Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
more an observation really.........
just got my 02 model yesterday(first ever big bike),noticed after not very long that the riding position puts pressure on your wrists,not painful as such but noticeable on a 1/2 hour motorway jaunt.
i assume its just the way the bike is,forcing you forward and down.presumably ill also get used to it.
please,no comedy "wrist-strengthening" jokes please,had enough of them whenever i mentioned it to one of my mates yesterday 8 )
cheers,
col

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You can adjust your brake and clutch levers so that you do not have to move your hands as much when you shift or brake. I rolled mine down a little and it made a big difference. Also you can sit closer to the tank, helps a little. Plus, it takes a while to get use to a position your body is not use to. For 2 or 3 weeks I had sore wrists then I figured out that my bike was not set up for me. Set up my suspension, shifter, clutch lever, and brake lever and man did that bike get more comfortable. Riding is so smooth now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"only when i beat....nevermind."

*groan*
yeh thanks,suspected as much about the setup.the guy i bought it from had fairly recently set the suspension up for himself,i'm half a stone heavier so shouldnt be nmuch in that. but he's a bit shorter,so as you say,levers will probably make a difference.
will have a fiddle before i take it out again.
cheers,
col

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Clamp the tank more with your legs and use your abs and lower back to hold yourself up. Once you get the hang of it, it's really easy to ride without putting weight on the handlebars, which is the way you should ride anyway.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
heh what u really gotta watch for is when you go for a loong ride. as in down highways that don't twist much. gotta hunker down behind the windshield. then your neck and eyes are straining to see ahead of the bike. that's harsh[B)] do it for an hour and a half and you'll see what i mean..[B)]

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
like blue636 said, use your other muscles to support your weight. that will cure everything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeh thanks,have had a kr-1 and rgv250 in the past. they were even more uncomfortable,same ride position but about 2/3 of the size.
sure itll just take a bit of getting used to,certainly noticed it when i picked it up cos had to ride for about 40 mins. on motorway,in pi$$ing rain for the last bit. welcome back to biking *sheesh*
col

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Wow! I am not alone. I have pain in my left wrist from leaning forward. I will take the advice to heart and start to use my abs and back to stay upright. Thanks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
What I do on a long stretch of road is alternate between a normal riding position and a variation on the tuck.

Put the balls of your feet on the pegs and push your knees higher up on the tank (think tip-toes [:p]). Then lean over and rest your elbows on your knees. This a good position to rest your lower back and wrists on those longer rides.

i wouldn't recommend this position except on open roads where obstacles are less as it will take you longer to react and transition to a defensive position.

·
Registered
176 Posts
my wrist get sore after lots of ride'n in city. all of the clutch action gets to me sometimes. one thing i do is relax my arms and elbows. this helped me alot. i learned this from cycling. i don't cycle much anymore since a bought my mountaun bike(zx-6r).[8D]

·
Registered
55 Posts
use your torso-muscles to hold your upper body, and clinch your thighs to the tank, that keeps your weight off the handlebars and you get a more stabile riding-feeling. Clinch your thighs when you brake! thats the most important thing because it keeps yor bike stabile and prevent waggling. Didn`t you learn this in drivingschool? ..well I did. The drivingteachers are very strict here in Norway. Have a nice run;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
You may want to consider a handlebar conversion. Remove the clip-ons and install some motorcross riser clamps and a drag bar.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Well, I don't know if this is good advice or not but here's a trick if you're riding in a straight line with few curves for a while... do it with one hand! If you leave your throttle hand on and sit up straight with your other hand on your thigh or hip you'll notice it's very comfortable.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
my wrists don't worry me too much..it's my eyes/head that start to hurt sometimes because if you're going fast for a long time and you're behind the screen you have to strain your eyes ahead...well thats me anyway

·
Registered
354 Posts
I do alot of deadlifts, so I can use my back to stay off my wrists. It is a great back stengthening excercise. My back never gets sore.:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.