Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't yet, but was curious also on how it would feel. [:p]

I just tweaked the suspension settings from the stock set-up on the front and rear shock to the suggested suspension settings in "Sport Rider" magazine and what a difference over the stock settings. I will be adjusting a little more after I get some more feedback on proper sag measurements, preload adjustment and damping advice. But as a starting point the magazine had a good start to getting a better ride out of the stock suspension settings.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has tried this to see if it helps out with settling down the handling? I was thinking about experimenting with this sometime in the future.

2003 ZX6R Silver

·
Registered
298 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, guys...

What rear spacer are you referring to? And which issue of Sport Rider are you referring to?

Thanks,

inca jones
2003 636 Black

·
Registered
73 Posts
Originally posted by rippinrider

I just tweaked the suspension settings from the stock set-up on the front and rear shock to the suggested suspension settings in "Sport Rider" magazine and what a difference over the stock settings. I will be adjusting a little more after I get some more feedback on proper sag measurements, preload adjustment and damping advice. But as a starting point the magazine had a good start to getting a better ride out of the stock suspension settings.
What we're the "sport Rider" magazine settings please?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Originally posted by OGWG_Jack

My question is, how do you remove it? As soon as I find out I am yanking it.
From what I've read in this or another forum, is that once you take the nut off of the top of the shock mount, you have to lift the rear of the bike up to remove the spacer. I was considering getting a rear stand to do this but I'm not sure if it will raise the rear enough. Otherwise it looks like about a 3 person job. I really need to remove mine to get my feet on the ground a little more!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Inca Jones look at the top of your shock...there is a small spacer about 4mm in thickness at the top of the shock. It is removable. Once you remove it it lowers the back end a little which may in turn make the seating position more comfortable by decresing the slope of the seat. Spacers are usually added on track machines.

2003 ZX6R Silver

·
Registered
135 Posts
You don't want to remove the rear spacer. The bike is already to conservative in it's chassis geometry stock and removing the spacer will make it worse.

If you folks are getting head shake all you have to do is look in the mirror to see the cause....

Scott

·
Registered
142 Posts
Why would you want to remove this spacer? Unless you are verticaly challenged, I recommend keeping it on. Lowering your bike means you slow up steering unless you drop the front also, but then you're losing some lean angle clearance.

matthew 15:14

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The older ZX-6R might have been conservative in chassis geometry but the '03 certainly isn't judging by the number of cases of head shake reported. Head shake isn't caused by rider error. It might be agravated by rider error. Removing the shim will probably do a lot to cure this tendency.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I find the ride height and the aggressive geometry is spot-on for my riding style and my, ahem, weight...

Unless you are a lighter weight or you, like SW said, are experiencing a lot of headshake, I think the benefit of the quicker turn-in is a nice one to have.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hehe, I'm vertically challenged - and removed it on my '02.

Made bugger-all difference to overall seat height, no difference to ride and handling.

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by swjohnsey

The older ZX-6R might have been conservative in chassis geometry but the '03 certainly isn't judging by the number of cases of head shake reported. Head shake isn't caused by rider error. It might be agravated by rider error. Removing the shim will probably do a lot to cure this tendency.
Sorry, but head shake can be caused by rider input.

If 25 degrees of rake and 110mm of trail isn't conservative, I don't know what is.......the pre-'03 ZX-6R was agressive by comparison.

Scott

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Flachbau

Originally posted by rippinrider

What we're the "sport Rider" magazine settings please?

Here are Sport Rider magazines suggested suspension settings for the 2003 ZX6R.

- Front: spring preload : 4 lines showing
---------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rebound damping : 6 clicks out from full stiff
- Compression damping : full soft
- Fork tubes : 0mm with stock Dunlop tires D208ZR tires
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rear : spring preload : 30mm from top of spring to top of threads
Rebound damping : 4 turns out from full stiff
Compression damping : 4.5 turns out from full stiff.

Unfortunately they didn't state in the article what the weight was for the rider. I used the damping settings as a starting point and will be dialing in the preload and sag in the next day or two to get it perfect. These settings by far are better than the stock set-up as the bike had too much compression damping before giving it a harsh ride over small bumps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am relatively new to sports bike, even though I have owned several for a very short time previously.

What is the "perfect" setting for an individual rider? What do you look for? What sor of "feeling" are you looking for?

I think the best place for me to start out is also stock, then try out the sportsrider's settings.. and go from there...

Jack
---
Evo VII
ZX-6R 636

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.