Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Why the hell would you ride with shorts only?? And saying that its hot outside is not a good reason. At least wear jeans and boots if not proper riding pants. You probably ride without a jacket or gloves too. And if it was legal, no helmet. Riding bikes is dangerous enough, why make it even more so?[:M77]

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've ridden in shorts, just not like an asshole. But offcourse its better to always wear a jean at least. My ankles didn't get hot that I noticed but on a cold day or night, when riding with jeans, I can feel my legs are cold on top and quite nice and warm from the knees down. THe bike pushes all air through the frame/around the engin I believe. I'm sure this si what makes my calves not freeze during winter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
yeah i ride in shorts sometimes,but its to the store or school which is around the block. i wont go and ride the expressway in shorts thats crazy, but my ankles do get hot sometimes with pants on to. its just some of you get all crazed out when people say they dont wear a helmet,jacket,gloves,boots, i mean shit its up to the rider and what they feel like, not because they are a so called squid. if it is just for a cruise and your not out stunting and shit go ahead,its your risk. i have ridden without a helmet to cruise through town even though i end up putting it on cause my eyes get all fucked up. i do go out for rides w/o my jacket to, in south texas its hot,humid and there is no breeze to cool you down. im not saying its safe but you can get fucked up to with full gear on to. i am just saying take it easy,just cause someone says they didnt wear gloves or a jacket,helmet,specific riding pants,boots,or full leathers you dont have to get all gear patrol,and bust everyones ass.[}:)]

·
Registered
394 Posts
[:Agree]

·
Registered
273 Posts
If its to hot to wear your gear its to hot to riding. Drive your car with the a/c on. it doesnt matter if your cruising or not its the other assholes that are in the cars like the one that was was in a hurry to get to a wawa and ran a stop sign and t-boned a biker "me" and put him in a hospital for 2 days and i wasnt riding aggressive at all just cruising to my buddys house you never know know when shit is gonna hit the fan but hey its your skin not mine do what you want to

·
Registered
394 Posts
I believe its called a "calculated risk". I would never ride without my helmet. But I have ridden with shorts and a tshirt and running shoes. A simple cruise around town in summer stopping at various shops etc does not go down well with a full one piece leather suit. and quite frankly, Ive come of my fifty when I was young at aroun 80KM/h once and about 40KM/h once. At those speeds road rash is bad, but not THAT bad. Why is it that no one coaches or tries to force a 16 year old lad with an honda LS to wear a one piece leather sui and pants when going to school? Because its a small bike. duh. If you don't go chasing liter bikes through town then I believe its a calculated risk that I AM sometimes willing to take.

Just my opinion

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
it's all a risk, don't worry...broken ankles and hamburger faces change minds easily

·
Registered
950 Posts
I also OCCASIONALLY ride in shorts (yes I know, I know. Blah blah blah). More so than my ankles, the inside of my knees and legs, specifically the parts that touch the frame, get really hot. Sometimes to the point of actually burning from the heat transfer through the frame. Much more comfortable to wear jeans even though I sweat more. It really is amazing how well they have designed this bike to transfer heat away from the engine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you wear flip flops when you ride in shorts the extra heat from your ankles will be able to escape through your toes... If its a really a hot day you could not wear your helmet so that the extra heat could escape through your head.... but of course if you ride like that I would recommend that you rub your entire body with Crisco or other type of vegetable oil. That way if you where to hit the hot asphalt you will slide along the road and not get hurt.

We all know what hitting the ground at 25mph could do to you. However you decide to ride enjoy yourself and use your head...

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Sorry to jack the thread but gotta tell ya what my wife and I saw yesterday (wish we woulda had the camera) and I shoulda said something...but didn't. Guy on a scooter with his daughter (hope it was his daughter anyhow) both dressed in tanktops, short shorts (not a pretty sight for the guy at first looked like a bear) flip flops, helmets and gloves. After seeing it, talking with the wife how ignorant it was and then laughing, I wondered if they meant to dress like that to see the reaction they got or not.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah, don't be an asshat and put on some pants. Not that long ago I was riding and some ass pulls up next to me. He was wearing cargo shorts, a beater and a helmet. He then proceeds to hop onto his seat and pull a flamingo. Regardless of whatever control you think you may have over your bike, there is always the unforseeable... The only time I ride w/o shorts is if its to grab a burger around the corner or get some gas. (Both aren't even a 1/2 mile and are basically at the entrance to my neighborhood... not that this is a good excuse)

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Originally posted by ak10r
If you wear flip flops when you ride in shorts the extra heat from your ankles will be able to escape through your toes...
[:Lol]

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by MRWGLO92
I also OCCASIONALLY ride in shorts (yes I know, I know. Blah blah blah). More so than my ankles, the inside of my knees and legs, specifically the parts that touch the frame, get really hot. Sometimes to the point of actually burning from the heat transfer through the frame. Much more comfortable to wear jeans even though I sweat more. It really is amazing how well they have designed this bike to transfer heat away from the engine.
Hell yeah - the frame rails up around the little bumpy pads under the tank/airbox cover get stupid hot.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.