Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI i recently changed my oil about 100 miles ago at the 3800 mark and put in 20w 50 because thats what the dealer recomeneded i put it in the bike ran a bit slower so it seemed to me so i took that shit right out 100 miles later and put in spectro semi synth 10w 40 i put oil in the filter and made sure i used 3.6 liters and put the rest of the oil in on the right side i start the bike and the oil light come s on. i figure i need to let the oil pump let the oil work to the top of the engine. i can hear the lifters knockin and let idle for a while then shut it off and turned on the oil wont get to the top of the engine i put the bike away and havent started it in fear of hurting something any advice is greatly appreciated. and i know i have the right amount of oil and everything. anybode get any loud noise after oil change or light on??????????

·
Registered
355 Posts
3.6 liters??? Is this right? On my '00 I put in 4 full quarts depending on the oil filter you use. Did you pull the bike straight up and see that the oil level was in the middle of the indicators?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep oil is in the middle of the two lines 3.6 is the right amount because it is written by the oil window and that whaty it is with a filter change. i know how to do it but this is the second time it knocks when u start it after an oil change last time the light went off and the ticking stoped after the oil got pumped to the top of the engine now it seems like the oil is just sitting at the bottom but the oil is bubbling so i know the pump is werking so why knock at start?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Sound like you got an air bubble in the oil pump, and its not able to build up pressure.
I would take off the oil filter again, and try to feed oil directly into the pump that way.
Get as much oil as possible into the filter, and screw it back on. Try cranking the bike up again.
Don't rev it, but just see if the light goes away.

If the light stays on, call the dealer you bought it from, and tell them the oil light came on the other day. Tell them to come pick it up.

BC.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if i do that they will think i messed it up because there is new oil in it besides there prob dump all my new spectro oil and put shit in there i hate the dealer

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Two problems... If the bike doesn't go to the dealer, it won't get fixed.
If it doesn't get fixed, you can't ride it.

Now, what's more important? You riding the bike, or you not having the dealer fix the bike?
Right now, you have an $8500 paperweight on your hands, with clean oil in it that isn't going anywhere anytime soon. You either let the dealership fix the bike, or you don't go riding.

BC.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have seen this before in a few motors I have built and you either have an air bubble in the filter or just a vapor lock. I have cured it before by just pulling the oil cap off on the clutch cover & starting. Other times I pulled the oil filter & put oil in it prior to installation.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i like the way bladecutter put it:

"If the light stays on, call the dealer you bought it from, and tell them the oil light came on the other day. Tell them to come pick it up."

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
i agree with bladecutter, let the dealer handle it. the bike is useless if you can't ride it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
DO NOT RIDE YOU BIKES!!!!!! the oil pump is;nt primed !!!!!!!:( this has been going no for YEARS but it just happend to me with my last oil change. do your oil change like always,"ALWAYS"fill the filter first. start the bike up and the oil light will be on. lossen the filter and let about 1/2 qt out,then tighten it up... with bike still running. MOST times this will work.if it did'nt try reven the motor up to like 2000 rpms..no highter and the light WILL go out.:D some times you might have to do it a few times. ive had ninja's since 89 and NEVER had this problem.I havent tryed this yet but it might work,drain the oil from the motor,fill up the new filter and then quikly change the new filter.[^] just my 2 cents

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.