Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
i started on a 89 GS500, learned alot on it. Then i bought an 04 zx6rr and laid it over with in the first 2 weeks of owning it. I loved the power and the speed and that got me in trouble. In my opinion, it doesnt matter what you learn on as long as you THINK RESPONSABLY. I think it was quoted in that Cheesy movie, biker boyz "There are 2 types of riders, those that have gone down, and those that will go down" Just something to think about. Usually people lay down there first bike. What ever you decide to do, RIDE SAFE.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Lol. You guys should give the guy a break. He wants a bike. Everybody does.

A.N. - Buy a 250 dude. It doesn't matter what year you buy, what gen, how much you overpaid, underpaid, lost, went into debt, whatever, you won't regret it one bit. Just do it. Stop asking questions and getting everybody's panties in a twist over something YOU want to do. You'll be alright.

Go buy the next 250 you see. Post Pics. Ask dumb questions about the bike you can't stop riding.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting on a 250 and it really is an easy sell when you want to upgrade! Its exactly what I did and many people I know did! Well good luck and if you start on the 636 listen to what everyone else has said and take it easy until you are very compfortable!

·
Registered
25 Posts
ive taken the course. Everyone keeps telling me that a 636 isn't a good starter bike (And rightly so), but I just can't find a good deal on a 250, but ive found a good deal on a 636.

Did any of you guys start out on a 600? How was the learning curve?
Dude ignore what everyone tells you about a 636 being a bad bike to start on. My brother in law bought his Gixxer thousand after only having ever owned a RGV 250, 6 years before, and I would say thats a pretty big jump. Six years is a looong time to not have ridden anything.

He just took it very slow from the start, no dicing & fast rides out with experienced riders, no doing wheelies, endos and s**t.

Wear all the protective gear all of the time.

Remember the throttle works both ways. Its up to you to keep it safe! Be careful, you gotta watch out for yourself and everyone else on the road.

If you don't think you can be responsible on it, and if you think you won't be able to resist going beyond your abilities, then STAY AWAY from it, and get a 250 or something smaller. Saying that, you can hurt yourself on anything smaller too, believe me.

Respect the bike and its power and it will be fine. Be disciplined, and don't ride outside of your abilities. Don't be fooled in thinking you are some sort of Valentino Rossi. You will be sliding down the road quicker that you can say ZX6.

Best way to get to know your bike better and improving your riding technique, is to do track days, especially since this is what the 636 was built for in the first place.

Peace!

·
Powerhungry
38,976 Posts
Dude ignore what everyone tells you about a 636 being a bad bike to start on. My brother in law bought his Gixxer thousand after only having ever owned a RGV 250, 6 years before, and I would say thats a pretty big jump. Six years is a looong time to not have ridden anything.

He just took it very slow from the start, no dicing & fast rides out with experienced riders, no doing wheelies, endos and s**t, wear all the gear all of the time.

Remember the throttle works both ways. Its up to you to keep it safe! Be careful, you gotta watch out for yourself and everyone else on the road.

Best way to get to know your bike better and improving your riding technique, is to do track days, especially since this is what the 636 was built for in the first place.

Peace!
so, ur saying since a SINGLE person was able to start on a 1k, that he should do the same?:rolleyes:

i started on my 636.

but im sure as hell not going to suggest that ANYONE else do the same.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Only he will know what kind of personality he has, to be doing it or not. I think anyone thats stupid on any kind of bike be it a 636, 250, 125, or whatever can get hurt.

Riding a bike is dangerous anyway you look at it. He has a good deal on a 636, if he wants it, he will get it.

He has to do all the legal stuff if he is serious about it, i.e. pass the MSF course etc.

He knows to be careful, everyone has told him. I don't think regardless of what we say it would make any difference what he decides in the end. If he wants it he will get it, period.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Same here first bike is 636. As long as you respect the power and it still scares you, you will be fine. But remember even the smallest ninja's can do alot of harm. Don't get intimidated by other riders, and know your limits. Start to ride with new riders in the same calibre as you. My bike still scares me if I get on the throttle. take the course and be aware of everything it's not always you, its the other people also.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A. N., you said you found a SMOKEN deal on a 636. In my opinion, if the bike is such a great deal, yet you are RIGHTFULLY afraid to start out on it, then buy the 636, and PARK it. Dont ride it just store it. You can find old suzuki GS500's for CHEEEAAAAP. I got my 89 GS for $900. Buy a cheap bike as well. Learn to ride the cheap bike, take it to the track and ride the p!ss out of it. Then sell it and start riding the 636 when you feel more comfortable. That is if the 636 is that great of a deal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
wow alot of post. yea i was one of those that learned on a 600. its doable but if i were to go back i would get a 250. get experience. learn to ride and raise your skill level. sell it, then get a 636. deals are hard to come on but they DO come up you just need to wait. the first bike you own will most likely not be the bike you keep forever.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.