Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the look of black frames, my buddy had an RC51, and I love how they look on the new 6RR. I think it would look good on my bike. I'm not really into polishing, but I would be all about the black frame look. I'd have to do the swingarm too. Has anyone done it? I think a flat black would be best. Would it get stone chipped (s'arm) too easily??? Would you clearcoat over it??? I need to know if this is a viable winter project. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to autobody/painting.

·
Registered
534 Posts
i'm 'a paint my frame sometime this winter. my friend told me to just get flat black and some flattening agents to give it that matte look. also to make sure they have UV protectant in both the paint you use and on the clear. he also told me i'd have to get some kind of flex agent because the frame will tweak a little here and there. Also we'd have to strip the paint, and prep the surface with some kind of acid. I didnt really catch on but that's pretty much the whole idea. painting it would be tricky from what he tells me. he said to paint the inner part of the frame a thicker coat because it's exposed to more heat. At least he's going to help me do this...I'll do most of the things on my bike, but some things I just wont trust myself and leave it to a pro.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
You'll need to sand off all the paint that's on there if you want to do it right. Don't anodize it as that'll fade with sunlight. I'm going to have my frame powder-coated black this winter. I really don't know what else it entails outside of what I've already mentioned.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i do, howver i didnt take my time the first time to get all the parts covered up. i need to touch it up sometime in january when it gets 30 degress outside and its too cold to ride.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have to go with the Moderator. It is worth the trouble to have it powder coated.
I had a frame chromed a couple of years ago and it was a pain to keep clean. Then I tried painting the frame on my ZX-7R and it chipped and scratched easily. I just had my RGV frame and swingarm and rims powdercoated. And they look great and are easy to clean. If you have the time it's worth the money.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
While I don't have specific experience in the argument, I have been told by a member of another forum that powder coating can make a metal more brittle due to the extreme high temperatures involved in seating the paint, and highly recommended against powder coating frames and rims. Again, not first hand experience, but I think you should at least investigate it by speaking with the professionals who are in the know before jumping on it. He instead recommended a three-stage paint process involving a clearcoat topcoat for alloys, and only powder coating good old fashioned steel.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
That's a good point DJ. They bake the paint on in powder coating, so it makes sense that if the frame got too hot, it could weaken. Just the possibility of that is enough to make me reconsider.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
the lower part of the frame (rough cast) is painted with enamel(oil based paint) used for painting metal fences and gates. it withstands high heat and doesnt scratch that easily. before you paint either sand down the area or strip the paint, since the coating on the frame will not hold the black metal paint very well.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm not really interested in powder coating it. Why...well I dunno, I just can't be bothered to go to the trouble, and plus the $$$. If I paint, I'd do it myself. Arturo, that looks sweet man, I didn;t know it wa spaint, figured you p'coated. So what type of paint etc did you use? How long did it take etc??? Would you do it again in hindsight? Any real close up pics? Could you do a decent job w/o totally removing the frame? Am I done asking questions??? ;)

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Eh, the guy who's doing my frame will charge $100 for the work so long as it's already prepped - that is, stripped of paint. It's already halfway done and the motor is coming out again anyway.

The temperatures required for powder coating 350F - 425F for half an hour MAX - well within the service limits of the metal at hand. I bet the headers get close to that sort of heat too, albeit only near small partitians of the frame.

I think it's gonna have to be black, and maybe get a two-tone gloss/matte black finish on the bodywork - who knows. It all depends on how bored I get!

·
Registered
202 Posts
POWDER COAT!!!!!!!!!! I did my old zx7 and it WAS great!!! It wont chip like paint ,its bad-ass I payed 600.00 for frame/swingarm,2 wheels,fork sliders,tripple clamps,little brackets,i think that it.
Barry

·
Registered
934 Posts
Transman, $600.oo for those parts? Did you have them do all the prep work too cuz it seems kinda high...

I had the undertail and licence plate braket I fabbed up outta steel powder coated for a wopping cost of $10.oo. Last I looked frames were typically $100.oo and wheels $50.oo ea., little parts are practically nothing... especially when the coater is already in the process of applying the same colour on a bigger part.

Anyway, IF and when I were to do my frame I would definitely go to the trouble of having it powder coated.

Arturo3rd, that bike is looking great!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
theres no winter in houston. took me a hour to paint the bottom part. the upper are carbon fiber frame covers. let it dry for 2 hours and off i was again. you can go to sherwin willams paint store or maybe any home imporvement store to find the paint. all you need to do is tape off any part that you dont want the paint to be on, and dab it on with a cloth(almost like the sponging method on walls). for the hard to reach are use any small paint brush(like the kind kids use when using water colors) and you might need to do two light coats.

wheb it dries you can take a box cutter to take off any extra pint on the subframe bolts, and i recommend getting the "dust caps) from ebay to fill in the frame hole.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My 2 cents: Our bike's frames are made of aluminum and the melting temp. of aluminum is apprx. 1220 F. Tempering of aluminum (heat treating to effect its mechanical properties) involves heating aluminum up to 1/2 - 2/3 that of the melting temp. AND using various "quick" cooling techniques. That said, if Strongbad's info on baking temps of powdercoating is accurate (which I'm sure it is) then powdercoating is safe to do on our frames.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
There is also a low temp powdercoat process out there, but I haven't seen much of it. Baking a part is also a lot different than melting it. The outside of the part and the base coat of the powder are going to receive the most heat. IMO, it's going to take a lot longer than 20 minutes of 400F radiant heat to do any damage.

BTW, I'm pondering doing my frame, sub, swing and wheels black this winter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.