Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im 18, about to go to MMI, and i ride a yz-125 at the moment (yeah its a yamaha and its a dirtbike, but kawasaki is where my heart is as far as street bikes) which provides me with riding experience off road so i wouldnt be a noob out of the shoots, so that said, ill be out of school in a year and a half, which is when ill be looking to get a bike for the roads. i realize i will only be 19, and after consideration, i also realize a 2006 zx6rr will probably not be the best choice as a first bike. but what would you say would be good for me to learn on, get good on, and have enough power that i can mess around on the track when a track day rolls around. everybody says for new riders, a 250, but is that really an investment? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It seems to me that the only people that don't have fun on a 250 are newbies. Every experienced rider who I have talked to that has ridden one has commented on how much of a blast it is to ride.

Small, light, and nimble, it's only weaknesses are sloppy stock suspension, bad stock tires, and slow acceleration. The first two are easy fixes and the third, the acceleration won't matter 95% of the time. It's rare that I use all of the acceleration the bike has to offer. I sold my KLR 650 with the thought that I wanted something faster. I ended up buying the 250 despite the slower acceleration and haven't regretted it one bit.

In nice weather everwhere I go with my wife we take the Ninjette and even with her on it feels nimble. A couple months ago I got yelled at because the centerstand was scraping and sparks were flying by her head.

I would eventually like to buy a ZX-14 or Concours as a second bike for our longer rides, but I think there will always be a place in the garage for the Ninjette since it is so much fun around town, in the twisties, and even on short-medium touring cruises.

As for the investment, if you look hard enough and get a good deal, you can usually sell them for what you paid...IF you can part with it. ;)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
either a 250 or the ex500 are both great starter bikes, reasonably cheap, and when you outgrow them they have great resale value

·
Registered
802 Posts
a huge thing that a lot of people dont usually mention is the fact that you need to go to a dealership and actually sit on some bikes.. the difference can be night and day between two mfgrs.

also because youre (will be) 19 you likely wont have the credit to get a bike loan (just assuming you dont have 9 grand under your mattress.. could be wrong) without paying out the ass in interest (19% or so!) so thats another reason you might not want to go out and buy a brand new one. if youre planning on a loan next year, make sure you start building some credit immediately or the dealership will laugh at you [xx(]

i always recommend suzuki katana 600s to people for starters. theyre slow enough to comfortably move into the world of 600s, but fast enough to keep up. like 85hp at the wheels or so. a decent mid 90s one will run you 1500-1700, which you can then turn around and sell and use as a down payment on a brand new one in a year or two. i dont know if you would be too happy on a 250 since you already know how to ride something.

·
Registered
206 Posts
250s certainly aren't for everyone, but unless point and shoot is your game, you should have fun on one. There was an article awhile back where a guy who normally rides a Hayabusa took one for a long(several hundred miles) ride and had a blast. The fun STARTS on a 250 when you learn how to ride.

The only thing you miss out on versus other sport bikes is acceleration, which you can't use on the road most of the time anyway. For me the acceleration tradeoff was worth the pretty big savings on buying/insuring/maintaining/repairing over the bigger bikes. That and its so much fun to ride a light flickable bike that still has a comfortable seating position.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Your spelling is fine. [:M86]

There's not much else to say here that hasn't already been said.

·
Registered
522 Posts
id say go with an ex500, but im biased :D

seriously tho, you DO need to go sit on bikes and see whats most comfy and what fits you the best. for the longest time i wanted a 636 to upgrade to later on. i sat on one and decided it was TOTALLY not what i wanted. so then i looked at the 650 and the zzr600, went this last thurs to sit on them...realize that i hated how the 650 was and really loved the zzr.

250's are great on gas and perfect for putting around town. me personally, while most of what i do is in town commuting, i do like to take my bike on hours of highway riding..and i wanted something that was more than capable of handling that without a hitch. a 250 CAN be a highway rider...its just a bit slower on the acceleration and you have to push it a bit more to get the same numbers.

·
Registered
310 Posts
any of the 500's are a good balanced bike for a beginner....gs500 has sport look ninja 500 both good and ninja 500 would be a great stepping stone to bigger and better rides!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm a newbie. my first bike is/was a 04 zx6rr, If you go out there and act a fool even if riding a 250 you can get hurt. look around and buy one that you like.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, since i have some riding experience, i think i want something bigger then the 250 so yeah, i might have to look at some 500s. thanks everybody!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just remember, bigger isn't always better. Like I said, my 250 is much more fun than my 650 was and I put a lot of miles on that 650 taking it on 200+ mile rides all the time. It's all in what you are after in a bike.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Originally posted by JStutz2003
Just remember, bigger isn't always better. Like I said, my 250 is much more fun than my 650 was and I put a lot of miles on that 650 taking it on 200+ mile rides all the time. It's all in what you are after in a bike.

+1

I got a 500 this summer for various reasons, some good reasons, some dumb justifications. In the end, I think its a great first bike. I'm sure I will upgrade to something bigger and faster at some point but I also would like to pick up a used 250 cheap just because I've heard the light weight makes them a ton of fun.

A 250 will save you a few grand also. Whatever you get, learn as much as you can and ride safe.

·
Registered
442 Posts
the biggest you should go is a 650r. i would def. say a 250r they are a blast

·
Moderhater
62,425 Posts
this is the one time I'll say that if your an experienced dirt bike rider as I was then you will probabaly be ok on a zx6rr only as long you repect the bike and get a good feel for it! I rode OHV for years when I was a kid; when I was young I couldnt wait to ride on the street and when I had my fist chance it was on a zzr600 I was about 14. My first street bike was a 250 and 6 months later I got my zx6r and then 2years later I was riding 10r's and now I have been riding 10's for about 4 years now. Some of the best riders I know started in the dirt so I dont worry much about curious street riders who began there career in the dirt. Good luck kiddo!!! Ride safe!!![:M86][:M98]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.