Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody else has put vortex clipons on their 6r. Here's why. You know how the factory ones mount below the top triple clamp. Well when I put the vortex ones on like that, they rubbed the ram air covers and I couldnt turn all the way right or left. So I ended up having to drop the front end down like 2 1\2 to 3 inches and mount them on top. Sound familiar to anybody? They look and work good, so I guess its ok. Feed back guys.

Loose is fast and on the edge you're out of control.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I did it and everything is working well so far. I stiffened up all of the settings on the front forks. If you know of any alternatives, i'm all ears. Or eyes in this case.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Be careful! Dropping the front that much usually results in head shake or tank slappers at high speed. The most most people drop the front is usually about 10mm which works out to less than 1/2". It will feel fine until it happens. You might want to see if there is clearance between the fender and the bottom of the fairing at full compression.

·
Registered
158 Posts
why didn't you just removed the ram air protectors? it doesn't effect the air intake at all, in fact that is how the racing bikes are. like swjohnsey said, dropping your triple clamps that much is gonna screw up your handling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had clip ons on my 2000 and had the same problem. first raise your front end back up before you crash, then remove your ram air covers. I removed the little tabs on the frame but you can bend them over if you want. you may also need to trim the head light adjusting knobs. make sure your levers dont rub the fairing at full turn. when I installed race body work I trimmed off about an inch under the bars which opened thingsback up again

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank guys ill try that, but even when I had the covers off before the bars seemed to rub the ram air piping and fairings. This is a real pain in the ass having to drop the front end down and putting it back so many times.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by ninja jim

when I installed race body work I trimmed off about an inch under the bars which opened thingsback up again
I just installed some on my race bike and ran into the same problem with the body work. I want to trim a little off of the area thats rubbing but their is a small lip in the fiberglass that gives that area some rigidity. Did you have any problems with the panel becoming flimsy when you removed that part of the fairing?

CCS AM #317

·
Registered
30 Posts
you are right, removing those edges makes the body work very flimsy but I never had any problems with it. they were sharkskinz which may have helped

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah, I have Vortex clip ons on my 2000. They fit fine under my tripe tee, BUT:

HELP!

My bar ends don't fit on the Vortex clip-ons! Rather, the allen headed bolt that attachs the bar end to the aftermarket Vortex bar does not fit the hole. Doh. And If I get another bolt that does fit it, it won't fit the bar end.

How'd ya solve that?

I have used JB Weld (I kid you not) as a stop gap, but what's the proper solution?

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All right I just figured out the problem. Vortex clipons aren't made for our bikes. We need the helibar style that come out and the back up so as to raise the bar height enough to clear everything. Unfortunately they only make them for 12R's. So its back to the factory ones. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.