont want this guy behind me anymore in case he decides to follow me and I do something stupid.

So in a state rage I put the driving skills I have but barely use to use. I slammed on the brakes putting my truck into a controlled skid while slowing down rapidly giving him just enough room to fly by me and scare him a bit. I then followed him with my high beams on for a while then let him get away before taking a round about way home.

Then I think to myself. I'm driving a two tone 1978 GMC with a giant banner for our MC club on my back window. I'm in a highly identifiable truck. God I hope this asshole doesn't recognize my shit later since we both live in the same small town. Not out of fear, I just don't want to go to jail later on because someone wants to start a fight.

It would have been better off if I just stayed behind him but god he was going slow and I made no intention to be a dick about it. Was I wrong in getting pissed and slamming on my brakes? Would you just have ignored the shit the entire trip home? Shit I don't know anymore. Sometimes I wonder if putting stupid assholes in there place is worth it half the time anymore.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Even if you didn't tailgate, did you come up on him fairly rapidly? Sometimes that gives the appearance of tailgating, not to mention your taller vehicle probably put you headlights right in his rearview mirror. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Even if you didn't tailgate, did you come up on him fairly rapidly? Sometimes that gives the appearance of tailgating, not to mention your taller vehicle probably put you headlights right in his rearview mirror. :dunno:
God no, I came up on him very slowly. We where doing the same speed for a mile or so before he slowed abruptly. Also at the point he hit his brakes, I was several car lengths back.

Also, my old truck is 2wd. If you've ever seen a 34 year old 2wd truck, you would know that the headlights are not that high and new pickup trucks make my truck look like a car height wise.

IDK, there was a slight curve in the road although I could more then see to pass. Thats why I assumed he did not intend to cross the line at first since I was on the inside. It wasn't a turn just a very long curve in the country where you can see a long ways and at night you can tell if a car is coming the other way almost a mile away from its headlights. It was not an inappropriate place to go around someone. My thinking is that the close call with the horn is what set him off regardless if he cut me off on purpose or not. Things did not go exactly how he wanted or excepted it I quess and he went full retard.

I may have started to pass right before the double yellow ended, maybe that was it? IDK. I stand by the fact I didn't do anything wrong but at the same time, I'm the one that took an action that first lead to it, so I wonder sometimes if I should just do 40mph home through the country instead of passing some idiot to save face is all.

I can't believe I'm saying that, maybe I'm just getting tired of the stupid shit as I get older.

This spring I passed a guy in clear weather that was doing 40 in a 55 on the way home on a straight patch of road that was straight and level for miles. I didn't cut him off or anything. He decided to tail gate me and follow me. It wasn't until I stopped and got out of my truck that he left. I know for sure I did nothing wrong that time. Its pretty obvious that these people are just retards that think they can screw with people from the safety of there vehicle (at least at first). So far I have just dealt with it when it happens. I'm just wondering if I should deal with it differently when it does.

Its hard though.

·
Registered
941 Posts
It would have been better off if I just stayed behind him but god he was going slow and I made no intention to be a dick about it. Was I wrong in getting pissed and slamming on my brakes?
Signs point to yes.
Would you just have ignored the shit the entire trip home?
Not exactly. I would have continued on at a speed I was comfortable with, and if he stayed behind me, taken the long (or long long) way home. If he still stayed behind me, I would probably have taken a detour to the local cop shop.

Shit I don't know anymore. Sometimes I wonder if putting stupid assholes in there place is worth it half the time anymore.
The key point here is that they are stupid. They don't learn. Having owned some very slow vehicles (Mercedes 240D and Suzuki Samurai) as well as some faster ones (see sig for examples), I've been on the giving and receiving ends of passing and being passed. If I'm the slow one, and they go around, I don't sweat it. If I'm the fast one, and get around, I usually get around and gone pretty quickly. I never try to antagonize another driver. Putting a driver in their place is best left to the folks with badges, guns, and ticket books.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I prolly woulda done the same thing. Or i would have hugged the center lane so he couldn't have passed and went like 15-20mph for a while. I can get very angry on the road not gunna lie. Doesn't help that i drive a bigger SUV also. When im on my bike and someone is being a assclown i usually just fly by them and go fast for a while until they are gone. But in my car its a different story lol.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
people are idiots on the road. Let it go. I used to be the exact same way, but at the end of the day, what fucking difference does it really make. Get home safe and be with your family/friends, not a victim of road rage from the other driver, you just never know what they are capable of.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I almost flipped a guy the bird today. But I didn't, and I'm glad I stopped myself, because no good could have come from it. Coming back from Folsom I was passing through South Lake Tahoe and this dude in a white Ram all of a sudden starts going 20 under, with the other lane packed full and still doing the speed limit. This trapped me and two or three other vehicles behind him until there was a break in the traffic in the other lane. What was the guy's deal? I have no idea, but I got around and miles away from him in a few minutes. Worth provoking a confrontation with a guy in a two ton pickup? No.

Side note: I really do need to adjust the suspension for my weight. I've lost about ten pounds since I got the bike (now 155) and that ten pounds has taken the ride quality from a bit harsh to "loss of traction on rough roads".

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For me it was the flashing that would not end. I took it as a threat or challenge which I decided to accept, but then he sped off like a bitch.

But oh well, better to have them speed of then beating someones ass with a bat on the side of the road at 11pm in the rain.

·
Powerhungry
37,700 Posts
For me it was the flashing that would not end. I took it as a threat or challenge which I decided to accept, but then he sped off like a bitch.

But oh well, better to have them speed of then beating someones ass with a bat on the side of the road at 11pm in the rain.
that's debatable.

sometimes people need a good ass beating.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
check your head lights, it sounds to me like you were blinding him and got him upset.

some of those lowered imports are specially vulnerable to poorly adjusted head lights.

By the age of your truck it is possible, specially if you have fog lights and what not.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that's debatable.

sometimes people need a good ass beating.
Ive always said that there is little wrong in the world that a good ass beating can't fix, but that also usually end up with hand cuffs now adays.

Venom, my headlights are adjusted properly that actually a pet peeve of mine. It always pisses me off a little when someones headlight is a high beam, how do you not notice that when you park? My running lights on the bumper are hit or miss at times since they are cheap wal-mart specials, but they are not bright, they are just there to light up the eyes of deer a little better.

meh.

I'm over it now, but my trucks been backed into my driveway instead of pulled in all week lol.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
This happens every once in a while but this is the first time in a long time that someone was a real asshole about it.

This ^^...Ist, you did admit that it happens every "once in awhile". Then there's another admission that even though rarely, others have been an asshole about it. I've had my same camry for 9 years now, and never once has this type of thing happened. Hmmm.
It's like wow, I go to bars, and every "once in awhile" I get into a fight. That's when I need to re-examine things a tad. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I suppose I could see where you are coming from but by every once in awhile I mean like once a year. I'm not talking a couple of times a month or anything.

To be honest I think my exhaust might have something to do with it. Its got a 350 V8 that the previous owner decided to remove all the exhaust from the manifolds back and replace it with true dual exhaust all the way back. The only thing in the exhaust system on both sides other then open pipe is a 2 foot glass pack half way down on each side. It probably sounds like you are being passed by a drag car when I go by and maybe it startles some people or they just dont like it.

I can fly by people in my car when its safe and never have a problem. Ive passed a lot of slow farmers in the car or on the bike and dont have problems, but the 2 times a year I do it in the slow ass truck, it seems like the odds of something happening go way up. Im not out racing around like an asshole, I drive that truck like a granpa.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I usually settle this kind of shit by slamming my brakes, pulling over and getting out of my truck with arms open. I will fight so dirty and fast, that by the end you'll be missing your nuts ears and eyeballs.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I usually settle this kind of shit by slamming my brakes, pulling over and getting out of my truck with arms open. I will fight so dirty and fast, that by the end you'll be missing your nuts ears and eyeballs.
Comin' in to the forum with guns a blazin' eh?

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Or you will find one of the guys like the ones in this forum and shoot you right in the hearth.

No one fights with fists and foot anymore, you really dont need to have much skill to end a fight with a gun

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Or you will find one of the guys like the ones in this forum and shoot you right in the hearth.

No one fights with fists and foot anymore, you really dont need to have much skill to end a fight with a gun

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Man, I'd be pissed if someone shot MY fireplace.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I suppose I could see where you are coming from but by every once in awhile I mean like once a year. I'm not talking a couple of times a month or anything.

To be honest I think my exhaust might have something to do with it. Its got a 350 V8 that the previous owner decided to remove all the exhaust from the manifolds back and replace it with true dual exhaust all the way back. The only thing in the exhaust system on both sides other then open pipe is a 2 foot glass pack half way down on each side. It probably sounds like you are being passed by a drag car when I go by and maybe it startles some people or they just dont like it.

I can fly by people in my car when its safe and never have a problem. Ive passed a lot of slow farmers in the car or on the bike and dont have problems, but the 2 times a year I do it in the slow ass truck, it seems like the odds of something happening go way up. Im not out racing around like an asshole, I drive that truck like a granpa.
Come on Weeb...that's too many times man, lol. I know my bar analogy is maybe not totally applicable here, but if I go out drinking and get in a fight once a year, that's 12 fights in 12 years...sooner or later something bad is gonna happen. Yeah but it could be your exhaust..even when one of those a super-loud Harleys goes by me it's unnerving. You should get a decibel test on it to see where you stand.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts