Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm buyin a new blue zx-6r in about 2 or 3 weeks. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me, on any topic: bike, clothes, stunts, etc.

·
Registered
501 Posts
All I can say is: no matter what type of mumbo jumble the salesman throws at you, DO NOT PAY ABOVE MSRP OUT THE DOOR!!!!
Tax, title, tags, etc... should be included in the final sale price and it should not be above MSRP. Enjoy your new bike!!

Let Saddam come and play!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-->Tax, title, tags, etc... should be included in the final sale price and it should not be above MSRP<--

Really? First of all, it looks like thats not gonna be the case for me. MSRP on the bike is 7999, and after tax, title, reg, and freight, the guy I plan on buyin it from says its gonna cost me 9419. And that actually makes sense to me. I don't understand why anything, especially tax, would be included in an MSRP. I don't know where you guys are from, but I'm from Long Island, NY. Does anyone know a good dealer near me that he would recommend?

"Burn rubber, not your soul."

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
hah. where on li? i'm in sayville and bought mine from thomas motorsports in port jeff. i paid 9500 out the door, but i got it delivered to my house, a $400 shoei helmet and a few free services. $9500 is a huge rip off, but if you can get some free stuf thrown in it doesnt seem so bad. BTW, don't go to LI cycle (on sunrise highway), they have numerous lawsuits and complaints against their dealership about trying to rip people off.

·
Registered
501 Posts
HMMMM! I have been with three of my friends to purchase their brand new bikes. Only two of them paid over MSRP out the door. One paid $124 over and the other $200 over. The first one got an ARAI($535) helmet included in the final purchase price and the second gave a trade in and was little bit in the hole. I purchased my bike in june of 2002. When I bought mine, they gave me a $1000 discount of the MSRP price and then added the rest of the charges. Not a bad deal and still under MSRP.
Ask the salesman to give you a breakdown of the charges. Where they tend to take people for suckers is in the freight charges. A local dealer tried to charge me $800 for freight and putting it together. That is way too much. Those charges should be around $200-$300 tops.
In any case, believe me when I tell you that you can purchase that motorcyle for MSRP out of the door.
A little story for ya. Yesterday I went to the dealer I do most of my dealings with. They know I want a ZX-6R but I only like it in green (ZX-6RR) They have an ZX6RR sitting there for the past month. The salesman tells me that if I sign the paperwork right then and there they will sell it to me for MSRP on a ZX-6R out the door. If you want to pay $1500 more than what it is worth, go ahead. But trust me when I say that you can purchase it for much less. Being that everyone is drooling for the new bikes you might end up paying $100 or $200 above MSRP but that is ok. By the way I live in Maryland and tax is 5%.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know, the guy I plan on buyin my bike from did say he'd "work with me" when I actually came in to buy the bike. He did refer to gear too. I dont' know, maybe I will get it for a little less. We'll see. Thanks for the tips though. By the way, I was wondering what all of your opinions are on colors. As of now, I have decided on the blue, but I am a very indecisive person, and had used lots of friends' opinions to come up with that decision. A few more opinions from you guys probably wouldnt hurt. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just ordered my '03 zx-6r in Silver. I paid under MSRP out the door. But no freebies for me... I have to buy the helmet and everything... but I do get a considerable discount on any gear I want.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a blue one on order also. I paid $400 under MSRP for mine. I can't wait to get it so i can get started on some mods!!:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a '00 sixxer in Blue (the fastest color), but I heard that the '03 blue is more of a baby blue. Since I haven't seen it in person I can't tell you. I think the hottest color this year is the green or silver. My brother lives in L.I. (Levittown) and he bought a '02 sixer so I'll give him a call and see how much he paid and where he got it from, but I think their taking you just because of the new stlying. You might be better off taking a trip or purchasing out of state. If anything is wrong, ie engin problems etc. its still cover under warranty. And with the extra cash you could just pay for the services etc.

We be ridin' Ninja 600's never Harleys kid

·
Registered
81 Posts
Colour! No choice as far as im concerned, If you have a bike that goes like a race bike it has to look like one too.... GREEEEEEN.....

Confidence and Ability should not be Confused
ZX636-B1

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Sled Dog, let me know where you're brother bought his. I have to say that my number one choice in color is the green (I mean, how can you buy a ninja and not get Kawasaki racing green, i mean, cmon), but only the new zx-6rr comes in green, and i want the 636 zx-6r (you know, you guys should check out the article on the new six's in the April 2003 issue of sport rider if you already haven't. There's a good article on the R6 too). Anyway, about gear, I was wonering what you guys thought were good brands for helmets (well i guess i know about arai and sheoi), gloves, jackets, etc., and how much you think I should spend on each without goin overboard. Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way Sled Dog, tell your brother that where I'm planning on buyin my bike as of now is New York Motorcycle on Jamaica Ave. in Queens Village. If he has "heard" anything about that place, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Personally IR140, I wouldn't buy anything from NY Motorcycle in Queens Village. I grrew up just up the road on 223rd Street and 101 Avenue, and I had quite a few dealings with them over the years, all bad.

The sales people are cheats, and the service department isn't much better if you don't know what's going on, and what your bike needs before you bring it in. If you tell them what you want done, they can do it, but if you bring it in cause it isn't running right, they will screw you over.

I like the people over at Extreme Motorsports in Freeport, on the Sunrise Highway, personally. Of course I haven't bought abike from them yet, but their parts and service departments are much friendlier.

You can take the Southern State East to the Meadowbrook South, to the exit for 27 west (that's Sunrise), and they will be about a mile in on your left side. Across from the LIRR train Station.

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey bladecutter, I took your advice, and went to Extreme Motorsports today. They definitely seem a lot better. The guy there said he'd charge me 7800 for the bike, plus tax and registration (no freight and all that bullshit), and out the door I'd spend 8641. Wut do you guys think about that? Plus, theyre gonna give me some discounts on all my gear.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I'm buying a 6R Blue or Silver as soon as the first sunlight shines through. The only thing I'm having trouble is finding good pricing, there's only 2 places where I live that sell bikes and if what you guys say is right, then they both try to rip you off and try to take whatever they can for extra.

I'm going to start looking into used bikes if I can't find a good price on a new one, how many KM's does an avg 2001 bike have? Remember, there's only 4 months of actual riding weather also.

Also, anyone know how much a 2001/2 ZXR6 costs? Thanx.
Canadian funds remember :)

Any help is appreciated thanx.

A computer is only as smart as the person sitting infront of it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Import, I dont want to beat the dead horse but, 8600 is about $700 too many. Its your money so...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Originally posted by ImportRacer140
The guy there said he'd charge me 7800 for the bike, plus tax and registration (no freight and all that bullshit), and out the door I'd spend 8641.
I still think you are paying too much.. You have to play hardball w/ these guys.. shop around and have them cut each other in pricing.. When I was looking at my 02' it was between NY Motocycle, Comtrad and Crossbay Honda.. MSRP was $7699 and my first offer was $8600 out the door.. w/ the help of localbar and some friends we haggled around and the prices kept dropping from $8400 to $7800 and I ended up paying $7400 out the door from NY Motorcycle. That's $6780 on a brand new bike not includin taxes and fees.. Another friend also bought an 02'R6 for 8K out the door. So anything else is bullshit... I know a couple of ppl don't like NY Motorcycle but I have no problems w/ them. The sales ppl are helpful and friendly once they've seen your face a few times and all the repairs I had done were on warranty. So just shop around b4 you settle!!:D

I need a girl to ride, ride, ride...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.