Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just doing some reading, and found a couple of threads (elsewhere) about removing the secondary butterflies on ZX-10Rs and ZX-14s.

Apparently there are some pretty big torque gains to be made in the vicinity of 4,000-6,000rpm. It is also apparent that removal creates a very lean condition (as much as 18:1) around those revs, which requires a PC3 to correct.

There is a bit of research going into this on ZX-10Rs and 636s (although the gains aren't as large as on the ZX-14), so I'm waiting to see what is discovered. I don't know whether it will be worthwhile on the 636 due to a few things, one of which being that they don't put out as much power as the larger bikes and are therefore less likely to need electronic intervention to limit power.

I was just wondering if anyone on here had heard of this, or tried it, and if so, what you thought of the results?

·
Registered
22 Posts
While there may be some power/torque to gain by doing this mod, the secondarys also allow the correct delivery of air/fuel. When you go WOT the secondarys help deliver linear fuel/air mix rather than just giving the engine a gut full of fuel and air.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Originally posted by peters82
While there may be some power/torque to gain by doing this mod, the secondarys also allow the correct delivery of air/fuel. When you go WOT the secondarys help deliver linear fuel/air mix rather than just giving the engine a gut full of fuel and air.
I'm thinking that is why he said you would need the powercommander to fix that.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I did it on my 6rr and you can feel the hard kick at 11,000 on up. You'll lose a little low end. Have not any dyno #'s on this, but seat of the pants tells me more than 2 or 3. Areally good hit at 11, almost like getting another gear. I have done many mods to my rr so maybe you won't have the same results. I have been told it is good for 2 to 3 hp. My bike was running a bit rich to start with and did't make any other map change. I would reccomend doing it, a few hp here and there add up. Later when I degree the cams and install the short stacks and do a valve adjustment I'm going to pull the shaft and fill the holes in the sides of the throttle bodies to smooth out the air flow even more. It doesn't long and is easy free hp. No bad side effects from this other than a little low end lose which doesn't bother me since i ride it at 9000+ in the twisties and dance on the shifter to keep it in it's powerband.

green the only way to flllyyy![:p][^]:D

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I have a few other things to do before doing anything with the butterflies, but I will look into this a bit further over the next month or two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.