Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, how was it? Was it worth the time & money? What kind of stuff they teach you?

I am thinking of taking the class, so would like to know what it's all about. I hear you get to bring your own bike. :D

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I took it in pa. its free here for us and you can take it as an option to get your license instead of the begginer course. It was ok, didn't really learn anything new. I would recommend it for anyone looking to brush up on there skills though. They try to get you into good habits and do a lot of repetative exercises, and you might pick up a thing or two you didn't know before.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
what specifically did they teach you? im thinking of taking it myself but in order to justify the $100, im hoping to actually learn something.

·
Powerhungry
37,961 Posts
Originally posted by JCP636
I took it in pa. its free here for us and you can take it as an option to get your license instead of the begginer course. It was ok, didn't really learn anything new. I would recommend it for anyone looking to brush up on there skills though. They try to get you into good habits and do a lot of repetative exercises, and you might pick up a thing or two you didn't know before.
i was under the impression u HAD to take the begginers class BEFORE u were eligible for the advanced.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
They *recommend* 1 year or 3000+ miles riding experience before taking the advanced course. The only thing that is *required* for the advanced course, thats not required for the basic though; is that you use your own motorcycle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i took it last summer ('02 6R) and it was kind of a let-down... don't get me wrong, they teach a bunch of really good stuff and try to reinforce good habits:

* get it upright THEN hard on the brakes
* keep your eyes up (fixation, etc)
* balance
* clutch / throttle control
* braking
* smoothness
* picking and holding a line

but a lot of it is just idling around a parking lot learning parking-lot speed manuevers... i'd have liked some more medium-speed stuff. it's good place to test frame-sliders actually... tight turns, low low speeds, i'm actually surprised i didn't drop my bike, looking back on it. it was all full-dress Harleys (one lady did drop hers), a Gold Wing, and me. the wing looked like a good time actually, maybe when i'm old...

if you take it, bring eyewear and an open-face helmet if you have one, it's a real hassle (and hot) to have a full-face helmet on and closed all evening. oh, and i'd just show up if they're full, most of the time it's 1st-come, 1st-served for no-show spots.

hth,

a.s.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm...doesn't sound like a whole lot more than the basic class. Maybe I'll save the $$$ and get some more gear instead.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Originally posted by need2ride
If so, how was it? Was it worth the time & money? What kind of stuff they teach you?

I am thinking of taking the class, so would like to know what it's all about. I hear you get to bring your own bike. :D
Is that the class that teaches you how to 2nd gear wheelie??;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
^^^ pretty much. You do like 1 or 2 more drills that the BRC doesn't do. They hosted a free ERC in Irvine a couple of months ago, I was definitely let down. At least I didnt pay for it, just had to ride 40 min [:M70]

Save your money and go to a trackday or race school.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.