Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess it is my time to make one of these posts. I crashed on my bike for the first time. It happened back on Father’s Day and I was out riding with my dad. It occurred on a road we had been on plenty of times before, and we had even gone down and back on the road about 3 or 4 times just before the crash. It is a small 1-2 mile road that has a lot of curves.

The turn I was going through was a sharp right hander. Now, I am not dragging my knee or anything, but I feel like I am getting into the turn pretty well. I was taking the turn as I normally do; nothing different about this attempt. I come in and apply maintenance throttle throughout the whole turn. This time I got about ¾ of the way through the turn and the front end just dropped out from under me. I’m guessing I was going about 35 mph based on how I usually take the turn.

When the bike went down, it ended up traveling through the other lane and ending up on the side of the road. I ended up rolling in my lane about 4 or 5 times. There was no oncoming traffic or anyone behind me (my dad usually rides behind me, but this time he was in front).

Gear and damages: I was wearing a helmet, jacket, gloves, Kevlar jeans, and high top work boots. I ended up coming out of this with a sprained wrist/thumb, some road rash on my back (the jacket slid up my back a little bit), some rash on my knees, and a couple small cuts on my hands. The next day I felt sore on my shoulder and neck, but that’s healing well by today. In all I am happy it wasn’t worse.

My bike doesn’t have much done to it, just mainly powdercoated rims and some changes to the headlights. I loved how the bike looked pristine and fresh. I’ll see if I can get it back in that shape another time. It came out with some rash on the plastics, one piece broke, a broken mirror, a damaged front brake lever, and a broken right rearset. I don’t believe it is all too bad either.

Possible causes? I read a lot of posts even though I don’t put much up. I know a lot of people hate blaming the tires, but I might put it as a large contributor. The tire was the OEM with about 7,600 miles on it. It has a ridge on it from where most of the wear has been to where the tire has not really been touched. I think I might have been on this ridge when it broke out from under me. I should have changed the tire in the fall when I changed by back to the Q2.

Coming up: I am looking now for new gear, waiting to heal up some, buying a new tire, and looking for the parts I need for my bike.

If anyone has any used hand brake levers or right rear sets they are looking to get rid of for an 05-06 zx6r hit me up. Also, If you if any of those parts are interchangeable with other years let me know. I think I read that the 07-08 rearsets are.

Sorry, this is a long one and I know most people won’t read all of it. Thanks if you did though.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Yes the 07/08 ZX6R rearsets are interchangeable with the 05/06 ZX6R rearsets. The only difference is that the 07/08 ZX6R rearsets are black while the 05/06 ZX6R rearsets are silver.

Sorry about the crash :(

·
Registered
136 Posts
what's a rear set

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
what's a rear set
it's the bracket on the side of the bike that holds your footpegs and rear brake lever or shifter, depending on which side.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know there are a lot of aftermarket rearsets out there. I don't really need to raise the pegs up though so I think I'm just gonna keep it cheap for now and go with a stock replacement. The brake petal and peg are still fine. Its just the point that holds the brake petal in place is broken.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I know there are a lot of aftermarket rearsets out there. I don't really need to raise the pegs up though so I think I'm just gonna keep it cheap for now and go with a stock replacement. The brake petal and peg are still fine. Its just the point that holds the brake petal in place is broken.
Yeah I understand I just posted that to illustrate what a rearset was.

:)

There are a few on eBay but they're not cheap:

05-06 KAWASAKI ZX636 ZX6R 636 RIGHT FOOTPEG BRACKET PEG | eBay

KAWASAKI ZX636 ZX6R 636 05 RIGHT MAIN STAY PEG BRACKET | eBay

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
Sorry to hear about your spill OP

7600 miles on your tire *whistle*

Heal up fast

BTW that road rash on the knees. I'm guessing it wasn't from the road but rather from the jeans rubbing against your knee or were your kevlar jeans breached?

Either ways, just goes to show gear works.
The difference between walking away in disgust and being wheeled away on a stretcher.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I understand I just posted that to illustrate what a rearset was.

:)

There are a few on eBay but they're not cheap:

05-06 KAWASAKI ZX636 ZX6R 636 RIGHT FOOTPEG BRACKET PEG | eBay

KAWASAKI ZX636 ZX6R 636 05 RIGHT MAIN STAY PEG BRACKET | eBay
wow.. how could i not find these at least. i swear i have been putting in a bunch of different combinations of words in ebay and couldn't find any on the right side. everything i found was for the left side. Thanks! I think that was about the price i was seeing from different online stores. I'll try and keep looking for now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to hear about your spill OP

7600 miles on your tire *whistle*

Heal up fast

BTW that road rash on the knees. I'm guessing it wasn't from the road but rather from the jeans rubbing against your knee or were your kevlar jeans breached?

Either ways, just goes to show gear works.
The difference between walking away in disgust and being wheeled away on a stretcher.
Yea, I agree i would be in bad shape if it wasn't for the gear. The rash on the knees was from the jeans. The jeans actually look like they were barely touched by the pavement. I am considering on still using them. My jacket saved me. I believe the first part to touch down was my elbow. the jacket got eaten up there some, and I had a little mark on my arm. That mark is just about gone after 4 days.

It was a mesh jacket and I have heard some possible bad things about them rubbing into your skin. This didn't happen to me. All i saw was some small red dots that were no pain and went away real fast.

Also, if i didn't have a helmet my face would have been smeared across the ground. Not too much damage to the helmet, but it did its job and is being retired.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Sucks too hear but for the conditions you describe..doesnt sound like tires. Possibly road surface but probably rider input. Did you change your lean angle? throttle input remained the same? Was there enough speed for that lean angle?

Either way, we live and learn. Consider leathers with a jacket that zips to the pants and good luck egtting her back to pristine.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Yea, I agree i would be in bad shape if it wasn't for the gear. The rash on the knees was from the jeans. The jeans actually look like they were barely touched by the pavement. I am considering on still using them. My jacket saved me. I believe the first part to touch down was my elbow. the jacket got eaten up there some, and I had a little mark on my arm. That mark is just about gone after 4 days.

It was a mesh jacket and I have heard some possible bad things about them rubbing into your skin. This didn't happen to me. All i saw was some small red dots that were no pain and went away real fast.

Also, if i didn't have a helmet my face would have been smeared across the ground. Not too much damage to the helmet, but it did its job and is being retired.
lucky it was only 35 mph... how would the mesh hold up at 70?

·
Registered
297 Posts
It has a ridge on it from where most of the wear has been to where the tire has not really been touched.
Actually, I would blame the tire on this one. Rider-error on the part of mechanical maintenance.

9001 seconds in MS Paint.

Attachments

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Actually, I would blame the tire on this one. Rider-error on the part of mechanical maintenance.

9001 seconds in MS Paint.
You are assuming the tires are worn that much, that the contact patch was made smaller? I doubt it....

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Glad you're okay. Might want to consider a jacket that has overpants or something that zip to it. Might prevent you a little bit of pain later on.

Good thing you had on your gear!

As far as possible causes to the crash...while turning, all your weight should be on your inside peg. You should have no weight on the bars.

Have you got your suspension tuned for your weight? Might be a good thing to have done. My bike was pretty much setup for me from the factory. When I had someone at our track day, it wasn't a night and day difference like some people make it out to be (and it might be the case from them), but it's definitely a wise investment...especially since it's only like $30 to get done.
-Cody

·
Registered
3,845 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Pretty well actually, I went down at 80 and only had holes in the shoulder pads, I slid on my back for most of the time and all I had was scratches on the back, no rips.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You are assuming the tires are worn that much, that the contact patch was made smaller? I doubt it....
It has a ridge on it from where most of the wear has been to where the tire has not really been touched. I think I might have been on this ridge when it broke out from under me.
This. I guess you could be right about my assumption of the size of the patch though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Sucks too hear but for the conditions you describe..doesnt sound like tires. Possibly road surface but probably rider input. Did you change your lean angle? throttle input remained the same? Was there enough speed for that lean angle?

Either way, we live and learn. Consider leathers with a jacket that zips to the pants and good luck egtting her back to pristine.
I'm not trying to put the blame solely on the tire. I just thought it might be a large contributor.

I normally don't take turns that hard at 70 or so. Thats not to say I haven't though, and a crash can happen at any time. This is a consideration for my new gear.

*well after thinking about it, 70 is not all that far away from where i ride through many turns.. 50-60 can speed up and turn into...?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts