Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I've been seeing way too much of this lately....here in the Shreveport area yesterday aftgernoon an 18-year-old on a Gixxer "weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed," as eyewitnesses put it, runs full speed into the back of a tanker truck, is thrown through the air and killed. Apparently some clown a couple of vehicles ahead made an illegal u-turn through the median of I-20 and caused others to slow, including the truck. I drive an 18-wheeler as well and had just got off from work not 15 minutes before the accident, which happened about a mile from my terminal.

I can't help but wonder how many of the cagers I see when I'm riding each day see me as some kind of future statistic, or how much more ire local law enforcement has towards sportbikers today compared to yesterday when something like this happens. Sure, a car started the chain reaction, but if the kid hadn't been flying down the freeway, he may have been able to react.

This right on the heels of a local sheriff's deputy on his personal bike who, just the day before, ran into a car coming from the opposite direction and was also killed.

Now, I never ride without a helmet but I'll admit that I have, on occasion, skipped the jacket...or, for that matter, used my smaller size and better handling on the bike to perform a less-than-respectable lane change. Then I see this, and I think, damn....this could happen to any one of us and staying alive and upright doesn't just happen by default - it takes a conscientious effort, doesn't it?

Just thinking out loud....

·
Registered
272 Posts
no matter how slow and careful you ride, all it takes is someone in a cage to not see you. everytime we go out there we put our lives in the hands of strangers and all we can do is be wary and lessen the risk as much as possible. having said that, it sucks the guy died, but it's his fault for riding crazy. if he were riding normally he probably would have been able to stop in time.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Rip One wheel pointed to the sky. He was driving wrecklessly weaving in and out of traffic at high rate of speed! That increases the possibility to definite. it was bound to happen eventually with his riding style.
I take my time in traffic b/c its better to take a second of my life then my life in a second. i hope that most riders here on this forum use this train of thought. i used to have close calls all the time but after using this state of mind ive only had one. one in the past 5 months aint bad. im not saying youll never have one its just makes you think before you bolt through an intersection when the lights just turned green.
Ride Safe everyone, ive learned alot through you guys and would hate to hear anything like this about a member.

·
Registered
876 Posts
just another young inexperienced "it'll never happen to me attitude" showing through. its too bad, 18 years old, [V]

experience teaches you when its safe to go a little faster and when its not, when to wheelie and when not to, but it sucks when someone doesn't have a chance to get the experience, I dunno if that makes sense or not, but rip anyway[:M4]

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Gotime hit it spot on - it can happen to any one of us, at any time. We can't anticipate or plan for every possible threat. If we avoid 9999, all it takes is that 10,000th to slip through & nail one of us.

It's the risk we take whenever we ride on public roads. All you can do is try your damndest to minimize the chances of it happening, and prepare for it if/when it does. Lid, gloves, boots, armor all go a long way in that regard. Riding recklessly, like an ass-hat increase the chances for catastrophe...

Choose wisely.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
"weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed," as eyewitnesses put it
You have take into consideration the source though. People are biased toward sportbikes and will say he was driving recklessly even if he wasn't. To them, you look like your speeding when your standing still. These bikes don't need as much room as cars to pass and can accelerate much quicker. To the cages, it may seem like we are riding unsafe but we might just be moving through traffic efficiently. I think they resent us for being able to do that while they are stuck in their SUV.

I don't know the details of this case, he may have been riding like an asshole, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions. When I'm in traffic, I try to get through them as quickly as possible because I feel its more dangerous to ride among them than "weave" through and get to some open road. You can't ride safely in traffic, its just not possible. Even if you do everything right, the cages won't. If you leave enough room between you and the car in front of you, someone will see it and cut in. If you go the speed limit, someone will ride your ass. If you are crusing in the lane next to a car, there is a chance something will happen in front of you and leave you no way to avoid it (probably what happened in this case).

You guys can ride how you want, but I'll be "weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed." The best defense is a good offense, or should it be the other way around...whatever, you get my point.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Originally posted by FLOJOE

You guys can ride how you want, but I'll be "weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed." The best defense is a good offense, or should it be the other way around...whatever, you get my point.
Dam skippy.

I am a VERY offensive rider. Why? Because I am one of the few people on the road actually concentrated on driving/riding, and I am surrounded by selfish idiots doing everything BUT drive. That gives me the advantage.

Now, I also have ZERO tolerance for idiocy. Example: last night on the way home I was splitting the car pool lane, and I come upon an old man in a caddy or something. Just riding the yellow line. This pisses me off, so I lay on my horn and he sticks his arm up and gives me a finger. So, I calmly rode up and smacked his mirror. Fucker bout had a heart attack. Asshole. Then I yell "Stay the FUCK outta MY lane asshole" and I continue on.

Just as much as it is the responsibility of drivers around you to look out for you, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO NOT LET THEM PUT YOU IN A BAD SITUATION. I get pissed when someone tries to get in my way or endanger me.

Period.

If I'm going down, I'm going down packin!

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
+1

I do every thing I can to avoid cagers. If this makes me look like an ass-hat....whatever. I'll brake the speed limit and make "un-safe" lane changes just to get away from cars. I have no interest being around them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
hey i just saw in the news a minivan that flipped on Alligator Alley and landed in the canal... driver died. guess i should sell my grand voyager and buy another motorcycle.[xx(]

oh, and [:++1] with flojoe, tweak and falcon.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yeah it's no need to be weaving in and out of traffic. Today I was driving home from work in my car..and I look up in the rear view..and I see a guy on a gixxer riding his lane about 4 cars back. About 2 seconds later..he comes zoommmm....splitting lanes..scaring the crap outta me.....right by my side mirror WTF!!!. I didn't even see him, it was so fast..the funny thing about it, I was about to signal and get over..I could have easily messed this guys day up. Slow down folks..our lives ain't worth it.[V]

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
completely OT but.....dbbb you in DC? im bringin my bike down in August :D

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Originally posted by tweakmon

Dam skippy.

I am a VERY offensive rider. Why? Because I am one of the few people on the road actually concentrated on driving/riding, and I am surrounded by selfish idiots doing everything BUT drive. That gives me the advantage.

Now, I also have ZERO tolerance for idiocy. Example: last night on the way home I was splitting the car pool lane, and I come upon an old man in a caddy or something. Just riding the yellow line. This pisses me off, so I lay on my horn and he sticks his arm up and gives me a finger. So, I calmly rode up and smacked his mirror. Fucker bout had a heart attack. Asshole. Then I yell "Stay the FUCK outta MY lane asshole" and I continue on.

Just as much as it is the responsibility of drivers around you to look out for you, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO NOT LET THEM PUT YOU IN A BAD SITUATION. I get pissed when someone tries to get in my way or endanger me.

Period.

Good to see your riding again, and I agree with you 100%.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Originally posted by tweakmon

Dam skippy.

Period.

Lol, while I don;t share your enthuisiasm for mirror slapping...I do agree completely and I am about as offensive as they come. Probably why I haven;t been in any wrecks.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Whenever I'm getting too offensive, I just take a shower & that settles the stench for another week or two... lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.