Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seriously am starting to think that people in Honda's don't like those of us on sport bikes. Was on our main drag that is 6 lanes across, 3 for each direction of travel. Was in the far right east bound lane going by a slow moving Honda Accord, about dead even with their passenger rear fender when they started quickly moving into my lane! I'm glad that I do two things in traffic, when overtaking a car, I pay fairly close attention to them, and keep my bike in a lower gear so im in the power band at all times. I quickly tapped on the horn, swerved as far right as I dared, and went WOT and zipped around them. Flame me if you want for going WOT rather than getting on the brakes, I don't care. If I would have tried to slow down quickly I would have wound up going down because there wasn't enough room in the lane for both of us, and the cage is always going to win in a collision.

Then when turning onto my street, took the corner a little too hot and scraped my lower fairing. The turn onto my street has a pretty small dip, but it was enough to bottom out doing a 90 degree corner onto a wide street doing 35mph. Guess I shouldn't really say bottom out, cuz the suspension just compressed enough to scrape on the upside of the small dip. But at least I know my lil 250 will take crap like that and not even come close to feeling like it doesn't want to hold it's line.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
I always choose speeding up rather than breaking when faced with a cager who doesn't see me and tries to get in my lane. I usually avoid that situation though by quickly passing cagers. I never spend time right next to them.

Too many things can go wrong when slaming on the brakes - locking up, car behind you hitting you, etc. At least you can see every thing in front of you when you WOT....there's definitely more control than using the brakes.

Glad to hear you're OK....minus the fairings :(

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
[:+1] on using the gas over the brakes. You can stop a lot quicker than the car behind you.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FightingFalcon, I don't spend any more time next to a cage than necessary either. They were going slow, I was going fairly fast, they just decided to move over as I got next to them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When In Doubt - Wide Open Throttle. Let the bastards do whatever silly ass thing they going to do with out you in the middle of it. Glad you didn't get tagged, probably a good thing you use lower gear for this kind of situation. A slow moving cage is usually sign of something assinine about to happen. Sometimes you can wake them up with a flash of the headlight or a beep of the horn (rarely, if your horn is as pathetic as mine) and sometimes you can't. If you come across somebody driving like that it is best have a good look behind to see if brakes are an option and then get by the cage with as much room as possible, as quickly as possible. I usually try going around a slow cage on the left but in reality if they are going to do something stupid they could go either way, you just don't know.

Any way, hope your fairing scrape isn't too bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.