Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bad for the second thread but it just crossed my mind..this is my very first bike. a friend of mine couldn't afford it and didnt want to ruin his credit. so he handed it over(no charge just make payments) cuz i was in market for one..anywayz a couzin of mine works at a metal refinishing shop and offered to chrome the frame and swingarm...i own a bodyshop so taking it apart wont be an issue, but putting it back together is where i think its gona b a problem. Is there a manuel or a step by step, somewhere or am i gona just have to fend for myself on this one?? cuz i was gona polish the frame and swing myself but since he offered im gona take him up on it(plus he owe me for painting his girls car)...as i went threw alot of the threads alot of people are not really into the bling or what ever other term used, but im into the customizing of both cars and bikes. this just happens to b my first bike. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
my bad for the second thread but it just crossed my mind..this is my very first bike. a friend of mine couldn't afford it and didnt want to ruin his credit. so he handed it over(no charge just make payments) cuz i was in market for one..anywayz a couzin of mine works at a metal refinishing shop and offered to chrome the frame and swingarm...i own a bodyshop so taking it apart wont be an issue, but putting it back together is where i think its gona b a problem. Is there a manuel or a step by step, somewhere or am i gona just have to fend for myself on this one?? cuz i was gona polish the frame and swing myself but since he offered im gona take him up on it(plus he owe me for painting his girls car)...as i went threw alot of the threads alot of people are not really into the bling or what ever other term used, but im into the customizing of both cars and bikes. this just happens to b my first bike. :D
first and foremost, get chrome tires

·
Registered
10 Posts
As you disassemble, mark parts, make notes and draw pictures. Then just reverse the process when reassemling. It's what I've done for all work I've done on my cars (all VWs) and bikes. No problems thus far, though with some time and patience you should be able to find all the information online.

Oh, and be safe. Doesn't sound like you've had adequate training to be riding a SS, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say, be SAFE!! That means wear gear, all gear all the time. Go easy. Keep the RPMs down and if you are twitchy, trade it in for something or sell it for your friend. If you can, take an MSF class. If you can't see the follow the suggestion as if you were twitchy.

Good Luck, take care, and again....be safe!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nope. There is no literature or anything at all, i doubt any manufacturer would bother to make a service manual, not too many people want to bother working on their bike.

Get a service manual.

And don't chrome your frame and swingarm.

Tell us how it goes ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
As you disassemble, mark parts, make notes and draw pictures. Then just reverse the process when reassemling. It's what I've done for all work I've done on my cars (all VWs) and bikes. No problems thus far, though with some time and patience you should be able to find all the information online.
Just to add to that, when you take a group of parts off the bike, put them together again once their out. For example, if you have to unbolt 5 parts to get them off the frame, bolt them back together once they're on the floor. The bolts that hold something to the frame should be threaded back into the part they were attached to. That way you have everything roughly in place and ready to go. Makes reassembly much easier.

And if you're going to go through with this, definitely get the factory shop manual (see downshift_83's post). I bought one with my bike, and at this point, have only flipped through it, but it has tons of information, everything you need to know to completely pull the bike apart and put it back together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts