Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an o3 ZX6RR and am just wondering if there are any differences with the gauges from a RR and a 636. Mine didn't have one so I'm looking around for one. Have found one for a 636 but just want to make sure there are no differences. I have read there is a lap counter on the RR. Didn't know if the 636 has it or not. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The bikes are pretty much exactly the same all around - The gauges are the same from 2003-07 and yes it does have a lap timer.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yea I meant 03-06 - but I never knew the temperature part....it still works though as a direct plug in?

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
I've got an o3 ZX6RR and am just wondering if there are any differences with the gauges from a RR and a 636. Mine didn't have one so I'm looking around for one. Have found one for a 636 but just want to make sure there are no differences. I have read there is a lap counter on the RR. Didn't know if the 636 has it or not. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
i looked in my service manual and they say its the same between the 03-04 636 and zx6rr

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I believe it should still plug in they just adjusted the layout of the display..... although i havent tried it myself.
Speedometer pickup is different so it's possible to run it but you'll need speedohealer for it.

03/04 and 07/08 use the same pickup but plug differently. 05/06 is its own story.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
the one for the 636 will be fine.

03'-04' R and RR
05'-06' R and RR

they are the same except engine size, slipper clutches are different (supposedly) and suspension

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The gauges look the same, have the same plug, and will fit no problem. The rpm to speed ratio will be different. My guess would be that since they have different transmissions the gauge has a slightly different formula for determining the speed. It was a surprise to me, but I recently switched the gauges because mine was cracked, and sure enough they are different.

with zx6rr gauge- sixth gear 5,000 rpm=55 mph
with zx6r gauge-sixth gear 5,000 rpm=50 mph

I have checked many times, the ratio that I am shown on the gauge has in fact changed. Not anything to really worry about, but you might want to use gps to get an accurate speed and buy a speedohealer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I want to know if its possible to run the '07-08 gauge cluster on an '04.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It's possible, you just have to figure out the wires or get a 04 connector somewhere.
Workshop manual states the wires if I remember correct. Gear indicator won't work though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I found an 03 636 gauge. Its got a crack in it though but he said its not noticable when its on. The bike I bought was a write off so it doesn't have to be perfect so I thnk I'll go with this gauge, unless somebody else has one.....

Thanks

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
yup there is a full writeup on this forum somewhere for that conversion
Yes, but you'll either have to find an 07-08 wire harness to cut up or take the sockets out of the 03-04 speedo connector and match up the wires. The speedo indication is sensed the same way. As far as 05-06 Speedo's, the MPH indication will only read 20 MPH.

·
Registered
191 Posts
yup there is a full writeup on this forum somewhere for that conversion
Interesting, I have not seen that thread. Guess I will have to try and find it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts