Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Looked at 'em and have seen one on the road in person. They are very cool looking, and sound fantastic. Here's a link to an SXV video:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/videos.aspx

Having said this, there are apparently ALOT of teething problems going on with them. Check out the forums:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50&order=desc

I'm going to wait until '08. For $8500, alot of issues should have been worked out at the factory before release (like the widely reported hard starting and oil level issues).

·
Registered
236 Posts
The maintenence schedule is rediculous. If you are planning to use it as a street bike, forget about it. New rings and pistons every few thousand miles, complete rebuilds, etc... makes Ducati's desmo maintenence seem not so bad [B)]

If I had the time and $$ I would love to have one, but I'd probably go with a KTM or a Husky 510 ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
hey hey hey....

The maintence isn't so bad on the duc engines. Valve adjustments every 6k and belt changes every 12k. BUT you do get a TWO year warranty and road side assistance for that period for free.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Originally posted by jesse370
hey hey hey....

The maintence isn't so bad on the duc engines. Valve adjustments every 6k and belt changes every 12k. BUT you do get a TWO year warranty and road side assistance for that period for free.
Well, I've put in about 20k miles this season, and the only maintenance I've had to do to my 6r was, tires, oil and a valve check (still in spec.) And unless you have a mech. engineering degree valve adjustments on the desmo is better off left to the pro's. And at a few hundred bucks per trip to the shop = tons of $$ I'd be paying per season [:p].

Again, if I had the extra money, I'd love one, but I dont ;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Also heard the sxv gets bad gas milage. Like 40 to 60 mile to a tank. Did alot of thinking on that bike. Only makes sense if you have the money to own a really expensive track bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.