Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 zx6r problems.

Ok so this bullshit fiasco all started back in September. I was riding my bike and all the sudden it just completely lost all power. Got it on a trailer, ECU fuse was shot, battery was dead, etc. Took it home and it sat for a bit. Checked the Fuel Control Module/Relay box, the circuit board on the inside was toast. Put a new one in, nothing. Was no longer blowing ECU fuses, but there was no power to the fuel pump. So put in another fuel pump, same shit. Wired a direct power source to the pump with a switch and an in-line fuse, and that worked great. But the fucking shit still wouldn't crank. It was turning the starter over, but no fire, etc. So I got an ECU. Put that bitch in, rewired the fuel pump back to factory, and she fired right up. For about two minutes. When it cut off I checked and BAM, ECU fuse shot again. So now, every time I even turn the key on, the ECU fuse immediately fucking explodes. Regardless of kill switch position. There's two plugs on the ECU. One with like 24 wires, one with like 27 wires. I unplugged the one with 27, turned the key over, and the fuel pump didn't prime but the fuse didn't blow either. Plugged in the one with 27, and the cunt blew up. Whether the 24 wire plug is connected or not, when the 27 wire one is, the ECU fuse pops. So I pulled every single fuse out except ignition and ECU, still blowing. I pulled the air box, disconnected the ignition, and hot wired it from there (and yes it was done right, resistor etc), still blew the fuse. So I know it's not in the ignition switch, or kill switch, or lights, or fan. Checked all the wires on both primary and secondary injector connections, all look fine. Disconnected the gauges, no change. I know I've checked things I can't remember because I've gone through like 35 fuses in the past two days.

Is there anything else I need to check before I pull out the entire harness, split the tape/wraps from end to end, and individually inspect every single wire front to back?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I know this is the obvious answer but sometimes it needs to be said.
Check the common places that a wire harness can get pinched, turn the bars left and right and see if there are any wires getting pinched by the triple or the forks.

Never heard of it happening before and you may have already tried this but maybe unplug the tip over sensor and turn the ignition on to see it thats your problem.

Hell unplug every thing, turn on the ignition, then start plugging in one thing at a time till the fuse blows again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know this is the obvious answer but sometimes it needs to be said.
Check the common places that a wire harness can get pinched, turn the bars left and right and see if there are any wires getting pinched by the triple or the forks.

Never heard of it happening before and you may have already tried this but maybe unplug the tip over sensor and turn the ignition on to see it thats your problem.

Hell unplug every thing, turn on the ignition, then start plugging in one thing at a time till the fuse blows again.

Been triee the first two, gonna try the third part tomorrow.

·
What is this place?
18,517 Posts
I had that problem with my 04. Turned off on me on the freeway. Got home, it would crank like a mother, but would not fire. It was my kickstand. No joke, it was such a simple thing, but I would not think of it at all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had that problem with my 04. Turned off on me on the freeway. Got home, it would crank like a mother, but would not fire. It was my kickstand. No joke, it was such a simple thing, but I would not think of it at all.

But was it blowing the ECU fuse?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Place a lamp in series with where the fuse would be. Jostle bike around, pull harness, etc. When it short circuits, lamp will be bright. When bright look around what you are wiggling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had a similar issue on the '07 Softails... was wiring harness getting pinched and shorting out... As mentioned above, take the time to chase the harness and confirm nothing is pinched anywhere/ bare wires showing..

cheers

Little Mick

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've checked all the pinch points. Think I've narrowed it down to the starter relay. Getting a new one in on Wednesday or so. Hopefully that works.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Usually its a bad ECU that blows that fuse but it could be anywhere in the wire that supplies power to the ecu like a bad ignition switch for example.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starter relay came in, put it on, still blowing.

Here's a list of everything those wires in those three plugs go to, including tie-ins.

27 wire ECU connector:

Subthrottle Valve Actuator
" "
Exhaust butterfly actuator
" "
" "
" "
Speed sensor, motor unit (instruments etc)
Air pressure sensor
Water pressure sensor
Vehicle down sensor
Subthrottle and main throttle sensor
Vehicle down sensor, water temperature
#4 relay (in relay box)
#1 relay (in relay box)
Air switching valve
Kawasaki Diagnostic Connector
ECU fuse, meter unit
Subthrottle valve actuator
" "
Gear position switch
Subthrottle sensor
Atmospheric pressure sensor
Inlet air temperature sensor
" ", Vehicle down, inlet air pressure, Atmospheric pressure, servo, subthrottle
Crankshaft sensor
Meter unit
Joint connector

10 wire connector on relay box:

Turn signal relay
Ignition switch
ECU
Right side switches
Starter relay
ECU
Ignition, right side switches
Gear position, Gauge cluster
Kickstand switch, starter lockout switch
ECU

6 wire relay box connector:

Fuel pump
ECU
Meter unit, ECU fuse, ECU
Rectifier
Headlights
Headlight fuse

Keep in mind it's blowing the ECU fuse IMMEDIATELY when you turn the ignition over, whether the kill switch is on or off. I've replaced the relay box, ECU, fuel pump, starter relay, checked all the grounds, looked at every wire I can see that's not in the main bundle and sleeved/taped up. I even disconnected the ignition under the airbox, and hot wired it (with a resistor, I was gonna make a hidden interrupter switch for the ECU line so I made a harness, blah blah. I know it works for sure) and as soon as there was power it blew the fuse. I disconnected the kickstand switch in case it was shorted, still blew it.

As I said, it ONLY blows when those three plugs are all plugged in at the same time. You can plug in any two and it won't blow, but as soon as all three are plugged in it goes. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Have you tried what I suggested yet? Unplug everything, turn on ignition, then start plugging things back in one by one. When the fuse blows you will know what caused it. It will either be the component you last plugged in or the wires going to it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can look at the wiring diagram for the ecu, see which wires are powered, and with the key off start checking each wire for continuity to ground and see which powered wire is shorted to ground.

Also, didnt you say you cut the wires to the fuel pump and then connected them back up after the new fuel pump? Check those wires and make sure its wired back in correctly as one of those wires goes inside the pump and grounds to the plate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm gonna be trying the unplug everything today as well as a couple other things. And yeah I'm sure the fuel pump is wired back. I wired the connector back into the line. And I've changed pumps so I know about the wires luckily enough.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unplugged everything except relay box, ECU, and ignition. Blew the fuse still. Keep in mind I replaced the ECU, relay box, and eliminated the ignition switch and connector as a problem. Does anyone know of any sensor, or anything like that, that may cause the fuse to blow if it's not connected? Some kind of bullshit safety feature maybe? I can't buy another ECU and relay box. The people are saying they tested em before they sent them out and that it's my fault if they're bad. Also pulled the entire harness and split it end to end, fixed a couple knicks here and there but didn't find any real problems. Checked every inch of every wire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can't really be the rectifier. There's no current running through it without the stator producing current, which can't happen if the motor isn't running. It's exploding the fuse immediately when I turn the key on. Don't even have a chance to try to crank it. However I did unplug the rectifier as well just for good measure, it still blew.

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
I would double check your ignition, it sounds like a short to ground problem

1 - 20 of 28 Posts