Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm from 250r section and I wanted to hear what you guys have to say about EX650R. I have 2008 Ninja EX250R at the moment and thinking about switching to something bigger next season. I looked at a lot of different bikes (ZX6R,GSXR,CBR 600,R6,Katana) and hated pretty much most of them because of the seating position. I love the way 250r sits and looking for something similar. From looking at the pictures 650r looks to be the same or similar as 250r so i wanted to see if there are any rides that switched from 250r to 650r and could comment on the seating position between the two.
Also what is the fair price range should I be looking at if i end up going for 650R?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Didnt switch, but my buddy has a ninja 250 and he is going to be switching up to a ninja 650 as soon as he can. I let him ride me and he has wanted one ever since.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Didnt switch, but my buddy has a ninja 250 and he is going to be switching up to a ninja 650 as soon as he can. I let him ride me and he has wanted one ever since.
:wtf::eek::Laughing Sign::rofl:

To Emil.....
I went from a Honda CBR125R to the Ninja 250R, and now on the 650R, and I love it.

Main differences:
Different sitting position - Changed by putting Sports bars on.
More power - Gotta love that!
Not as flickable - Don't love that, but it is still nimble enough to get me in trouble!
Heavier - Takes some getting used to.
Sexier - IMHO!!
More comfortable 2up - Excellent touring bike

You are basically asking the same questions I did a year ago, so have a look at my thread below, and maybe you will get more answers there.
http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-650r-er6/148561-650r-dreaming.html

Let me put it this way, the 250R is a great bike, and it taught me a lot, and while I not as confident in my abilities in the twisties with the 650R(I hate the tyres on this bike) I do not regret the upgrade one little bit!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 650R is a very good "All around ride".
The power is more than you'll ever need for the street (unless you're on suicide watch).
The ergonomics may not be cafe racer style, but the more upright position suits the urban riding environment.
The weight (at 449 fully fueled) is still very manageable.
Handling on the 650r is superb.
Not my choice for 2-up touring (I came off 800lb. Harley's) but the 650R carries a passenger with no problems.
Dollar for dollar it is the best value I have owned (riding for 40+ years, owned many cycles)...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hey, good decision. I went from the 250 to the 650 and I love it. I am thinking about getting the new Ninja 1000 but that is only because I love buying new motorcycles haha. I, in all honesty, do not need a bike bigger than the 650R.

The nice thing about it is that, coming from the 250, it is a really easy adjustment to make. Riding your 250 has made you used to how the twin engine makes its power. The 650R has the same linear power delivery that the 250 has... just a LOT more of it. It is an excellent bike. The first thing you will notice is the weight difference. The 250 is a LIGHT bike so the first few rides on the 650 will make you feel like you are riding a Goldwing but you get used to it really fast. You will also, undoubtedly, love having fuel injection and not having to deal with carbs anymore.

Starting with the 250 was a good decision and I think going to the 650 would be another good decision. As far as reliability goes, I have had nothing done to my bike except scheduled maintenance (usually not even on time either, except for oil changes) and I just clicked over 10,000 miles this past weekend with absolutely no problems.

Good luck.

-Pat

Reactions: LarryJ

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Weight is another factor that i will be looking for. I love how light 250r is and at 333lb i can handle it pretty well. I dont think i want to jump to 100lb heavier bike just yet so maybe staying within 400lb is what i will be more comfortable with.
Any bikes out there that are sit uplight like 250 and 650 but lighter? Maybe a 500cc or 600cc?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yamaha FZ6
The extra poundage might seem daunting at first, but it's an insignificant factor. And this is from someone coming from a dualsport to a 500.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Fazers weight about the same as the 650r. The SV650 is a little lighter but has a slightly more aggressive riding position (not as upright). You aren't going to notice 50lbs once you break the 375ish mark anyway. Just sit on a few bike and choose the one you like best.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
To get a bigger bike still under the 400 lb mark you've basically got two choices.

One is to go for something like the 500, which doesn't have much more performance than the 250, and the other is to go for a more sports oriented bike with a big jump in power, such as the Triumph Street Triple, or one of the faired 600 ss bikes which are much more agressive. The 'cooking' 650 class bikes are all fairly similar in weight.

The 650 is good upgrade choice. in terms of riding position and power. The extra weight really isn't an issue - you'll forget about it after a couple of hours.

Don't make a choice by sitting on bikes in a showroom. The riding position and comfort level all seem very different when you actually ride it a bit, and you have no idea whether the fuel consumption, performance, and especially the handling will suit you.

Try to test ride anything that interests you, and read the mags.

Rob

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
OP also remember that the 650 has that huge seat that I've seen a lot of owners complain about. This may or may not be a deciding factor for you, but I thought I'd point it out.

You can go with the FZ6 as already mentioned, or get an SS 599 I-4 and put some bar risers on it to get the upright position you want AND be just over 400 lbs. My 06 ZZR600 weighs just over 400 lbs (about 420 last time I weighed it a few years back), but the newer 6's are a bit lighter I believe (you should think so anyways). And honestly it's not hard getting used to the more aggressive ergos, especially if you don't commute 100 miles a day or something.

Maybe you can grab a 599 for a play toy and keep the 250 for commuting. ?? Seems like a "best of both worlds" kind of scenario. No?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts