Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello there i am new to here. I just have some newbie questions. Ive fallen in love with the new 08 Ninja 250r. This is going to be my first bike. I was just wondering am i really going to get sick of it as fast as like every salesman says i would at the dealer ships. I personally think this bike would be perfect and i really like how it feels and everything. :rolleyes:

thanks

·
Registered
477 Posts
I know the 250 is aimed towards the new rider market, but I really don't think a brand new bike is right for a brand new rider. The bike will go down, either by you dropping it in a driveway or parking lot, or God forbid you crash. Beating up couple year old bike won't hurt the pride and ego as much as buying new plastics for a new bike.

Find a 250 that is 2 or 3 years old, ride it for a year, sell it for just about what you paid for it, and get something a little bigger.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Your first bike should be something you get sick of. No one after having their first car for a while considers it the best they'll ever have and neither should you think the same about your first bike.

First bike is just for learning purposes, you learn on it and after your no longer rough around the edges you move up to a bike you enjoy that also isn't new rider friendly.

I second the used bike route, your going to drop it some how some way. It's going to happen so your better off with a "pre-dropped" bike that won't make you cry when you scratch it up than a new bike that'll make you drown in tears after you see the repair estimate and find out the insurance company will total your new bike out if you decide to make the claim.

·
Registered
249 Posts
A used 250r or 500r is ideal. Don't worry too much about the year, but do take the time to get a good look at the bike and confirm what kind of shape its in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dude, get the bike that turns you on. Go to the shops sit on the bikes, read the magazine reviews & talk with people that own them.

I read somewhere, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yehh I am buying my friends 08 ninja 250r. It has been dropped once on the left side and it also hit a deer and messed up the blinker but it got fixed. But it still looks nice. This is a pic of it:

I am getting it for $3500 from her since she is a friend. I think I am getting a good deal. It should be in my hands in about a month. I can't wait. I plan to upgrade eventually but will probably keep this baby for a few years since I can't afford another bike anytime soon or the insurance of something larger than a 250.

·
Registered
285 Posts
A new 08/09 250 will cost you around 4000, which is still relatively cheap compared to a number of other beginner bikes, so I don't really see a problem getting one new unless you can find a used one for a significantly lower price. I was planning on getting a new 08 250 but due to demand I purchased a used one basically in mint conditon with only 165 miles. It was dropped before it even reached my home, but I did not feel too bad considering that I did not pay 10,000 for it and the front signal was the only thing damaged.

I am happy with my 250 and do not regret the purchase but speaking from experience I sometimes feel that it is not a good bike to grow into. The 250 will give you plenty of opportunity to practice shifting, but at times shifting on this bike is just a pain. Also when riding in traffic I sometimes feel as if I am on a moped with a sport bike body.

When considering the 08/09 250 and 500 there is definitely a tradeoff between performance and style. If you are more concerned with style go with the new 250, if you want a bike you can grow into for a couple of years get the 500. Hopefully Kawi will redesign the 500 in the next year or so.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
i know the 08/09's are hot, they look good no denying that
but for a first bike i'd still recommend the older model 250's
since you'll use it as a learning tool why spend more on the 08/09?
get a barely used 05/06/07 for half price of a new 08/09
learn on it
sell it
buy a bike you really want to keep

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nice bike. I personally bought a leftover 07' 250. I'm very happy with it. I did drop it going about 35mph which caused minor damage and looking back on it I would have just bought one used. I will have mine for one more season so that I can truly know that I'm ready to step it up. When you start riding with 600s your going to wish you had a 600 because they will smoke you, but you can really surprise them on the twisties. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts