Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering if anyone wears only an armor vest when riding? Of course, shoes, pants, gloves, but when it comes to full sleeved jacket vs. vest?

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
When I was clipped by a car about 9 years ago, the ER doctors told me that were it not for the quality of the gear I was wearing they would have had to amputate my foot. Even with the gear though it still took 6 surgeries on my foot and lower leg and a bunch of physical therapy to get me walking without a cane again. I am sure that if you do a google search that you could probably find similar stories of people who have had arms saved by their jackets, and others of people in vests who lost arms because of it. Here is an article that is good food for thought.

https://rideapart.com/articles/10-things-ive-learned-10-motorcycle-crashes

Personally I always wear full gear when I ride. Boots, gloves, full length pants and jacket, gloves and helmet. In my opinion it's not worth it to wear less. Granted when the weather is hot I have a jacket that is all mesh except for the shoulders and elbows and has back armor that is ventilated as well, so I don't imagine that a vest would be much cooler except when at a complete stop. I literally cringe when I see people in vests though, or even worse, shorts and tank-tops while riding. <shudder> I love riding, but I would also like to stay alive and walking upright to see my son grow into a man.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see lots of "rocket riders" on the freeways sporting these vests with short sleeve tshirts on. Albeit, I have not seen anyone wearing shorts, or bad shoes.. but the exposed arms scares me silly.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Every summer I see people on supersports wearing shorts, t-shirt or tank top, and tennis shoes. It never ceases to baffle me. :dunno:

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Helmet, gloves, long pants, boots that cover the ankle. I believe that if you feel it's too hot to wear your gear, then you should leave the bike at home and drive your car. I have a perforated leather jacket I wear on my Harley and a mesh jacket when I ride my Kawasaki. Yeah you'll sweat a little more with a jacket, but you'd be surprised that it's not as significant as you might think in the dead of summer.

·
Registered
25,080 Posts
Full leather armored jacket every time I ride. It has vents and I can leave it unzipped a couple inches at the top to pull air into it.
I rarely ride with a destination in mind, so I don't care if I'm sweating when I stop for fuel/food.
If I was worried about what I looked/smelled like when I arrive at a place, I'll take my car.

It's the road rash I protect against. Wearing a vest doesn't do anything to protect my arms....plus it'd look funny with my full length gauntlet gloves.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll be honest, I'm heat sensitive. Im not going to let the heat stop me from riding. Sometimes I wear just a tshirt. I don't like it. Not even a little. But it's better than being stuck in a car, or passing out from heat stroke. No hate, my girlish feelings cant take it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
only squids wear those icon back protectors and nothing else...... ever seen a crash review of one of those buddies? having a spine is great and all but a spine with no brain at the top and no arms & legs to the side is a pretty rough way to live....

·
Registered
25,080 Posts
I'll be honest, I'm heat sensitive. Im not going to let the heat stop me from riding. Sometimes I wear just a tshirt. I don't like it. Not even a little. But it's better than being stuck in a car, or passing out from heat stroke. No hate, my girlish feelings cant take it.
With the mesh jackets that are available now there really is no excuse to ride in just a t-shirt if you truly are concerned about your safety.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can't get one to fit my bust and waist proportionately. It ends up being super tight around the chest and neck. I have one, I gave up on wearing it. I'll try it again though in regards to your comment. Though I'll be honest, I don't really know what mesh is going to do for me in a slide out.

·
Registered
25,080 Posts
I just picked up a fly racing butane 4 jacket. It has super adjustable waist area.
Ans irs party truck is the entire front zipper can be opened up to reveal a mesh panel that shoves air right onto your torso.
I'm bigger around the waist than up top ans the waist adjusters really helped

·
Registered
25,080 Posts
Another option is you are sensitive to heat is there are shirts...kinda pricey IMO...that you soak in water and then wear...as the water evaporates it cools your body. Once it dries out, just stop, dip it in water again and keep riding.

Overall my philosophy is simple...I'd rather sweat than bleed. I'd rather have a sticky sweaty tshirt than sticky little stones getting pulled out of my road rash.

And you would be surprised at how well those mesh jackets hold up in crashes. Just google it and you'll see review after review of people that were surprised how well the mesh holds up.
And anything is better than bare skin of a tshirt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fair enough, I'll give it another try. I can't believe that after years of talking down about squids, I've finally become one. Skin is definitely important, scars are only sexy on men lol.

·
Registered
25,080 Posts
Fair enough, I'll give it another try. I can't believe that after years of talking down about squids, I've finally become one. Skin is definitely important, scars are only sexy on men lol.
So the whole "chicks dig scars" is true huh? Well then, let me tell you about the dent in my forehead.
I got it by riding recklessly without a helmet.

Granted, I was only 2 years old and by riding I mean I was bouncing on my Inchworm and rode it off the front porch because my parents weren't watching me.
So I was a young squid and have the scars to prove it.

lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts