Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ME!!! I cracked my oilpan yesterday from overtightning my drain plug!!! What a fuckin piss off!!! A new one is $180 bux, so I'm hoping to get one off a wreaked bike - but the search isn't goin well. No one wants to take the pan off a decent motor. All this right b4 the long weekend and I was supposed to be goin away for the weekend to a rally - now I gotta take the gas guzzling freakin car!!!! FACK!!!!!!!!![:M7]

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha......tell me about it.....last year I twisted the whole bleeder valve out of the rear caliper! You'd think I would have figured out by now not to over tighten things on the bike![:M74]

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,685 Posts
Originally posted by FullThrottle
Torque wrenches are your friend!
Add the service manual with all the torque specs in it and you have a nice 3-some. ;)

·
Registered
634 Posts
yeah, I learned the hard way one time when I was installing steel brake lines on my bike. Overtightened the banjo bolts twice on a Friday night right before I was supposed to go riding that night with the fellas and to an event Saturday. I used a torque wrench that started at 25 ft/lbs. I figured it wouldn't be that bad but those aluminum bolts snaped quick. I was pissed. I had to wait 4 days for new banjo bolts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by galcala
JB weld might be an easy quick fix but, dont know if you would want to risk it on an oil pan.

JB weld is the way to go! you got nothing to lose, also you can get this stuff in a grade which is stronger then metal itself.
Use a rubber seal around the drain plug this time.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
ronayers.com sells an OEM pan for an '05 for $109.

Part Number: 49034-0013
Description: PAN-OIL
Source: KAWASAKI
Price: $109.34

Oops, just noticed yours is an '03. Here is that one, same price, different part #:

Part Number: 49034-1147
Description: PAN-OIL
Source: KAWASAKI
Price: $109.87

·
Registered
380 Posts
I broke banjo bolts off all 4 calipers when doing brakes on my old car. That was an expensive dumbass move. Read CAREFULLY when really tired. Big difference between inch pounds and foot pounds!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW!!! Thanx 4 everything fella's, hopefully I can get that oilpan in a week or two (Shipping to Canada SUX!) A couple of friends suggested JB weld too, but I just don't feel comfortable using it on my oilpan. If it ever gave way I'd have oil all over my back tire....thats not a lesson I want to learn, at least me twistin the drain plug too tight didn't hurt me. (Well unless you count my pride and my wallet!) [:M32]

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess it doesn't really matter, that one is in Florida and you're in California. Both of those places are pretty far away from me, but the 1 in Florida would probably get here quiker since I'm on the East coast as well. But thanx, if I can't get that one I'd def. take yours, how much would you want for it?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Your probably used to working on cars. Did the same thing before and still happens to me once in a while trying to fix my mountain bike. But on my Kawi, everything is torqued.

·
Registered
188 Posts
LOL sorry man i do feel your pain. That's a common backyard mechanic mistake... tightening bolts/nuts too much. I get so P'd off when i have to work on a car or bike where someone has overtightened a bolt... especially on wheel lug nuts ( cars ) ... those freakin' tire shops have idiots who use air wrenches to put the lug nuts ON. Yep... if your gonna do your own service work .. buy a couple torque wrenches :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.