1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Seemed factual to me. There wasn't one thing they made up in the entire story. The only problem I have with it was calling stunting street racing.

And I like to not call that "our community". If you're a stunter, then fine, bitch about it all you want. The vast majority of people here are just riders, not stunters, and distance themselves from that part of biking. That's like ragging on a story that depicts Americans as murderers. I'm an American and, to the best of my knowledge, I haven't murdered anyone in the past year or two, so I don't consider myself part of the "murderer community". Americans do murder, that's a fact along with bikers do stunt, but to lump either of those groups in with the general population is stretching it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
whta the fuck. you know not to push it when your a newbie. that is asking for it. come on have some scense

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
They really sound like they're grouping all of us into the "stunt" category. I do do occasional short fairly slow wheelies, and hit high speeds on some occasions, but I don't consider myself a stunter. This is exactly the kind of rapant BS that makes people have a hatred for motorcycles and the people that ride them. It's just propaganda to make the public think that all bikers are running from the cops and doing wheelies down the freeways.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by -gary

Seemed factual to me. There wasn't one thing they made up in the entire story. The only problem I have with it was calling stunting street racing.

And I like to not call that "our community". If you're a stunter, then fine, bitch about it all you want. The vast majority of people here are just riders, not stunters, and distance themselves from that part of biking. That's like ragging on a story that depicts Americans as murderers. I'm an American and, to the best of my knowledge, I haven't murdered anyone in the past year or two, so I don't consider myself part of the "murderer community". Americans do murder, that's a fact along with bikers do stunt, but to lump either of those groups in with the general population is stretching it.
I see what you mean, only people out there on the streets won't see it that way. They will see your sportbike and you will instantly be lumped into that category. That's why I stated "our community". Motorcycling is a community, unfortunately this is what the average person sees when they see one of us rolling up on our sportbike. It was a factual account in many ways, I just don't see the need to air it for any other reason than "The sportbike community is a menace! You'll die riding one and anyone you know will die on one too." Is this the message all of us want portrayed of us.

I don't stunt. I can't wheelie no matter how hard I try. I am not part of the stunting community, but the American public doesn't see it that way. How many times do people pull up to you in traffic and scream out, "Do a wheelie!!!" at you? If no one has, consider yourself lucky. It happens almost daily here. You don't see them yelling that at a guy on a touring bike. It's because it's something the public almost expects us to do on our bikes because of the type of bike it is. This is the message I'm sending out. Not one to anger you or anyone else, just to show them the way us sportbike riders get portrayed. I personally don't like being told I am definitely going to die racing or doing stunts on my bike. Nor do I like having a police officer come on the air and tell all of America that all of us are going to run from the cops.

It's yet another piece that has taken the actions of a few and caused us all to look bad. Thanks CBS. I hope you all sleep good knowing you've instilled more fear in the elderly and people that are too stupid to know we are all not like that.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I didn't see that they were saying all bikers are like that. All they showed were some a bunch of squids hanging out yelling "fuck the cops" and stunting. I would say their dead-on on pegging the group they showed as street racers and stunters. I mean, come on, they had video of them wheeling and racing down the highway. It doesn't get more blatent than that.

Same story, different topic. The media in the US will never focus on the positive side of anything. If they can't scare or shock the public, then they don't have a story. That's just one fact of life we have to live with in the US. All you can do is seperate yourself from it.

I would think the stunting community would be more outraged over this, as most of the teams promote safe stunting on empty roads and parking lots. Most of the stunt guys I know are into the technical slow tricks, not the 100MPH wheelie. Anyone can do that given enough power and balls. The bigger teams are trying to legitimize stunting and these stories hurt them way more than the entire biking community.

As far as wheelies, at least 90% of the people here don't consider themselves stunters, yet look at every pro race (except the 600's) and what happens across the finish line? A wheelie. Look at Rossi's victory laps, he spends more time on one wheel than some stunt videos I've seen. That hurts more than any stunter that gets seen by 100 people any day.

The sad fact is they focused on the girl that got killed and said she died on a corner on a highway. Didn't say she was stunting or racing. Sounds like inexperience to me, but you're not going to hear that from them. I'll bet money, more people will die on bikes this year hitting a corner too hot than the entire ammount that has ever died from stunting. I think they should spend more time focusing on the normal guy that died because he froze for lack of experience and training or gear. They get their death and nasty crash photos and at the same time create awareness that bikes are dangerous to the inexperienced. That is the truth, but if they ever did that story, they would get sued by every motorcycle group in the country. Those orginizations only see themselves as hurt if the general public ever found out that anyone could die while riding a motorcycle, so they would try their best to bury it. If you can get people to only believe that you can die on a bike while being stupid and doing stunts, then their lively hood (new bike sales) will be safe. That's the injustice if you ask me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think that's a very good story. I dont care what the public thinks of it, I just like to be reminded that riding a bike isnt the safest way to go.

Stories like this help me face reality and not get overconfident or too cocky.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They run that same story but for kids street racing cars. Not really any different but instead if you see some kid on a Honda Civic pea shooter with that big exhaust opening you think the same as you would seeing some kid on a sportbike. I see way more kids ripping around in those Civics, Neons, and Eclipse's than guys on any type of motorcycles.

I would say most don't do the shit you saw on TV and the same for the kids with the cars for that matter. They are not showing the majority and never will as it don't make for good TV if they are showing good things.[V] This is the way the media is about everything.

When do you ever remember them showing something really good that people have done. Hell 90% of the news is bad stuff. That gets them ratings and that is what counts.

Too nbad for the girl that got killed. She might not have done anything illegal and just made a mistake and paid with her life. We have all made a mistake driving a car or cycle but on a bike you normally pay alot more for you mistake. Hell I was hit at a redlight on my bike and was doing nothing wrong so it happens, Difference was I did not get killed. I just got some bruises and a totalled bike (that pissed me off.....:()

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
We all know sport biking is dangerous. But there are a lot of other stuff that is just as, or more so dangerous as well. We as sport bikers have to stick together. Promote safe and smart riding, proper training and use of adequate gear as well as making sure bikes are properly maintained.

We also have to know when and where to stunt. Like mentioned above, there are sport bike riders and sport bike stunters. Just because a person is a rider, doesn't mean they are a stunter. Well, I don't have to explain it to all you guys and gals, you all already know. People (other riders) just need to remember that there is a time and a place for each type of riding.

I don't think a person should do a wheelie in pitch dark on the congested freeway at an excessively high rate of speed as depicted in that video clip. That I think is unsmart.

That clip didn't give much information regarding the girl that died. It is sad that she died, but I'd like to know more information about her death. Accidents can occur from poor road conditions, mechanical failures, path interference, improper gear, riding inappropriately, etc. Maybe this girls death was not her fault, but maybe it was.

It saddens me every time I hear about a motorcycle crash. Even the non fatal ones.

On a more positive note. I am glad to see stunting becoming more and more recognized as a sport. This is due to an increased following by spectators. With magazines up and coming like Street and Strip and Super Street Rider it is nice to see all spectrums of the sport of sport bike motorcycling getting recognition. Perhaps in the future stunting will be a sanctioned and sponsored sport, which overall I feel would help change the publics eye of the sport itself. Just look how people (the media for example) looked at the X-Games prior that that becoming recognized as a "professional sport" nationwide. Prior to that it was a sideshow activity for maniac kids. Well, that's how stunting is looked at and that opinion needs to change.

Also, in any sport/activity there will be good seeds and bad seeds. We can't allow the bad seeds to spoil it for us and everybody else.

I like watching stunting, but I'd probably never be a stunter myself. But I tell ya one thing, I download every video clip you guys all post on here. Stunting looks cool and fun and stunters have devoted a ton of time and effort into perfecting their sport. They deserve recongition and credit and where credit is due.

I am not trying to preach or be long winded. I guess what I am trying to say is this:

Enjoy your bike as much as you can. If you are just a rider, ride smart and ride safe. If you are a rider and a stunter, then I say the same and stunt smart and stunt safe.

-Flash

·
Registered
337 Posts
Like gary said, if it's not negative it won't get on the air. At least for the most part. That's the sad truth, guys. I've never been a fan of the media b/c they don't enrich people's lives. They don't make things better for the most part. They have all kinds of power and they use it poorly.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sounds to me like they were stereotyping "sportbike riders" and the "sportbike culture". Not cool. not good reporting. I'm a "sportbike rider", but I'm certainly not what they described. And I don't feel the need to make a video to hit it big in the "sportbike culture". Haven't these morons ever picked up a copy of Sportrider magazine? Maybe if they did the wouldn't stereotype us like this. As for the girl that died, I feel terrible about her and her family. But I think we can guess what happened. she had two months of experience on a bike that was probably too fast, riding with far superior riders, in the dark. She goofed up. It's sad. But it was probably caused by foolish riding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.