Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting interested in the ZX6-R, got a few questions. I currently have a 2001 SV650S. Its a fun bike, dont think I could have bought a better first bike. But I'm getting the I4 itch...

How is the comfort of the ZX6? I figure it will not be too different from my SV, but any complaints?

I hear that the ZX6 handles nicely. Anyone out there ride an SV before they got their ZX6? I love how easily my SV gets tossed around, does the ZX feel similar?

Also, how is the power down low? I know the I4's need to be wound up to really start moving, but most of my riding is done in town (weekend toy). The SV is great for that because it gets off the line very quickly (my friend always said he had to make an effort to keep with me off the line on his F4i). I guess a better question might be, at what rpm does the ZX have some go.

Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
The new '03 gets its burst i believe at 6k to 8k then another at 12k to red line (15.5K. My friend also has an 2001 SV650S it has alot of torque and suprising power but the 6r will be a totally different bike in my mind

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
In regards to your handling question, the SV is probably the most flickable bike over 500cc - that aluminum beam chassis rocks! If you plan on doing any track days, keep that SV! I know guys that had never done a day before, went out on their SV and had no problem harrassing guys on bigger bikes NO SHIT!

If everyone started off on an SV insurance would be a lot cheaper for all of us!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
the newe 636 should have some decent down low grunt, might not be as torqey as your sv but it will mor than make up for it in power...

the handling should be close actually, I know the SV's have kick ass chassis....

the ZX-6r will be slightly less comfy than you SV...but you should get use to it rather quick...

Surprised you feel the need to upgrade, the SV is a nice street bike...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who said anything about needing a new bike?:D I love my SV. Its an awesome bike, no doubt about that. I love fast toys what can I say. My other toy is a Camaro SS, could you guess?

The ZX is just more advanced. All the gizmos and gadgets are tempting. Part of me wants to hear the scream of an I4 too. In a perfect world I'll keep the SV too...

·
Registered
671 Posts
I love my 03, and have ridden the SV, but not in an all out hard core way. The SV is worlds more comfy, but I believe that the new 6R would spank it on any track day, but it will take some getting use to. The SV is a more forgiving and predictable bike, and has a little more grunt down low, but 5 mph wheelies are no problem to the 6R. It is a hard toss up, if you love the SV, just save your money and upgrade it. Although, even with all the upgrades, the 6R will be quicker in the long run. I typically spank my buds TL1000R (haven't seen the new SV1000 yet)through all but the initial jump.

Only you can make the final decision, but look around the board, many have put up their full reviews on the new 6R, including me. Just too much to say over and over again! But I love my new 6R and would only trade it for the new 10R next year...as long as it doesn't have Busa headlights!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Okay... I can answer your question in great detail, because after riding an SVS for 2 years I wanted more. DOn't get me wrong, the SV is a great bike, but the 03 ZX6R is better! The only thing they have in common is that they are both motorcycles. The Ninja is like an SV that can do no wrong! The SV is friendly and that can get boring as your skills improve. Sure I could have done more on it and I wish I could have kept my SV for track days, but for everyday, the ninja is great. For the money you would spend on bringing an SV up to the performance level of the ninja you may as well just buy the ninja. There is no way an SVS will make over 100hp. You would need a GSXR 750 front end and rear shock to improve the suspension. That is about $2000 right there. I was grinding the kickstand on the SVS, but I only get the peg feeler on occasion on the Ninja. The 03 Ninja will kill a CBRF4i off the line. The ninja makes it power so linearly it is amazing...there is no "rush" or "hp hit" it just builds and begs for more throttle. The SVS runs out of steam when the ninja is just getting going. 1st and 2nd gear wheelies are much easier on the Ninja if that is important to you. It is just so much easier to ride the ninja fast than it was on the svs. If you are ready for a 600 supersport get one, and you'll wonder how you ever rode the SV! It is that good. If they made an SV750R, that would be a different story, but they don't. Get the ZX6R! You won't be disappointed.

Craig
Former SV650S owner now converted.

The scream of the i4 and the ram air howl is addictive. There is something about reving an engine to 15K that just seems wrong. Imagine 18K on GP bike. Wow!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Before I got my ZX6R I had an 03 Sv650. I was never truly happy with it cause all my friends had sport bikes that out performed the SV in almost all areas. The SV was really nice and had alot of power but it wasnt anything near to the Ninja. I traded the SV for the ninja and lost about 2000 when it was all said and done but you know what? It was worth it cause the Ninja kicks ass and takes names. Get a Ninja you will be very happy I promise!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got a black '03 636 last week--the bike is SWEET except for the $%#@ hard-ass suspension! Anyway, before I picked up my ninja, I was riding an SVS for about 2 and a half years. I can't say more about the bike but that it was awesome! I loved the handling, the low down torque, its flickability--it was an awesome bike. No doubt the zx6r has much more power than the SV, but if your sole purpose for having a bike is just commuting around town, I'd say stick with the SV. It's loads more comfortable and make no mistake, it makes more than enough power for any legal setting on public roads. And given the right setup and a capable rider, that SV will smoke bigger bikes or even a guy on a '03 6r[xx(]. As for the exhaust note, sure an inline four makes a cool growl, but try spending maybe $400 for a slip on for the SV and hear the real GROWL of a twin. It's a sound I can never get over. It really is something. Anyway, I hope this is helpful. Ride safe. Respect all. Fear none.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not having even ridden a 6R I can't really help at all, but I was only looking on here as an SV owner thinking of making the change too... having started doing a few trackdays this summer I've got the need for a bit more oomph and better suspension etc. I must admit that I was expecting your replies to be more overwhelmingly positive that they are :)

I like the SV, have no complaints at all, just fancy 'more'. Would seriously miss the noise though - it's honestly holidng me back. There's nothing wrong with a healthy scream but you can beat a good roar!! ;)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"I must admit that I was expecting your replies to be more overwhelmingly positive that they are "

I don't think we are being negative, just realistic in what the ZX-6R was desgned to do, it's a track bike first and the street bike second...

I spend alot of time trying me make my 2002 zx-6r more comfy and street friendly and the 2002 zx-6r was rated the most comfy supersport by alot of magazines...

would I trade my zx-6r for anything? hell no..I love it, but if I had an SV650 I would love that too...and truth be told I probably wouldn't upgrade from a SV650 to a any supersport, I would spend more time riding the sv650 and then perhaps get a superbike, almost the same weight as the supersports, have more power and are just as comfy...

I guess I'm saying is I don't really think a upgrade from an SV650 to any 600 supersport is worth the money...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't get me wrong, it's all very interesting.. and I chose my words carefully with "overwhelmingly positive"! Definitely didn't find anything negative as such. I just think I was expecting more bias, all bikers seem to have it - you should see the stick people get over in my SV forum when they mention other bikes!!

I suppose as much as anything I'd like a change. In a ideal world with an ideal bank account I'd have a new bike (or 2) every year.

One of the best things about having an SV though (apart from the sound), is that it isn't a 'supersport' bike and has far from a hardcore reputation. When you overtake bigger bikes on a track it feels good! It's not such an achievment when you finally get hold of proper power.. ;)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"I suppose as much as anything I'd like a change. In a ideal world with an ideal bank account I'd have a new bike (or 2) every year."

I need a bike for each day of the week....shame I can really only afford 1 or 2 bikes though....

SV riders seem to be very touchy about their bikes, I guess it's because they are looked down upon unfairly by other supersport riders..But like you said, there is somethign cool about riding a sv faster than them...

I use to kick ass on my ex500, not many guys could hang with me...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.