Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I walk to my motorcycle, which I park in its carport to see a note attached to my bike. It's from an surprise... anonymous neighbor whos window faces my carport. The basically said im waking them up daily at 7:30a and angering and provoking them and other neighbors. They asked i do whatever it takes to "significantly" reduce my engine noise. Oh, and the guy claimed to be a fellow biker...

anyone else run into this? what sort of solution did it end up with? I'm rather peeved they left the note, i myself have to deal with noise on my mornings off on friday due to gardners...

any ideas, suggestions? I dont really want to walk my bike off the property, infact i down right wont walk it off.. Less they reduced my rent .. =D

·
Registered
940 Posts
...you know what they say in Yuckem......

I would toss any note in the trash and ignore any comments made from anyone without the balls to confront you eye to eye....

Now if they came up to you politely and made a request that you please try to do something, I would just cut my warm up time down a bit and idle to the end of the block...

Walk it off you say??? not a chance in hell...!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
My answer to that is to take all the packing out of the pipe, get up a little earlier in the morning, start the bike and rev it for about 5 mintues and then find out what your biker neighbor has to say. As long as there are no rules against loudness of vechicles, you are safe.

Me personally I would not walk my bike away from where I live.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
To me, that's part of the consequences of living in close quarters. Do you have a D&D on it or something? Walking your bike off premises is like asking them to wear ear plugs every morning...like that's going to happen...To me, if they didn't have your bike noise to complain about, they would complain about something else. Just hope they don't take it out on your bike. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
361 Posts
find the codes or laws for noise(ie what time you can start mowing) then post a letter next to your bike on the carport. you could also write that if they dont like the noise they could move to a diiferent apartment that isnt next to the carport. and then sign it anonymous [:M6]

·
Registered
563 Posts
Originally posted by Renozx6r

My answer to that is to take all the packing out of the pipe, get up a little earlier in the morning, start the bike and rev it for about 5 mintues and then find out what your biker neighbor has to say. As long as there are no rules against loudness of vechicles, you are safe.

totally.....find out who left the note and tell them to get over it - or move! :D
I use to get the same problems...except it was for my truck, and had true dual exhaust with no mufflers...People were always getting pissed off when I either came home late or left early.. But I just told them to deal with it....but definitly dont walk your bike down the street to fire it up...

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Originally posted by Renozx6r

Definitely DO NOT do this.
You will be asking for a nice nail in the tire or a long cracked fairing or ruffed up mirror if you follow this advice.
I would go door to door asking your neighbors if they mind you making all the ruckus. Pinpoint who it is that is complaining and kindly beat the shit out of them!....no, JK. Kindly tell them the importance of you having a loud bike as opposed to a silent one. Fill them up wish all the (unproven) facts about how loud pipes save lives and try and convince them that you do not do this intentionally to irritate them. Try and make nice. Tell them you wont rev your engine around your block. What I do is that when I get to the corner of my building I hit the cut off switch. Remember, they ARE your NEIGHBORS which live RIGHT NEXT TO YOU! To do something stupid is saying "please come take it out on my bike thank you".
Good luck bro.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would save that note if it's not too late. You may need it as proof later if someone damages your bike. I would do what you can to reduce the noise but don't go too far. Maybe pull it out of the carport so the pipe faces in another direction. That might reduce the echo effect.

I can't help but think if it were an even louder/obnixious Harley then you wouldn't get complaints.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
just ingmore the note, but bit do anything to make the bike sound louder. sabbadoo10 had a great suggestion.

·
Registered
152 Posts
[:M112] Thats stupid they can't address you correctly,Leaving a note just says they are too scared and weak of a person to have a man to man conversation and come to a resolution. I'd just use the kill off when returning at night,and not make any unneccessary noise.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you ignore the note you may find your bike damage one morning...to me it's not worth the aggravation, either talk to the guy or do what you can to not make as much noise in the morning. If something did happen to your bike I doubt if his note would be enough evidence to prove anything

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
too bad there aren't any cameras around. then you could catch him/her messing with it.

but yeah, i think you should just try to do what you could to avoid problems. never walk it, however. if you try to keep it quiet and they still complain, then it''s their problem.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I walk my bike down to the street..I start it in the middle of the street....so far no complaints...I also have a slight slope to the street so I can 'roll'/feather the clutch donw the road as it warms up....This is also the way I start up my Harley..but it rolls down hill easer

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
You guys need to get real. Disturbing the peace is disturbing the peace. It's just like sexual harassment, it DOES exist if someone believes it exists. Doesn't matter if it's the middle of the night, or the middle of the day. Stupid shit like going door to door and writing "fuck you" notes will get you no where. It's attitudes like these that made them just leave a note in the first place. Consider that they were being quite nice by not calling the cops or fucking with your bike to start with. I'll guarantee you that with any of these attitudes, you'll loose. All they're asking for is a little common courtesy. Now if it's noon, then I can see your side to a point. It's still not polite to being revving the tits off of it, just because you can. Some people do still try to enjoy the peace and quiet of being at home. I NEVER do anything to piss my neighbors off. I don't wheelie up and down the road, I don't see how many car alarms I can set of from my house a 2 in the morning, and I don't ride 60MPh down our common street. These are just things you have to give up when you decide to live somewhere. If you want to go do it in some other neighborhood where they don't know you, then have at it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wow, some of you people (easily the first 5 posters) are a bunch of morons. No other way to put it. The note was a request to quiet down. That's all. Given the loud nature of motorcycles in general, I can understand that. Why can't you? Why some of you people think that everyone gains the same amounts of pleasure as we do from hearing a motorcycle engine in the morning can be summed up in one word: egocentric. There's nothing wrong with someone asking that you quiet down. Stop thinking like a toddler ("me, me, me") and accept the fact that when living around others, it sometimes takes a modicum of respect and courtesy to co-habitate in peace.

To the guy who received the note (and anyone else in the future), I highly suggest you NOT act like a dick like these squids here are suggesting. Don't further the stereotype that all motorcyclists are a bunch of inconsiderate & loud neanderthals. Act like a adult. Simply being more quiet in the mornings isn't gonna take any fun out of motorcycling. But it just might gain you some respect and appreciation from non-bikers (especially your neigbors in this case).

inca jones

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just remember... you give respect, you get respect. And sometimes you will receive more respect the what you give. By no means should you have to push your bike, to satisfiy your neighbors, but on the same token as long as you are not revving your engine to warm it up then there should be no problems with the noise level.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Neighbors are just that....neighbors. You have to respect them, the way you want them to respect you. How pissed would you be if, on your day off, at 6 a.m., some asswipe started up his Mustang or Z28, with Flowmasters installed, and revved it, or even let it idle for 10 minutes and kept you from sleeping? They could have talked to you personally, but as I've learned from living in an apartment, sometimes you don't see your neighbors very often. Maybe leaving a note was the quickest way to relay their concerns.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Again I agree with you Inca....when I go out for rides at 7 in the morning with my father I help him push his bike...a harley...with full out straight pipes that would wake the neighborhood...down the block to make sure we dont wake anyone up....you could also try instead of warming your bike up in your neighbor hood...turning on the choke and riding with it on to warm up the bike faster instead of doing it in your driveway or carlot....just dont write a nasty note and get your bike damaged cause thats not good [:M81]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Didn't I already see this on "COPS"?

Definitely get a Scorpio alarm.
it has a perimitor sensor, so if they try to vandalize you bike, it will go off......

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.