Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my 1st in a long time, 2nd-ever, laydown yesterday. Along w/ needing left fairing, tail repair, blinkers, and rearset, I have a bent fork for sure, and am hoping the frame is ok.

What happened? A blob of hay in the road on a blind corner w/ gravel in the run off, then target fixation, panic, etc., etc. Should've been more careful. Bunged knee and elbow and all else fine thx. to good gear. The bike however went beyond me and got knotted up with a guardrail post, pinning the front wheel while lifting the scooter. Handlebars now off angle when riding straight. The broken shifter/peg rearset was repaired on-site using the heelstop (aluminum plate w/ holes) as a makeshift rearset bracket - pre-drilled!. Good enough to get home and maybe a useful thought for others who find themselves w/ a busted shiftset far from home - hopefully nobody. Picture attached.
austinzx6r has attached this file: rearset_fix.jpg

Mostly I am glad to be ok; it is a unfun moment that one is grateful to walk away from. A good time to reflect on riding technique too :(

So, now I've admitted my sins - hope others can avoid the same mistakes and stay safe.

·
Registered
337 Posts
that was clever! thanks for sharing. I'm out practicing the things I did wrong that caused my last crash. It seems like no matter how much of it "wasn't your fault", you could have handled it better. Glad you're okay!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Could be that the forks aren't bent even though the bars are off. It is very common for the fork tubes to twist in the tripple clamps causing the misalignment. Loosen the clamps a bit and try to twist it back the other direction.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
SW's right, I've seen that on a buddy's street bike and also on a motocross bike I used to own. After a drop like that, loosening off the fork tubes may allow the possibly bent fork to free up and untwist if you will...

Not guaranteed, but a possibility anyway... good luck.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Austin, glad you are OK man, and here's to a quick recovery for you and the bike.

Smart to have good gear, bet it's hella hot in Texas still.

-Flash

·
Registered
185 Posts
Glad you are OK. You walked away which is the most important thing. 800mg of Iburprofen when the soreness creeps in. I should know. :-(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the thoughts. I realized today the rear sub-frame is off-kilter too. I've set the wheels of the insurance man in motion - we'll see what happens. Haven't had the heart to loosen the triple clamps and fix things (or not). I want a pure read on fixing the bike to factory-good.

Anywhoo - it's all just metal and plastic. Maybe a new paint scheme will emerge from the rebuilding.

Oh yeah......Yes it's hot for some of the year in TX (agreed SWJ?), but the gear stays on. This is why. Plus it's GREAT weather for most of the year :)

cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.