Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to full exhaust systems, most say that Akrapovic is an excellent exhaust with superb fit and finish, but is pricey at around $1399.00. It has been mentioned that a great alternative is to buy the Arata Ti system at $1099.00. After doing some research on the net, I found Starcycle.com which will sell its Akrapovic Racing Full Ti system for $1089.00. Therefore, if both systems are the same price I will most likely buy Akra, but I would like to know if anyone has purchased an exhaust system from this company? Are they a reliable supplier (any hidden costs[xx(])?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
I bought my akra evo at Hardracing.com with power commander. total cost to my door in texas was 1522.00. It only took 3 days to get here. I love my system and the sound of it is awsome at 9,000RPM and up. Im not sure if the price of the Evo system has dropped at Hardracing.com its been about 4 or 5 months since i purchased mine. They were very friendly over phone and had my order out promtly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
Yeah, I spotted that bit too meangreen. The Evo system is COMPLETELY ti from headers to flanges to inner core to cannister. The Race system uses stainless headers, despite being the same design and having the same power characteristics. Can't beat the Evo imo.

To get back to your original question Hansel, Wan2Fly of this forum ordered several parts off Starcycle (including the PCIIIusb) and reported being extremely pleased with them. He's also north of the border.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by dj dunzie
Yeah, I spotted that bit too meangreen. The Evo system is COMPLETELY ti from headers to flanges to inner core to cannister. The Race system uses stainless headers, despite being the same design and having the same power characteristics. Can't beat the Evo imo.

To get back to your original question Hansel, Wan2Fly of this forum ordered several parts off Starcycle (including the PCIIIusb) and reported being extremely pleased with them. He's also north of the border.
DJ,
you say "Can't beat the Evo imo", but if the both systems (race and evo) have the same design and power characteristics, why would you pay an extra $300.00 for the Evo? Yes, the headers are Ti on the Evo, but you can't even see them unless you take the side fairings off. I could understand somebody wanting the Evo if they owned a Z1000 style bike were the headers are always seen, but not on a bike like ours. The only difference that I could see between Evo and Race was weight, 1.5 pounds lighter for the Evo. For 1.5 pounds, I would rather go on a diet and save the money, or is there another advantage that Ti offers that I am not aware of (for ex. durability)[?].
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
yes ti exhaust are more durable than regualar. Ti has strength characteristics and corrosion chararcteristics that go far beyond steele. Thats why golf club manufactures can make such large golf club heads out of Ti because they can make extremley thin walls(due to its strength) and (larger club heads due to its weight savings), but still stand up to the impact of the club & ball. Ti also does not rust. I can not verify this but IMO i would think Ti makes a different sound (wether better or worse) due to the differences in wall thickness and just the make-up of the material verses regular steele. Its kinda like tapping on a coke can(aluminum) and tapping on a steele pipe, they both would make a different sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
Originally posted by godsdozer
yes ti exhaust are more durable than regualar. Ti has strength characteristics and corrosion chararcteristics that go far beyond steele. Thats why golf club manufactures can make such large golf club heads out of Ti because they can make extremley thin walls(due to its strength) and (larger club heads due to its weight savings), but still stand up to the impact of the club & ball. Ti also does not rust. I can not verify this but IMO i would think Ti makes a different sound (wether better or worse) due to the differences in wall thickness and just the make-up of the material verses regular steele. Its kinda like tapping on a coke can(aluminum) and tapping on a steele pipe, they both would make a different sound.
Due to the xtreme heat exhaust systems are subjected to will cause Ti to become brittle & have been reported to crack over time(how much i don't know)where as SS/mild steel will not have this problem as has been the case for many years leading up to the use of Ti, hence manufactures still use SS/mild steel not only because of this but for cost reasons.

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
Hansel, let me clarify. I think you can't beat the Evo for the best all-around exhaust available. I don't mean to say that it will PERFORM better than the Race (it clearly shouldn't) and yes it's only a slight weight savings. Ti is the material of choice in all high-end systems, and that's what I meant.

Daddy, I would like to see where you get the claim from that Ti systems are less capable of withstanding heat in motorcycle applications. I have spoken to Akrapovic reps at Steen Racing in Calgary and they have assured me there are no known issues anywhere with any Evolution system becoming brittle or cracking. I guess I just question the source you got this from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
The only reason i know about Ti is my background in Golf. I can assure you that Ti material is superior in every way to steele. The reason they still make regular exhaust is simply because the general buying population will not pay what Titainium exhaust and other products made of titainium cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Hansel, get the Arata, unless you want the exclusivity of the racing replica coolness. The Arata makes tons of power (check out Dan Kyle's site at Kyleusa.com) and look at the Dyno sheets. Hook yourself up with the PC from him with his Arata map. You won't be disappointed. If you've seen both systems side by side you'll know the quality and finish of BOTH systems is comparable. The Arata makes awesome power (throughout the RPM range) and has better sound (assuming you're in it for the sound). Assuming you did a search you found TONS of opinions and arguements on this subject. You'll save yourself some dough with the Arata. If you're really worried about price or exclusivity, do what I did and get the Moriwaki full system from bvh motorsports at www.bigvalleyhonda.com . NOBODY has this system. But it's not full ti either. The headers are SS. It's still beautiful, even when smashed after a lowside. And yes, my head is up Dan Kyle's butt. :D Killer customer service and the guy KNOWS his stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
Originally posted by dj dunzie
Hansel, let me clarify. I think you can't beat the Evo for the best all-around exhaust available. I don't mean to say that it will PERFORM better than the Race (it clearly shouldn't) and yes it's only a slight weight savings. Ti is the material of choice in all high-end systems, and that's what I meant.

Daddy, I would like to see where you get the claim from that Ti systems are less capable of withstanding heat in motorcycle applications. I have spoken to Akrapovic reps at Steen Racing in Calgary and they have assured me there are no known issues anywhere with any Evolution system becoming brittle or cracking. I guess I just question the source you got this from.
The claim or actual fact is through the various forums i'm on everyday 4-5 constantly and have read factual info regarding the cracking issue at hand (i wasn't speaking specifically about Akra) although very rare it has happened. With that said we know theres OEM full Ti systems on bikes these days but like many things theres numerous grades of Ti just like Alum, mild steel, or ANY item we choose to discuss. The OEM Ti systems are of not only a thicker material(which makes a big diff) but quite possibly a lesser grade to keep costs down but for some reason are holding up well.

time for work...

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dj dunzie, thanks for your input and clearing that up, I respect your opinion, but I personally would rather save the money and get Stainless steel.

Scootergmc, you bring up a good point, which is that Dan has done extensive R&D with his exhaust for the 636 and could provide me with a better (I would think) PCIII mapping for my bike then a generic mapping obtained for the Akrapovic. Its something I have to consider, unless I decide to get a custom map for my bike, which a lot of guys on this site have suggested is the way to go. In regards to price there about the same $1089.00 VS $1099.00. Thanks for the info.

Big Daddy, Do you remember where you read this info (article or Topic id), because I would like to obtain more information on the subject of Ti failures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
i think it's funny whenever there's a question on this forum about these two particular exhausts, akropovic seems to win all the fit and finish points. arata on the other hand seems to win all the performance points. just something to think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
I've seen them side by side. NO DIFFERENCE. SAME KILLER QUALITY. Both are seriously impressive. You'll just find more people on this forum have the Akrapovic than the Arata. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
I concur with scooterman, the ARATA is a work of art and gives nothing up to Akra in any way, shape or form, and thats the truth..[:p]

Hansel023 it was from the R1-forum a couple of years ago that contained actual pics of an aftermaket system, but alas i didn't save it.

BD
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top