Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, who's owned, driven, touched, at least seen one?:confused:

I've been checking them out and they seem like a pretty sweet bike. Just looking for feedback, positive or negative!

Yes, I have a '7, but I am currently looking for another smaller bike to "hone" my skills so-to-speak...:D

Also, I am having a problem even locating a dealer in CANADA. Do they even sell them in the US? There are 3 dealers in Atlantic Canada, and they only sell thier scooters...:mad:

Preferably looking for a '96 to '99.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I forget what year they stopped bringing them into the states that are street legal. I know they swap the 250 motors into the rs50's after that but I have no clue what years are able to be swapped.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
swapped??

I'm just looking to buy one as a street legal bike.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good luck with that! I was looking at Aprilia RS125 but the price (and cost of traveling to get one) wasn't worth it IMO. They are rare in our neck of the wood indeed!

I've been checking them out and they seem like a pretty sweet bike. Just looking for feedback, positive or negative!

Yes, I have a '7, but I am currently looking for another smaller bike to "hone" my skills so-to-speak...:D

Also, I am having a problem even locating a dealer in CANADA. Do they even sell them in the US? There are 3 dealers in Atlantic Canada, and they only sell thier scooters...:mad:

Preferably looking for a '96 to '99.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
indeed. What price were you quoted? I know it would be different than a 250, but still...

BTW whereabouts in canada do you live?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
They're everywhere here. Rode my mates, what a POS for street riding. If you're hitting the track they would be awesome but otherwise, don't bother.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
was on one the last month and was tempted to buy but i kinda had to many bikes already.
but damn even at 74" and 250lbs i wanted to buy it & ride the shit out of it.
felt light and right, kinda like a gymnist during sex.

will see what happens in europe in january

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can advise ANYONE and EVERYONE on these forums or any, that Aprilia RS's are crap. If you wanna pay through the nose buy a ducati. I owned a RS125 and took me over a year to rebuild the engine after the gasket leaked sucked all the gearbox oil out and blew the entire gearbox, welded the crank cases and stripped all the gears (I have photos if interested).

Dont buy one.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Had a buddy that raced one in CCS back in the "RS250 Cup" days. He was the guy that came up with the 340 kit for it...some polaris piston and overbore. Never rode it though...I hate smelling like a chainsaw...

I read on a mini's forum that they are importing the RS250 track only bike into Canada this year...price wasn't too bad...like mid $6K's...

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, then i Guess that wont happen...

Anyone got another suggestion for a mid-power bike (250-550cc) I honestly don't like the look of the old kawi 250's or the 500's. and since I'd be keeping it for a while, I'd like it to not look half bad.

I don't have a ton of money to spend (up to $2000, MAYBE $2500 CAD), that's why I'm looking for something a little older. I'd like something with good response, power, etc, but not something overly powerful.

Any ideas??? I really have no clue on where to start.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've ridden one and used to one a RGV250(same engine slightly diffrent frame) and the RS250 is a brilliant bike. Any one who says other wise doesn't know what they are talking about or talking out of their ass. The RS250 is a superb bike, it handles like a dream, has great brakes and the engine is great.
All these nay sayers are people who have only ever ridden 4 strokes and when they get some little saddle time on a 2 stroke they complain about the powerband and what not saying their not good for city riding. Bull shit. Ride a well sorted 2 stroke and city riding is no problem. Get the bike in some twisties and it really becomes interesting.
From my understanding if you can get a titled 250 2 stroke in nrth America for a decent price go for it as they are rare as hens teeth. Apparently they are getting harder to register or something.
I had my RGV for 2 years and it never ever let me down. Its a easy as to rebuild the engine. The gearbox is cassete style so can be swaped in a matter on minutes. I know I've done it before.
I am a huge fan of 2 strokes and it really gets to me when farkwits who dont know shit complain about 2 strokes with no basis.
Dont even start comparing a RS125 to the RS250 totally different bikes.
The power on the 250 is really interesting once you hit the power band it all comes alive. Constant gear changes to keep the bike in the power band. I like that. (that's what lazy 2 stroke hatting people don't like).
The handling of the bike is excellent. Light weight coupled with race suspension.
If you can get a RS250 I'd say go for it. It'll be guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
i saw one fly past me at my first track day back in may. saw another one at my last track day in august. they're much faster than i thought they would be...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
3 Posts
i saw one fly past me at my first track day back in may. saw another one at my last track day in august. they're much faster than i thought they would be...

s3aturnr
that's what their made for..racing only, and that's the closest thing your ever get to a motogp bike [250 class]..:cool: to the OP, if your a track junkie, go for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts