Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Use you head or end up dead! No seriously, just take it easy. I don't know what you experience with bikes is like, but take your time to get to know the bike and your limits.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Take a MSF class, and be careful, keep the speeds reasonable and stay out of the throttle. Overall just try to have good judgment. Of course it would be much easier and safer to learn on a smaller bike.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive taken the course. Everyone keeps telling me that a 636 isn't a good starter bike (And rightly so), but I just can't find a good deal on a 250, but ive found a good deal on a 636.

Did any of you guys start out on a 600? How was the learning curve?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yep I started out on the 636 pre and post MSF course. In all sincerity just take it easy, don't abuse the throttle until you're fully comfortable on the speed/acceleration. Ride a lot too, it'll get you more comfortable with the bike. Just remember to take it easy, don't be a show off. As far as learning curve, on my first day bringing the bike back from the dealership I had NO prior riding practice other than when I rode dirtbikes back 9 years ago, which isn't alot of hours. I made it home safely, just think about what your learned in MSF and apply it, you'll gain most of the riding skill within a days worth of riding.

·
Registered
339 Posts
the 636 was my first bike as well. i really think that it depends on how mature you are and how honest you are with yourself. if you respect the machine and have some sort of discipline, i dont think it's that terribly unsafe. there isn't any need to show off, cause if you end up dead or crash your bike, nobody will be impressed.

and dont be pressured to stunt, corner fast, put a knee down, all that stuff comes with time.... if you want it to. till this day, i still havent popped a wheelie. i really dont find the need to. i enjoy keeping two wheels down and riding another day.

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
Don't do it man. If anyone were to look at the threads you have started they would say the same.

Be a real man and get the 250...it's an easy sell if you feel you have mastered it

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I started on a 600. and i have been riding for years now and have not bit the dust yet..

It's all about how you approach riding and how you respect it..

I say go for it and be wise with your decisions..

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you respect the throttle and take the MSF course. The 636 is not a bad bike to start on. If you aren't sure don't even think twice and get to learn on a 250, 120 km/h on a 250 is the same 120km/h on a 636.

I started on a 636 and as long as you know your limits and respect the throttle you'll be fine.

·
Registered
738 Posts
My first streetbike was my 636. rode dirt only for 20+ years.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
My first was my 636. Rode it for 4 months while it was my best friends though, which made me ride very carefully. Soon after I bought it from him. Been ok ever since. I am, however, an extremely respectful, logical, and smart rider... don't go at it any other way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
easy does it. you dont need to start out on a 250 just take it easy and you'll be fine. its not only the throttle that will cause u problems take it easy on everything throttle brakes turns anything can surprize you and put you down. think clearly and stop and think about simple things like putting the kickstand down and up every time. your spending extra money on the bike you really want and you dont want to get hurt or drop the bike and mess it up either so be careful out there and good luck

G

·
before you all go telling him to get the 636, you should realize this is the kid that failed the MSF

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Hold on? No offence but I dont think a 636 is for you...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I Learn On Dirt Bikes Then Upgrade To My First Street Bike Was A Lowered And Streched Gsxr 750 I Was Like 17 Back Then .....after That I Got A R6 Year Later A Gsxr 600 Then After That My 636 ...u Gotta Have Lots Of Respect And Control For The Bike And U Will Be Ok

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
before you all go telling him to get the 636, you should realize this is the kid that failed the MSF

:plusone:

How is anybody capable of knowing what this guy's skill level is? If you are not sure, always reccommend something more manageable. Just because YOU mastered a 600 or a 1000 your first time, doesn't mean anyone can

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
havent read all the rest of the posts so i'm not sure if its been said yet. the best thing you can do is go out the first day to a parking lot that's empty. get it nice and warmed up. the revv the piss out of it and dump the clutch. this will give you a feel for the power that bike possess's. if you can hang on at that point then you can handle the 636.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
OMG!:wtf:...Seriously dude, what is your malfunction?? One day it's a new 250, the next day it's a pre-gen 250, then back to the 09 250 cause the pre-gen was over "your limit" (by a $100) and now it's a 636!! You come here for honest opinions, we give them to you and then you do what you want anyways but continue to ask for opinions on the same damn topic. You couldn't pass the MSF and you have never ridden a bike other then the MSF, so why would you put yourself on a 636!?? Don't ask for opinions when all you really want is confirmation to do what you've made your mind up to do already!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.