Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this is my first post and of course its asking for help lol..
My 05 636 is rapidly heating up like it takes about 4 min from start to begin blinking high at me... i took the whole thing apart and topped off the coolant. no luck. its still doing the same. anyone have an idea?

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
do your fans kick on also? I would check for any kinks in the main radiator hoses and make sure there isn't a blockage in the overflow lines from the overflow tank under the seat/fuel tank back to the radiator. Just checking the overfill tank won't tell you if the entire system is devoid of coolant, as if that bottom line is blocked, it won't flow back into the radiator. If you took the 'whole thing apart' make sure you put the water impeller assembly together correctly, IIRC if it's too tight, it won't spin at all which won't circulate any coolant in the system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem. It ended up being my thermostat. I switched over to Engine Ice as well....Trust me, not worth it....I didnt see a lick of difference in temperatures. Just get the thermostat replaced and you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I switched over to Engine Ice as well....Trust me, not worth it....I didnt see a lick of difference in temperatures.
Water wetter is better to keep it cool.

I was going to recommend looking into the thermostat.
Simple/cheap things first.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
this might be a stupid question but was is normal operating temp for our bikes?...thanks in advance
Kinda depends, but a range between 190-215ish. Once you get above 220+ you're close to warning zone. In the heat of summer here, I'll be sitting between 210-220ish at long red lights, and on the freeway, I'll be down in the 190's. I run engine ice but have not really seen anything more than a degree or two difference. Just make sure your fan does kick on after 220 as it should and that you've got enough coolant in there and you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
In the summer time it stays in the 180's for me, winter time mid 150's usually when I'm riding around. As strat said it will go up significantly when sitting at red lights, up to 215 or so for me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
DS here-
In reference to the normal operating temps, down here in Miami, i'd say in city traffic i'm around 204 to about 215 sitting at a light. Once im moving though she drops back down to about 185 - to 190, remember even in December - January im in 80 degree plus weather.
:violent:

STRAT - im using Engine Ice also and haven't seen any difference either. I read from someone above that Water wetter is better - huh?? ANyone else agree, if so, i guess i'll be flushing my system soon to try it out.

Question: Last weekend I gave my baby a desperately needed tune up: oil (AMSOIL), oil filter (HI-FLOW), cleaned and oiled the air filter (K&N) and put in some new NGK hi- preformance IRIDIUM sparkplugs (not easy!! - damn they make things tight in there). A few hours and skinless knuckless later, i notice a nice difference in performance, but also a defenite difference in higher temps. Before i was at least 5 degrees cooler from the above temps. Is this normal?? I'm thinking that in theory it makes sense. These sparkplugs are supposed to burn hotter and be more efficient in burning up the fuel to deliver better performance. Does this sound normal to anyone? Anyone experience the same thing?

Sorry for thread-jacking!

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
STRAT - im using Engine Ice also and haven't seen any difference either. I read from someone above that Water wetter is better - huh?? ANyone else agree, if so, i guess i'll be flushing my system soon to try it out.
From what I've heard, water wetter is better merely because it's safer and sanctioned by most tracks. Most of them ok engine ice to run on but a lot of them actually prefer water wetter. I haven't tried water wetter myself, and I think you have to mix it, (I could be wrong) engine ice, no mixing so easy for me. I think it'll probably cool about the same if you ask me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.