Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have a 98 ZX6R - green o' course [:p]... it's a real clean stock bike with 14K miles, everything works well (could use a tune-up and a tensioner that isnt a PoS, but she screams nonetheless).

I have just started to get on the bike pretty hard and one thing I am noticing is that the front end likes to bobble in uneven twisties when you pick up the pace. The rodes I ride on have a lot of waves in the pavement. I have read articles on the ZX6Rs where the test riders complained of the same type of thing with the ZX6R becomming unsettled over less than ideal pavement; I always wondered what the hell they were talking about but now that my riding has improved, I am also starting to notice it. If you get the bike over at a good angle at speed and hit one of these waves, the rear end stays planted but the front wanders and there seems to be a disjoint in the balance of the bike.

So my confusiion is (being a veteran from the 4 wheeled race track (Porsches)) is that I was taught that a suspension is a SYSTEM and any one change effects the others. My question is why do I see so many people go run out and buy an Ohlins rear shock and then just leave it at that[?] It seems to me that in the situation I am describing, that improving the rear end plant would even unsettle the front MORE and make the problem WORSE. [:0]

My other question directly related to this is that there doesn't seem to be a complete suspension solution, there seems to be bits and peices you throw together. How does one insure proper rate and dampering matching between the front and the rear of the bike if you are using components from multiple manufacturers[?] This is critical.

Finally, who makes the REAL sh!t. I know everybody uses Ohlin but is that truly the real deal[?]

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Olin makes nice stuff and their price reflects it. If I were going with Olin I would probably go both ends. Many, I suspect, or interested mostly in the poser appeal.

Older ZX-6Rs are generally very stable. It is the new '03 ZX-6R that is a little squirrely

Companies like Race Tech will probably give you 90% of what Olin give you at a fraction of the price by rebuliding, respring and revalving your stock set-up.

Has the stock ride height of the bike been changed?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Have you check the head bearing?

When the magazines tested those year, '98-'99, they would drop the front about 10mm and raise the rear 5mm without inducing headshake.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually the head bearing was just replaced.

Maybe I'll play with the ride heights a little. Everything is fine in all conditions of speed, straight, turns, etc.. its just when you get into a non-smooth turn at a decent angle that the front and rear just don't seem to be working together like they should.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.