Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm very interested in multi-rider communicators. nothing worse than riding with someone and losing them or waiting on them or whatever. so, anyone out there using headseats? recommendations?
thx

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
i am waiting on a pair of headsets for the walkie talkies, they should be here any day.

i knwo what you mean about getting separated...happened to me and my bud on Monday.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Supposedly either Shark or Dainese is making a bluetooth helmet where two helmets can communicate with eachother.. sounds extremely interesting to me. I wanted to get Chatterboxes, but they're so bulky and ugly. If someone makes a bluetooth helmet, that's what I'm going to want to get. Totally wireless! Booya!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by JPKWAKER
Whats the operating range on those bluetooth jobies ? ive only seen rider to pilion so far.
I don't know for sure.. Bluetooth technology is rapidly advancing though so I expect it will be pretty sweet!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
range is definately limted on bluetooth. i believe they were designed for mobile phone operation while riding not rider to rider communications. not to mention that your pals would have to get a bluetooth helmet as well.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I use chatterboxes, and they are essential for large group rides to keep things organizaed... Kinda hard for the guy up front to count 12+ headlights behind him at intersections, etc..

You dont HAVE to use the chatterbox with it connected to your helmet... You can simply run an extension from the box itself to your helmet if you want... Its nothing more than a computer PS/2 style keyboard extension... I believe it MUST be wired for all 6 pins however, not all computer keyboard extension cables are wired that way...

Bluetooth for rider to rider isnt going to work out too well.. Nolan has a helmet out (or due out soon) I believe, and I am sure its intended purpose is more for rider to passenger communications and/or using it with your cellphone. With bluetooth enabled FRS radios it could be used for other applications like rider to rider...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by ffej
I use chatterboxes, and they are essential for large group rides to keep things organizaed... Kinda hard for the guy up front to count 12+ headlights behind him at intersections, etc..

You dont HAVE to use the chatterbox with it connected to your helmet... You can simply run an extension from the box itself to your helmet if you want... Its nothing more than a computer PS/2 style keyboard extension... I believe it MUST be wired for all 6 pins however, not all computer keyboard extension cables are wired that way...

Bluetooth for rider to rider isnt going to work out too well.. Nolan has a helmet out (or due out soon) I believe, and I am sure its intended purpose is more for rider to passenger communications and/or using it with your cellphone. With bluetooth enabled FRS radios it could be used for other applications like rider to rider...
any idea where i can get info on chatterboxes? i must admit i don't know a thing about rider communication except that i need it ;)
thanks....

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i've done some online research and i have to admit i'm more confused now [:M7]
there seems to be a wide range of models/features. can anyone make a solid recommendation? wieght and size are important and is 3-way com doable?
thx!

·
Registered
474 Posts
the FRS and GMRS units are nearly identical, except the GMRS has some additional frequencies which work for further distances (the FCC allows you to use higher wattage signals I believe).

The FRS and GMRS units use the regular FRS allocated frequencies so they can communicate with those popluar handheld walkie-talkies.

The GMRS unit only has 15 channels, not the full 22 or so. I believe FRS was 14 channels and GMRS adds an additional 8.

Technically (legally) you are required to register with the FCC to use the GMRS frequencies, but few people seem to bother with this. Use of the FRS frequencies requires no registration.

They don't work great at high speeds, but that will certainly vary from helmet to helmet depending on how much wind noise you get.

They both have audio in so you can listen to music.

They also have a connector that works with cellphones using the standard 3pin connector... Most nokias use 4 pins and it didnt work for me.

You can buy a second headset to install in your passengers helmet and then use a standard keyboard extension cable to connect it to the main box for rider to rider communication.

These units are essentially just fancy FRS/GMRS walkie-talkies. The one difference in the chatterbox units is that the channels are not the same.. I believe channels 1-7 on the chatterboxes are the same as channels 1-7 on most (if not all) of the handhelds, but after that channel 8 on the chatterbox is like 16 or something.

I originally bought a different unit, the name of it escapes me at the moment, and it wasnt all that great. You had to buy the walkie talkie seperately and it had cables coming out from all over the place like an octopus.

If you have specific questions, please ask.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[:M50] thanks dude! i really appreciate the explination! i'll get online and do some more research, maybe after that i'll hit you up for some more info.
thanks!
anth

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.