Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently under the process of doing soem serious motor work and am searching for some useful assistance.

I am doing the usual, "blueprinting" and such..............lighten and balance crank, knife edging the rods, zero-ing out the head, and so on.

Has any one discovered a good trick for these Kawis.......

Thanks for any input...

Jason

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Nope, but standard engine building practices that are used in making high hp car engines translates directly to these motors.

How goes the other project? Been a while sincee we last talked.
BC.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent...............my machinest is a bit lazy,(working for free and all).........but I still feel there is something there and worth the testing.........spring will have to wait......hehehe..........

later

Jason

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
boring it out= more volume... +
boring out makes it run hotter... -
decking to zero clearance... +

what I would do... change the cams, bore it out, deck it, port the head, etc. if its for free.. get as much flow possible! cant tell ya horsepower gains though...

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, decking is making sure the head(and block) is flat.......so when the two meet, they are perfectly flat at one another.

Knifing is making the conecting rods have a knife edge to their sides.....so when they splash through the oil,air,and oil mist the knife edge assists in piercing through.(like the perfect form on an Oylmpic diver, the cleaner the entrance, less splash).

Zeroing out the head, is making the distance between the head and block to perfect tolerances......Unless you have Titanium rods you have to have a gap(cause steel grows with heat and speed) ....somewhere around .025 .

Indexing the cams is a must.....stock profile is fine with me.

Jason

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
How about gains doing this. Anyone having experience. Not that I am going to do it, but just curious. (I am too lazy for this stuff...)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Oh yeah, did you ever decide to pick up the euro/australian 636 parts for the 2mm overbore job you were thinking about?

BC.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like anything mass produced there are variables. Making sure all is where it should be is a no brainer......When you go beyond the manufacturers limits you get into the area of performance verses reliability. The more radiacal, the less reliability.....ticking time bomb in some cases.......Gains are relative, but depending on how well your bike was put together and broke-in gives you an idea if you need to go in and bring things back into spec...dyno runs and leak down teasting can put you in the ballpark of where your bike stands.

Yeah, the Euro parts....well I can get them......Austrailia is the best place.....dollar conversion and all........but I have to finish making a good contact at one of the shops to get them to order the parts and such.............hoping they get it right and all......I inquired at Kawasaki Canada and they basically said it could be ordered.......kinda not really......Even with my connections I would still get placed at the bottom of the ordering list and could be forever to get the parts.....
I'll put it on the back burner for now......see how the new motor work and then I have the option to go bigger if needed.
A big bore kit is a given, of some sort of increase of power, but if I do the others first then more can be added later......all about steps.....

Jason

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only other thing that comes to mind is polishing the tops of the pistons..............anyone else??

Jason

·
Registered
202 Posts
polishing the top of the pistion is a good idea but it really sucks doing it by hand.hand is the only way or you might take to muck off. Deck the jugs instead of the head,its easyer and if you f**k it up you didnt wast a hi dolor head.
Barry

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fortunately the ZX6R of 2000,and related, have a layered head gasket..............three layers (each of .25mm, I think, double check before I do the final assembly)but the jugs would in deed be cut before the head......so there is the possibility of not physically machining any metal away(I hope)....

The tops of the pistons are funny, they have a very rough cast to them, so, with Dremmell in hand and a slow afternoon all will be fine.

With the snow fall up to 2 feet at present, dude has to have something to do.......

Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.