Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oh hey one more thing i had the guy at the dealer lower it an inch and a half im only 5'8. would that mess up the ride in anyway?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Not to piss you off, but since it sounds like you only put a downpayment on for layaway I think you should reconsider getting the 636 for a first bike. Especially if you don't know hand clutch gear shifting.. this is too fast a bike for beginners and will probably kick your ass and hurt you bad. The 250 may be a better consideration. Good luck whatever you choose

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey whats up im 24 and just got my very first bike, be picking up my new zx6r blue next week. I never rode before so just gonna take it easy. I got a friend whos gonna teach me on his 4 wheeler to learn the shifting. Any hints tips or advice on how to break it in and what i should know about the bike? Thanks dudes

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I think you'll be ok with getting a 600 class bike but I would not get a brand new one. I think you might get bored on a 250 super quick. And who says you have to take the 600 to the max. Just make sure you don't dick around, show some restraint. But get one a few years old. Because I guarantee that you WILL either crash, tip the bike over, get it knocked over somehow, forget to put your stand down, or not maintain it correctly, ect...
Your first bike is the bike that you learn on, not just how to ride but also how to take care of it, how to service it, ect.. so you kinda want a bike that is not soo much $$$.
Also DO NOT even buy a bike without taking at least taking the beginners motorcycle course. Its usually a 2 or 3 day class and you get to use their bike (so if you crash, who cares!) You also get your license from this class.

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Welcome mate.

Be careful on that shiny new 636 till you get used to riding!

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all thanks for the advice. Yeah it would be best if i did buy a used one, but you know my heart wants this bike very bad, plus i think i would take care and be more alert with a new one you know? Yes it would be a shame if i did drop it but hey i think that would be fire under my ass to be on point. I am taking the course with 2 other dudes who is also just learning and all baught new bikes. I figure if i take it easy and dont push it until im ready and even then ill take it easy until however long it take to get real confident on it. Im not one of those who would show off and all that just wanna ride and enjoy it. You know all my friends and people that tell me about crashes and deaths, 9 outa 10 times its their fault. I just gotta know my limits and stay with em. Thanks guys. Im in NEW YORK Lower Westchester area.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just a thought, couldn’t you change the sprockets to give less power at low rpm? Or how about a power commander map it for less power at low rpm’s? I know that I put an exhaust restrictor on my son’s dirt bike so it would be slower. Are any of these ideas possibile?

luv2surf
2003 636 blk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey whats up, well picked it up a few days ago and loving it. I rode it all damn day up and down my street just to get the feeling. I never went pass 3rd and really didnt do any tight turns yet, im taking it slow. I also signed up for the course, taking it in two weeks that should help alot. Cant wait to be able to ride around, right now just learning getting fimaliar with the bike. Im in New York, lower westchester BEST BUY EVER!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.