Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke the footrest bracket (item "35063A,STAY, STEP HOLDER, FRONT, RIGHT HAND, BLACK" of cheapcycleparts.com) on the right. Picture attached.

Call me stupid. Can anyone who have replaced or know how to replace the footrest bracket give me some hints / tips on doing it?

note: picture attached was taken from FortMyersDrew post 7/2/08

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
VeX or kkim in 3...2...1... ;)

It's really not that hard.
Remove the two bolts on the back that hold the brake cylinder.
Remove the two bolts on the front that hold the stay to the frame.
Flip it around and remove the rear brake spring assembly thing.

Reverse to put it back together.

Install new peg.

·
Registered
298 Posts
VeX or kkim in 3...2...1... ;)

It's really not that hard.
Remove the two bolts on the back that hold the brake cylinder.
Remove the two bolts on the front that hold the stay to the frame.
Flip it around and remove the rear brake spring assembly thing.

Reverse to put it back together.

Install new peg.
:plusone: its quite easy, takes about 5 minutes if beer isn't involved.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i had to do it on the shifting side it took about 8 min maybe if that the bracjet ended up costing my like 60 bucks though i bought mine at babbittsonline.com

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
pm me - been there, done that.... don't mind helping you out
winnie, I would take hokie's offer. :)

I've not done it, but it looks fairly simple, provided you have all the parts in hand to do the swap and have someone who has done it before to help guide you. Good luck... really glad to see you getting back into learning and riding. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
also been there done that

if it's broken, ask around and get a quote from someone that welds aluminium.
i had mine welded back together for 40 bucks. a new one wasn't an option at the time, that part was sold previously out EVERYWHERE. i supose bc newbs like me were lowsiding to the right.

it's easy to remove and reassemble. very intuitive.

there is a bracket, a brake pedal, a spring that returns the brake back to its neutral position, and the connection that trips the brake lights when you depress the pedal (pull on it.. see brakelight fire).

hope this helps

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you

mal1ce, for kkim or vex, everything is 123. For me, I don't even know how to fix bicycle :D Thanks for the instruction.

llenta, hey, may be beer could speed me up. :p

hokie250, just pm you. It is my very first pm to anyone :rolleyes:

kkim, hopefully it is simple, i still have the turning signal to replace. Couldn't wait to get back on my sbb :D. The weather is turning cold... I want to fix it myself, each and every screw, so it will take some time. Without you guys/gal in the forum, I would have given up riding already.

blantant, too late, ordered parts already. I didn't know we could weld it. I don't even know it is aluminum. :p but thanks, I will keep welding in mind, hopefully, i don't need it again, but things happen. For some reason, i always drop on my right too. I think it is better than the left since the muffler on the right pretty much takes all the beating. I don't like that muffler anyway so once I get better in riding, I will replace it. I am looking into frame slider too (kkim's instruction) and swing arm slider, a bit later, since my right fairing has damages already. It looks like a 1-2 day(s) work to install the sliders for me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
it really is that easy, i did it when i replaced mine with woodcraft rear sets. as long as you have the right size allen tip your good to go. unscrew 2 scews and the whole thing comes off. 2 more screws remove the master cylinder. the spring and brake light signal slip off and then re-assemble on to your new bracket. the worst thing that you can do is drop a screw somewhere and it rolls away. thats why i was saying don't let beer be involved because you will be more worried about spilling your beer then finding that run away scerw. ;)

good luck.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
it really is that easy, i did it when i replaced mine with woodcraft rear sets. as long as you have the right size allen tip your good to go. unscrew 2 scews and the whole thing comes off. 2 more screws remove the master cylinder. the spring and brake light signal slip off and then re-assemble on to your new bracket. the worst thing that you can do is drop a screw somewhere and it rolls away. thats why i was saying don't let beer be involved because you will be more worried about spilling your beer then finding that run away scerw. ;)

good luck.
I think the proper sized Allen wrench is even included in your tool kit. :)

lefty loosy, righty tighty. :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
it is kkim. i think its either a 10mm or a 12mm (i don't think its a 14mm, that seems too big).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Replaced the footrest bracket

Thank you very much for all of your help!
I was able to replace the bracket on Sunday afternoon.

It was a bit difficult for me to pull the brake spring back onto the new bracket.
It took me some time to figure out how to pull out the washer which secure the pin of the peg.
I didn't know how to get the right torque for the 4 bolts (couldn't figure it out how to use the torque wrench from Autozone and the nut driver bits I've got is either too big or too small), but I could unscrew them with hex key with ease so I just put them back a bit tighter (I guess) then before with the hex key.

The whole process wasn't bad, just very clumsy, dropped tools all the time.:p

As I was replacing the bracket, I realized that I cracked the front side fairing too...:mad:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Congrats on replacing the bracket. Don't be so hard on yourself... working on the bike will get easier with more experience. Sometimes, such as this time, you just need to get in there and fix a part that prevents you from riding. That's the best time to learn as it gives you an incentive to see the job through to completion and with it a sense of pride and accomplishment.

As far as the fairing, exactly which part is cracked? There have been some great threads on repairing the plastics on these bikes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kkim, thanks for replying.

The rear passenger seat fairing has a 2" crack, and the front fairing near the turn signal has a 1.5" crack and a small dent (see red circle on the attached picture).

I just feel very frustrated since I keep finding new damages due to that accident.
Hoping that I won't find anything else later. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
kkim, thanks for replying.

The rear passenger seat fairing has a 2" crack, and the front fairing near the turn signal has a 1.5" crack and a small dent (see red circle on the attached picture).

I just feel very frustrated since I keep finding new damages due to that accident.
Hoping that I won't find anything else later. :(
Check this thread and see if Richard has any parts you can use...

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=116672&highlight=motherload

or... you can ride the bike as is. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but as a beginner, this might not be the last time you crash the bike. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you, Kkim and Hokie250.

Looks like it will be kind of too costy to replace the fairings. I guess I will leave the fairings alone for now.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Replaced and Back on Riding!!!

I was trying to reply Hokie250 pm, but it said user not found.

Thank you, Hokie250 and Kkim. My replacement of bracket seems successful (brake works fine)!

Hokie, I have an Autozone 2 blocks from my house! I will ask them tonight for fiberglass patch.

I have resume my riding last week. My husband drove my bike to Eastern Long Island to a friend's house, and I was riding in the residential neighborhood. There is speed limit of 20 or 30 in that neighborhood which is perfect for me since I am going ~20 mph. Blocks are short too, and the houses setback is large, easier for me to see traffic. Hopefully, I didn't annoy the neighbors over there. I left my bike there.

My control sucks. It's a mess. I always forgot to turn off signal until the next turn. But at least, I am better in slow 90 degree turns now.

I couldn't wait for the weekend so that I could ride again! Winter is coming!!! Ski Season!!!!! 1010wins said that it will be snowing in Catskill, my favorite ski area :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
i remember this thread bc i had the same problem. good to hear it's all fixed and you're back up. we must have had very similar impact because i have the same pattern of damage to my R fairings-- almost identical. i also didn't know there were cracks until i kept riding. in my mind also too expensive to replace.

for now i've removed the R front and have a neked ninja, sans right turn signal. the repair of the cracks and scratches are coming along slowly. in a few weeks i will post some pictures. either it will come out glorious... or just silly looking. we'll see. i'll pm you if you're interested

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Blantant, of course I am interested.
Let me know your tips of fixing the fairings too. I've got one big crack (it seems like it is growing), one small crack, and one small dent to fix.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts