Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my bike and the chain is rusted I wanted to try to save a little money, could i posably get the rust off and reuse the chain I know chains are some what cheap but a cleaning and lube is cheaper. Do yall think i could get the rust off and if yes with what? Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Take your time and use parafin (kerosene) with a brush (an old toothbrush or nail brush). It will be messy! DON'T use petrol or it will eat the O rings in the chain.

Once cleaned, let it dry for an hour or two, and give a good coating with proper chain oil or chain wax. The wax is thicker and 'sticks' to the chain, so less flings off when you're moving.

Depending on where you are, wax/oil it every 300-500 miles, and clean it every 600-1000 miles. Don't forget to check the chain tension everytime you wax/oil it.

If the chains too rusty, it's fucked, and may have a tight spot, where the links have seized on their rollers/rings. You can check this by feel. If it has tight spots, bite the bullet and get it replaced. You really ought to replace both front and rear sprockets at the same time. You can get a complete kit for about £100-120 in the UK, for example.

How many miles has it done? Chains are good fro about 7-12000 miles depending on use.

jb

Bringer of all things Joyful

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Don't worry about the surface rust. There isn't much you can do about it once it is there except cover it up with chain lube. If the chains doesn't have stiff links and isn't worn out just clean and lube it. The cheapest and easiest to get chain cleaner is diesel fuel. I use PJ1 Black chain lube.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.