Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying hello to this site. I've been always facinated for Kawazaki's in general specially the 2000's ZX-11. I finally just bought me one, to begin with I've choose the ZX-6. The year it's a 2001, So far I'm really impressed with the bike, very comfortable, yet "scary" fast. I'm taking next Thursday my MSC, and then I will get my license. I would like to hear from some experienced riders anything regarding 2001's ZX-6 bikes.
Thanks!

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Welcome to the site. Glad to hear that you are taking the MSF. Have fun and ride safe.

--David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I signed up for the basic MSF, since I don't have my licence yet. is there anything that I have to be aware of it, besides the gear (what to wear)? I would like to know from you what was the most important thing that you have learned on the course ?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
welcome to the site and congrats on your first bike! it's always nice to find somebody that immediately says "i just got into motorcycling and i am signed up for a class."

as for what's most important, everything! just pay attention to what the instructors have to say and you'll do fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot crjbeez and everybody else ! It's nice to feel welcome on the motorcycling community. Like I said earlier, I've always been amused for sport bikes in general. Let me tell a little bit about my life. My Dad always had motorcycles as far as I can remember, but he was never around. He divorced my mom when I was 3years old. When I was 12 he showed up again in my life and showed me the basics of motorcycles, he was not my dad anymore, he was like a friend. I grew up and decided to have a sport bike as soon as I turned 18. Then I moved to USA when I became 18 years old to seek my independence. Now, I'm married and 25 years old. The opportunity appeared last week to me so I could get my first bike. "Truly a dream came true". Let me know all your thoughts on that!

·
Registered
60 Posts
As for the class, just pay attention to what they say. Some of it may seem counter-intuitive, but trust them. Practice the excersises at home on your own bike before going for rides. I highly recommend a parking lot session of your own practicing the rear-wheel lock excersise and the 25-mph braking excersise. Get to know your bike and how it responds in different situations before taking it out on the street.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just completed my first class today of MSF. I really like the class as well as my score, I score 49 out of 50 questions!!! (piece of cake when you pay attention and when you like the subject) I'm ready for the driving course on SAT and SUN, that will be fun!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I had a 99 zx6. Thats a very comfy bike, as stated, and plenty of performance to keep you busy for a long time to come. One of the recurring problems on that model bike is that second gear tends to fail. This doesn't happen on all bikes, i put 13k miles on my 6e and it was at 18600 when it got totalled in an accident and it ran like a champ. Just keep up with the oil and make sure you give nice solid shifts and you should be having fun on that bike for a long time. Get it to 100k miles for me, that was my goal with the one I had, but now im trying to do that on the 9r.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot for the tip! I've noticed on my ZX-6 that sometimes I hit the neutral gear from first to the second. It feels like it engages neutral for less than a second and than the gear change to second. It does not happen all the time, and not with the other gears, but it seems that I have to shift up precisele from first to second gear only. What exact problems do I need to watch out for regarding gears? Does my "problem" sounds familiar or is it just me not performing solid shifts? Thanks a lot !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey everybody...Just would like to share with you all that I sucessfully completed the basic MSF class last sunday. I've got my certificate and today (TUESDAY) morning I went to the DPS and completed the written exam. Just got my M license today. I'm very excited! Next step now will be compliting the Advanced MSF course.
Thanks for all your advices!

·
Registered
156 Posts
cool man....just take your time. I took the class and spent another 500-600 miles just riding in my neighborhood.

Good luck and welcome!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
welcome!! i have a '96 zx6r, so i'm sure it doesn't compare to a new one. yeah- they are "stupid fast" for being a smaller bike. ride safe and watch out for those stupid four-wheelers (that's us truckers talk for cars). take care bro!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.