Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for someone that has Gilles rearsets that has also installed a Dynojet Quick Shifter. I ordered a Quick Shifter and Ignition Module on 9/2 and am expecting them later this week. I've been looking at my rearsets and it looks like the sensor is going to be a REALLY tight fit (if it will even work). If someone has this setup on their 05/06 ... could you post some pics please? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I will take some pics in the morning for you. I have attack rear sets, but are basically the same.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I ended putting the shifter on the front half of the shift rod as I did not want to have to worry about the wire being near the chain. I did have to use some washers to space the rod out so the quickshifter would not hit the frame and then spaced out the rear spot so I could shift and the shift lever would not hit the shift rod. I do believe that I bought two bolts that were a tad bit longer as I was using some washers on there. I also used a little lock tight on the bolts to make sure they were not going any where. [came undone on me my first time at the trac] Also I took some duct tape and put it over the bolts to also make sure noting could back out. Now I just want to saftey wire everything and I will be good to go.

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so that shifts for you? or cuts throttle so you can shift without the clutch? never seen one of these before other than on a gp bike
Doesn't shift for you ... it just allows you to up-shift at full throttle without using the clutch. When you push the shift lever, the sensor on the shift rod sends a signal through the PCIII and the Dynojet Ignition module to cut spark to the engine for a few milliseconds (I believe 60MS is the default) so that the up-shift can take place without the clutch and without manually cutting the throttle back. Greenranger's ZX-6RR has this setup and it shifts as smooth as if you were pushing a playstation button. I compared it to playing a video game. :D I can't wait to put it on. It should be here Friday!

The thing that sucks is that you have to have all three pieces for it to work. The PCIII, the Ignition Module, and the shift rod sensor. Those three items run $800+ dollars. But WELL worth it IMO.

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that sounds amazing.. but its only at full throttle? i know a lot about most things.. but nothing about transmissions.. it seems like this could do damage... no? i know you can shift without the clutch but.. this thing guarantees no problems?
Not just at full throttle. There is a setting where you set the RPM limit so that it will work once that threshold is crossed. I think Greenranger has his set at 5,000 RPM's. Once he crosses 5,000 RPM's, regardless of the throttle position (half, 3/4, full, etc... ) he can upshift without the clutch.

As for a guarantee of no problems ... there is no guarantee. I'm sure it probably causes a little more wear than usual on the shift forks.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I know 1-2 is still pretty hard on the bike withou the clutch. In the higher gears it is much easier on the bike.

·
Emperor
39,506 Posts
A quickshifter in combination with a Factory Pro shift star made my transmission shift better than any bike I've ever ridden...by a long shot. There's absolutely no clunk or noises between shifts, just the smoothest gearshift you've ever felt. My bike is an 04, but I've had no problems with the transmission whatsoever, and I've had this setup on my bike for almost two years. You can still shift the bike normally, you just don't have to.

·
Emperor
39,506 Posts
If you just ride on the street I personally would put the money else were.
This is true...it's kind of a waste of money for a bike that will never see a track.

Even on the street though, I seldom use the clutch lever when I shift (either up or down). In that respect, a QS is somewhat handy.

Keep in mind that my bike is an RR and it has a different transmission than the 636. It has a close-ratio gearbox so the jump between ratios is smaller.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts