Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me naivety (sp?) but what are the differences between the two race circuits?

I'm new to the racing side of motorcycling...I just like watching so far :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
349 Posts
MOTOGP= The best of the best.

AMA= The guys trying to make it to MOTOGP

Think of it as AAA baseball. If you're good enough, you're going to get called up.

·
Registered
537 Posts
MotoGP is like F1 to cars.
In AMA bikes are derived from production models, in GP they are custom designed and build. Where else can you see a V5 sport bike with 200+ HP?
There is also 125cc and I think 250 GP.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
It's more like AMA is little league t-ball, World Superbike is AAA and MotoGP is the All-Star Games.

AMA and World superbike require stock looking production based machines. MotoGP rules disallow any use of production parts, so as not to infringe on World Superbike turf.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Indeed, just about all the exotica you see on GP bikes cannot be had unless you KNOW some people - then you gotta find a bike to put it on! Case in point - carbon discs, $4,000 per side, I believe they were permitted one year in WSBK but were banned because almost no team could afford such brakes.

GP bikes are your exotica no limit on budget sort of bikes. Essentially Honda has proven that if you dump enough money into it, you'll win.

SBK is supposed to be based on bikes you can buy from your dealer, and supposedly all the parts they have are available to you and I - but for a price and if you know the right people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The motoGP class of the motoGP is the best of the best! the fastest (and most expensive) machines. and the best riders (generally!). There are 3 classes in the motoGP. 125cc (2-strokes), 250cc (2-strokes), and the motoGP class (1000cc 4-stokes, formely 500cc 2-strokes). Since the introduction of the 1000cc 4-strokes in 2002, the motoGP class has become the ultimate and undisputed racing class in the world.

AMA is simply USA's superbike competition (just like British Superbikes or Australian Superbikes). World Superbikes is (supposedly) the next step up from national competitions, to international racing. The thing that attracts people to Superbikes (and that allways will), is that they are based on production bikes. It is in their rules. So, u can buy the machines that the riders are riding (100% stock though[xx(]!)Many good riders make the transition from SBK to MotoGP and vica-versa but it is generally accepted that the best riders race the in the MotoGP class of the MotoGP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.