Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I need to rebuild my front forks soon and was wondering if any of you have any suggestions to going about doing it, I talked to a mechanic and he said I just need to buy new seals ($12 on Ebay) and fork oil, replace the seals and put new oil in it. Has anyone seen a how-to guide on this subject or know where I could find some diagrams so I know that IU'm doing it right?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Closest I have come is changing fork oil. You need a factory service manual. There is a seal setting tool. You can buy one but people have been know to make them out of big pipe like pvc.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had new springs and a race tech valves installed. Nothing was mechanically wrong, I just wanted better forks for the track.

You can do this yourself with a manual. I opted to pulled the forks and have a local race shop do it.

If you need new seals, you might as well get as much out of them as you can. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
alright! finally something i know about lol..jk.
a while ago i rebuilt my whole bike and took the forks completely apart. it's not realy hard. if you're just changing the oil and seals it's hardly a big deal but if you plan on doing something more post up and i'll give you a hand. do you have a kawi? or what kind of bike? i got a manual for a 96 zx6r

·
Registered
202 Posts
Its not hard, all you need is to remember how it came apart get a shop manual. Your going to need an air & a air gun to remove the alin bolt at the bottem of the forks,I think its a 10mm.(IF YOU HAVE NO AIR TAKE IT TO BIKE SHOP)
I do ALL my own work,that wat i know all bolt are tight. Barry

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i didn't even use a air gun..just got a square piece of metal pipe and stuck it down the inside of the fork. worked pretty good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.