Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if any of you guys wear one on the street or while commuting. I wanted one and know I will be dripping in sweat with it though :/. Was looking to pick up a Knox Aegis.

I know street is more dangerous than the track. Due to so many unpredictables.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
i dont. i see guys that do around town. not a bad idea.
i suggest getting one of the back protectors that goes into your riding jackets back, where the jackets are made for them...
there is alot of armor out there now made for summer riding if u feel its necessary to wear a spine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i do .. plus a helmet and jacket and gloves .... wear the spine protector... what can you do w/ a broken back ?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I wear full protection from head to toe and only weakness was my back/spine. I debated it, but I rather sweat and be able to walk. I just figured hitting the ground and then a pole or median would not be so nice.

I will be getting it this weekend.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
i do .. plus a helmet and jacket and gloves .... wear the spine protector... what can you do w/ a broken back ?
a wheelie..... in a wheelchair
or if ur not so lucky. drive a wheelchair around with the movment of ur mouth contorlling it with a stick..

you can also, if ur lucky. still have sex but not be able to feel it.

and if ur lucky do full upper body workouts and go fishing and ride a can am spyder. that three wheeled motorcycle, whatever its called.

but yea a spine is a good idea but a fuckin hassle to put on around town. that why i suggest a jacket with the armor in it. and the jacket should be tight holding the armor against ur back snugly!

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
my jacket has one built in, so yes. Lots of jackets these days have that option, its almost a no brainer.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
all the Astars jackets i ever seen has the slot in the back for one. they come with a foam piece just for support but you buy the protector seperatly in my expierence.
id like to know also what jacket comes with it

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an A* jacket whcih comes with a crappy foam back protector. Rest is all CE armor. I was planning on upgrading that or just buying a full spine protector.

Just for reference, this is the ones in jackets

This is a spine protector

You can see the difference right away and supposedly from my reading, the spine protector will help against impact to your back and protect penetration as well. The Aegis is CE level 2.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I wear mine all the time. It holds my gut in (so I look good for the ladies:D) and gives my back support which really helps on longer rides.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
If I get on the bike, I have boots, gauntlet gloves, helmet, jacket and hard shell back protector. Sunday morning wife and I might ride to Lancaster (1 & 1/2 hours), and I will wear all that.

Anymore I ride 90% track, so it is the aforementioned, except substitute suit for jacket.

--David

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
I don't need a spine protector. My skeleton was coated with adamantium.

·
Registered
267 Posts
yup, full gear every time I get on the bike.
I have the RS Taichi armored mesh jacket for summer riding. It has a CE spine protector in it in addition to shoulder, elbow, and chest protectors. Although the spine protector that came with the jacket is decent, I'm swaping it for a Dainese Wave protector in the next week or so.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I just don't "get" these squids who ride with a "flack vest", but nothing else. It's been my experience that you're much more likely to injure your extremities in a crash. Stiff spine protectors are fine if you regularly ride above 70mph and can get highsided into a telephone pole, but I think for every day riding it's more important to protect your limbs. While my TourMaster Intake jacket does have (foam) spine protection, which may or may not prove it's worth in a crash, since dropping my bike in June I won't ride without helmet, jacket (with shoulder, elbow & back armor), boots, gloves and knee protectors. Decent protection for many riders is too often restricted to the upper half of their bodies.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts