·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
*cough*you get what you pay for when it comes to tires*cough*

My suggestion is to go to a local shop and try to haggle with the parts guy. I don't have a single shop in town that isn't willing to cut their prices down for me upon my request to obtain my business! Several of them are ran by friends, but they all try to compete and beat eachothers prices so it works out for the consumer in the end. Try it... but don't try to cut corners with tires if you plan on doing anything more than riding redlight to redlight, you know? That's the ONLY thing between you and the pavement.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I could be wrong but I'm sure Tomahawks are a remoulded/retreaded tyre's, although that could be different in the states.Personally I'd never touch them but I've read articles about them in UK bike mags,none of which had any real probs with them although they don't have the grip levels of decent sport tyres.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
A couple of forum members on here have been very happy with the black rear tyres from Tomahawk, although I think they may have both been stunters, so I'm not sure whether that opinion applies to cornering or not.

They're also available on the carcass of your choice, so you can get the handling/turn in characteristics of your preferred tyre manufacturer.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I know alot of stunters who get tomahawks, but they are retreads. You probably won't get approved to go on the track with them, and as previously stated, they don't have the same grip level. If you stunt primarily, or just commute, they should be ok, but if you're a railer/track whore get some goodies.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
A lot of not very good info.

Tomahawks are done by the same company that retreads aircraft tires. They are not really "retreads. They strip the carcass down to the casing and cover that. The process is quite a bit more thorough than a retread and I have heard of maybe two problems with the actual tread. Don't worry about that.

However, they use whatever carcass is there, so they are molded on Dunlop and Pirelli carcasses mostly, so you get two different profiles. Add to that they every now and then have problems with the actual shape.

I ran them one season on the track. The medium race compound (they have street and race compounds)worked quite well. BUT I got two tires that were molded in slight waves, and the effect was unsettling to say the least in corners. You can return them, I elected to no longer use them.

A west coast racer, Garth whose last name I forget) was sponsored by them and did quite well on them one season.

If price is an issue, I would not hesitate to use the street tires, or the race tires for the track. Just don't be surprised if you lose a track day due to having to replace one.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Im running one on the rear now. Fairly decent grip once warmed up. Some poeple have complained about them being out of round. But I have to admit that my cornering confidence is lower.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i am riding one(tomahawk T3) on the rear now. it is OK. real slippery when first installed, more than any other tire i have experienced (too much mold release?) i bought 2 rears and a front for $182 otd so for me it was a good deal. i really only use my bike to commute 500+ miles per week so tires are an issue. i have used them in the twisties and it was no problem, i ride fairly fast, but do not let it all hang out. in the end it depends on your situation, if money is an issue then i would go for it, you will be OK.

sc1

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the comments it really helps out to hear what real riders think of the product.

As for the tires i am still undecided, i love wheelies and i love the twisties, so i guess i am an all around rider.

I have not attended a track day yet nore do i plan on it this year, maybe next year.

Thanks all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.