Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a few wrecked bikes that I can buy and rebuild for fairly cheap. Only problem is I need a source for frames.The two that I'm really lookin for are a 2005 zx10 and on 06 636. If I can find a frame for less than 800 bucks or so I can have another bike up and running in a month or two since mine got stolen. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
see the problem is the thiefs snatch them up really quick so its hard to find one for a person that is legitly trying to fix a bike, you can go to a dealer but i believe you have to turn in the old frame (not 100% on that)

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
You don't have to turn in the old one. (At least I didn't have to)

--David

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Kawi dealer sells em for about $800 but they want ur old vin # I think..

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I've bought a new frame from the dealer before...its no different than buying an oil filter.

The new frame comes with no numbers, no paperwork. I kept the steering head of the old frame, and got a cheapy punch set from harbor frieght to put the vin into the new frame.

New 636 frame is like $900...check ronayer.com or cheapcycleparts.com

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem with the dealoship is that it's a major hassle to swap vin numbers over. First you have to show proof of ownership, and that the bike isn't totaled. If it's totaled they won't send out a new frame. Then you have to show that the work is being done by a certified dealorship. Then the old frame must be sent back to be disposed of. then the bike has to be inspected by a kawi rep, which could take up to a month, and pass the inspection, then after that inspection it has to pass a state inspection and be registered as a rebuilt title. Now if I can just get a frame from a bike that has been totaled without any frame damage. I'll buy this other bike that was totaled because of frame damage, buy a new set of fairings and walah. I have a rebuilt bike. Go and have the state inspection done and it's clean and clear.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
This is new....? When I did it it was like ordering any other part.....no questions....nothing.

Is this the dealer telling you this...?

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
It varies by state, not dealer. The dealer must play by each state's rules, so it's different from state to state.

In Iowa you can just order a frame if you want one. If you want it to be stamped with a VIN, you must go to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

--David

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I work at a bike shop. I can't get a rebuilders license so a wrecked bike with a straight frame is out of the question as well.I think I got it figured out thogh. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found a ton of frames here.
Slob. You're fucking awesome. That's just what I was looking for. Those don't even have a vin number. I can just use the old one and register it. Damn only if those were bike frames and not picture ones. lol. I needed a good laugh.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts