Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have joined the ranks of ZX6R Owners. I am an old guy who still likes to go fast. I am 52 and been riding since I was 16. I have always been a Yamaha rider, mainly old two- strokes. But the old bikes are getting older my sport bike is a 1985 RZ500 v4 two stroke. Fun , quick, but the 20 year old suspension is very tired and dated. I always buy salvage vehicles for our cars and went down to the auction of insurance totals last thursday to get my wife a car to replace the old mini van. All of our cars arrive in our driveway on the rollback truck. My wife saw the rollback backing down the drive and said good you bought me a new fixer upper. I said not exactly. The truck got closer and she saw a 1999 ZX6R with 4000 miles and said WHATS THIS? Well she is about over her mad spell. It is Lime Green and has road rhash on the left side. Needs a new lower left cowling fairing and the gen. cover is scratched. I spent the day repairing the cowling and the Gen. cover. I ordered the factory green paint from Dupont to touch up the cowling and new cowling decals. The bike looks brand new otherwise. The key is missing though. I will spend next week visiting all the local dealers trying to find out who sold this bike in St. Louis. then hopefully get the key code. Otherwise I will just pay a locksmith to make a key. Cant wait to ride it. it looks bone stock still has original pipe. I changed the oil, couldnt believe it held four quarts. Deals Gap here I come!!!!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Deal's Gap? Do you live in Tennessee? North Carolina? I'm planning a Deal's Gap trip in a month or so with a few buddies.

-keep the rubber side down.[}:)]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I grew up in Morristown Tn about 45 mins. from the Gap. Back in the sixties we use to skip highschool and head for the Gap Road.I road a twin jet Yamaha 100cc twin cyl. My buddy rode a Honda S90 We use to spend all day up there back when nobody else ever rode up there much. I still have the twinjet and rode it through the Gap Road last summer, still fun after 35 years. I go back there every summer with the camper and my bike trailer. Last year I road the Twinjet and my Derbi GPR 50. I live near St. Louis now but I cant wait to take the ZX6R downthere. Bob

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Welcome aboard Bob..

Enjoy the ride.

I got family from Tenn, right outside Morristown.

-Flash

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but habit" - Aristotle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got the key made by a locksmith and took my first ride today. First impression is WOW! The suspension feels so taunt after riding a 20 year old Yamaha. The power is unbeleivable. It gets to 100mph so fast. The bike seems to be in perfect shape it fired right up after a shot of either in the intakes. It last run in August 2002.Dont know why it was totaled out, only had a minor skin on left lower fairing. It has 4360 miles.I think it was a theft recovery and that was why the key was missing. It was interesting opening the storage area up and finding the owners manual with the maintaince records filled it too. The bike was bought in Germany by someone in the service then shipped back here to the states.The bike seems so smooth thru the twisties.It is going to be a fun summer!!![:p]

·
Registered
431 Posts
Welcome to the site...at 48 its nice to see someone older than me here that still has the same zest for life and living. ZX6R...Not just for the young guys.

Old enough to know better...young enough not to care.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome... you're never too old to ride or have fun! I have an 02 ZX6R and I'm 42. My husband and I ride almost everyday. Weekend rides are usually 200 miles or so. Kids are grown and we love taking off. Get your wife a bike. It's WAY more fun sitting on your own and not on the back of one.

Ride Safe!

My other ride is a yellow '02 ZX6R

·
Registered
33 Posts
Originally posted by yl1

... I ordered the factory green paint from Dupont to touch up the cowling and new cowling decals.
Sorry this may sound stupid, but I was told the factory color codes weren't disclosed... does Dupont have a matching color?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.