Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you have tried the Zero Gravity sport touring windshield. I specifically would like to know how much different it is than the DB. I had a DB on an '01 GSXR 600, and it worked pretty well. At 6'2", I need to direct the air higher than stock height. If you have any pics, that would be good too. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Originally posted by Fish1
Just wondering if any of you have tried the Zero Gravity sport touring windshield. I specifically would like to know how much different it is than the DB. I had a DB on an '01 GSXR 600, and it worked pretty well. At 6'2", I need to direct the air higher than stock height. If you have any pics, that would be good too. Thanks.

My experience with windscreens. I would have to say that the stock windscreen would be my last choice. The Zero Gravity Double Bubble Windscreen was a great improvment over stock. The MRA Vario Touring Screen has them beat hands down when it comes to a windscreen that can be adjusted to the rider. Over last winter I was searching the internet for a better solution for a windscreen for my ZZR. I had remembered that a good friend of mine had a MRA Vario Touring Screen on his ZZR1200. So I started searching MRA's website. I decided to contact the production manager at MRA in Germany. They make some very nice windscreens for all types of motorcycles. I convinced them to produce for me a one off VARIO TOURING SCREEN. For those of you who are wondering what is a Vario Touring Screen? It consists of MRA's Touring screen in dark smoke of course with an adjustable spoiler attached. The VarioTouringScreen features a 7-position adjustable spoiler at the top of a TouringScreen-shaped windshield. The adjustable spoiler can be used to redirect airflow to suit the rider. MRA did not currently produce one that will fit a 1998-2002 ZX6R aka 2005-2007 ZZR600. The windscreen had a production date of February 10, 2006 at MRA in Germany. The MRA Vario Touring Screen makes riding long distances much more enjoyable because you can adjust the spoiler to redirect air flow so it's takes pressure off of your helmet thus taking pressure off of your neck, which makes for much more enjoyable riding and less fatigue on your neck muscles. What a great product, especially since I have the first one ever to fit a 2006 ZZR600 in the entire world. MRA now produces the Vario Touring Screen for the 05-07 ZZR600 aka 98-02 ZX6R. If you have any questions please free to ask, I would be glad to help. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2598/363/

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have debated the same thing. With the stock screen, the air hits me around shoulder height. I am happy with it until speeds over 120. At that point, I really have to get into an awkward position (chin on the tank and but all the way back) to get out of the wind.

My dad has a sport touring style screen on his 'Busa. I hate it as it directs the air right at my face (not over your head). I am 5'
-10".

The sport touring style screens are pretty hard to find for our bikes. Here is a picture of what it would look like (off zero gravity's web site).

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Originally posted by MadViking
I have debated the same thing. With the stock screen, the air hits me around shoulder height. I am happy with it until speeds over 120. At that point, I really have to get into an awkward position (chin on the tank and but all the way back) to get out of the wind.

My dad has a sport touring style screen on his 'Busa. I hate it as it directs the air right at my face (not over your head). I am 5'
-10".

The sport touring style screens are pretty hard to find for our bikes. Here is a picture of what it would look like (off zero gravity's web site).
I'm 5'-11" and my MRA Vario Touring Screen works well at redirecting air flow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I just need to direct more air up over my head instead of blasting me right in my chest. The DB was way better than stock on my Gixxer, but more deflection would be cool. It looks like maybe the sport touring comes back further than stock, but how much more of an angle is what I really need to know. Right now, with my ass all the way back on the seat, and fully tucked, my helmet is right at the windscreen now. If one comes back further, my helmet may actually hit. I don't think the looks are all that bad, but it kinda hard to tell with just the pics they have on their site. I can pull off the full tuck if I have to, but I don't like to just to ride 80 on the interstate. Maybe I'm just too freaking big to ride sportbikes, but they're way more fun than the big ass cruisers. At 6'2", and about 245 lbs, the only sports that fit very well are the 'Busa or the ZX-14, and I can't afford either, and one is ugly as hell.

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
Fish, to be totally honest you really are going to be better off getting a more extreme DB from the likes of MRA or Fabrini, Puig etc as they tend to make more of a higher bubble further towards the light and higher in the air. I do not know what make my DB is but its really good, i am 5'11" and have easily taken my bike to its limit without getting buffetted about and also not having to have my chin on the tank.

Pics:

Russ

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the look of your shield alot. The Puig touring shield looks like it comes way past the top of the fairing and I don't like that look. I wish I knew who makes yours.

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
I have searched and ill be honest i have found nothing similar, I bought mine on ebay last year cos it looked really smart and was a mix of dark and smoked in 1 screen. There are no distinquishing marks on the screen to tell a manufacturer and the only sticker is a no fear one (nothing to do with the screen). If i do come across it ill be sure and let you know.

Russ

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see one listed on eBay now from a company called Bestem USA. Does that sound familiar? It looks to be a decent shield, and they claim to be one of the largest manufacturers of OEM shields. Anybody ever tried one of these?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since nobody replied about the Bestem USA shield, I took a chance and ordered one off of eBay. I got the shield today and it is really nice. It is dark smoke with a nice high double bubble and the fitment was really good. It has a couple of really small gaps between the fairing and shield, but I've had LP and ZG shields and I think this one fits just as well. The best part was the price, $39.95 + 8.00 shipping. I'll post some pics here with this post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.