Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, you're not being squidley. At least you are wearing a riding jacket and helmet. Do you wear boots and gloves as well?

Jeans are not effective in the event of a crash, but it at least looks like you are making an attempt to protect yourself.:)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nemesis, I ride to work on mine every day, and I wear jeans, leather jacket, gloves and helmet with normal shoes.

If I go riding in the mountains, then it's full gear.

------
Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
479 Posts
This is an honest question for those here who are more experienced than I.
Are full Leathers (or other full leather alternative riding gear)
the only way to ride?
I will admit that I usually ride with an armored Jacket, Helmet and Jeans. I ride my bike to work as long as its not raining (too hard), or snow on the ground. I guess it seems easier for me to put on the jacket, rather than a leather one piece or leather pants as well. Honestly, is this stupid, I live in a college town and everyone else seems to be riding around in tank tops, a ball cap on backwards and oakleys. I call them squids but am I being one myself?

------
If your butt itches, your fingers probably stink!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think it's a good idea to have protection every time I ride (even for short trips), so I got an aerostich. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nemesis,
You're smart. When one of those guys go down and are getting skin graphs they will wish they had on gear. I wear a Joe Rocket meteor 4 jacket, ballistic 4 pants, boots, armor knuckled gloves, and a fullface helmet. It gets hot sometimes and I think "what a pain to put all this on". Then I think skin graphs, I can't work, etc... The full suit is up to you. Protection is good. I would love to ride in a T-shirt and jeans, but I know better now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
denim=20 metres fabric riding gear=60 metres LEATHERS=120 metres those are the results of a recent uk bike mags slide tests..i know what im spending my pennies on

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
no way it would be pratical for me to wear a full suit all the time...

it's all up to the rider to determine his/her level of risk....

when I cimmute to work I just wear protective jacket, gloves and helmet.

When I do any other riding I wear my draggin jeans/ or Ballistic 3.0 pants depending on weather, textile jacket (summer or winter depending on weather), engineer boots, gloves and helmet.

i dont own a full suit, so I dont wear that....

------

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wow, great advice!:)
Thanks for all the replies. I wear my Moto-X gloves (all I seem to have) but no boots. Honestly, I feel guilty sometimes like I'm taking too much of a risk since I have a beutiful Wife and 5yr old daughter at home. I live in norteast Kansas so no mountains and very very few twisties for me. When I ride for fun it's usually just me and one or two friends tooling around the lake or scenic roads in the Flint Hills. Seems like a waste for such a capable bike but I love the 636 and my Gixxer just the same :D (Although I think I might sell the GSXR now that I have the Kawa.
Anyway, thanks a lot!

------

If your butt itches, your fingers probably stink!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of road testing a textile jacket? I have a Joe Rocket and was wondering how they hold up. I know the armor in them isn't the best, but with the Texas heat, Leathers would suffocate you 10 months out of the year.

Thanks[8)]

------

"The Famous Mr. Ed"

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by mred

Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of road testing a textile jacket?
/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6393

Originally posted by NemesisOne

I wear my Moto-X gloves (all I seem to have) but no boots.
Get some good riding boots like Icon's. Which at $85 are comparable in price to most decent hiking boots that everyone wears.

I watched a guy come right out of both of his shoes on a 20mph get-off this weekend.

------

-gary

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I also think decent boots are way over looked. ankle/foot damage is one of the major things that happens in crashes.

that being said I'm a cheapsake and bought some really heavy duty engineer boots. They lace up past the ankle, have reenforced toes, ankles and sole, oil resistant soles and cost me like 50 bucks....and dont look weird with regualr pants and such...

i only crashed tested them at 20mph but they works great....

------

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Appreciate the link Gary! There is too much useful info on this board. Pretty soon, everyone's response is going to be" Do a search dumb ass" :)

Thanks again!

------

"The Famous Mr. Ed"

·
Registered
159 Posts
Originally posted by mred

Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of road testing a textile jacket? I have a Joe Rocket and was wondering how they hold up. I know the armor in them isn't the best, but with the Texas heat, Leathers would suffocate you 10 months out of the year.

Last April I dumped my 929 at about 40mph and my Joe Rocket textile jacket saved my ass. Only a few scratches on me. But it did ware threw in a few places where their was no armor. My next jacket will be lether.[B)]

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
What gear you wear is entirely up to you. However you arre wearing pretty much the norm for most(not all) street riders(jacket,gloves and helmet). Have you ever thought about buying leather overpants. They zip on over your jeans and while they don't provide as much protection as padded leather pants they do offer more protection than just jeans. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.