Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard it mentioned but what is it or what does it sound like it should be?

A. Swing wide and clip the inside-top of the turn (less lean)
B. Wait til the last second and the flick it down at the outside-top of the turn (more radical lean)
C. None of the above

At close to normal speeds ( like when there's a slow-ass in front of me ) I like to flick the bike down a couple of times in a turn if it's not a tight one ("B" in the example above).

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's all of the above [^] - "apexing the curve" is a general term for choosing a point at which to flick the bike into the turn, usually the midpoint of the curve. What you were describing in (a) is an "early apex", while (b) is a "late apex."

From a safety standpoint, if the corner is not familiar, it's better to do an early apex which is a more conservative way to approach a turn and will allow you to adjust. A late apex, in my experience anyway, is a faster, more committed way to take a corner.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Does it not also refer to the goal of finding the straightest point between the entry and exit of the corner?

P.S. Snotrocket... Sweet avatar, did you make that yourself?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Picture turns this way... draw a line through them that requires the least-decreasing radius. It usually involves "tagging" the outside of the track on entry, and allowing the most speed to grab the inside of the turn and get you set up for the earliest exit. In other words, the least sharp turning required, which allows you to keep your corner speed up and get you exiting quicker and earlier. Now compare that to running the corner wide on the brakes and having to lean it in harder with less speed and a slower exit. Same principle applies to running the straightest line through chicanes or s-bends...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just wondering if there was a specific approach to turning being described by that phrase. It makes sense if it's a racing term and you do exactly as you guys mentioned.

I don't think it necessarily describes a "street riding" style though -- I like getting it down on the backroads [^] thus I'm not taking the shortest line --- this way I can be riding longer/further in an outing too :D.

Six-R: I snagged the avatar from a bike toons site mentioned here a while back... wish I could accept the credit

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
It's all fun until they put a cattle gaurd right in the apex of the turn which, by the way, they have done here when you get around state line (or Primm NV as they're now calling it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.